News Simplicity Drop Side Cribs Recalled by Retailers Due to Risk of Death from Suffocation

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
The crib's plastic hardware can break or deform, causing the drop side to detach. When the drop side detaches, it creates space between the drop side and the crib mattress. Infants and toddlers can roll into this space and become entrapped which can lead to suffocation.

More...

ADS

Mae

This same crib had a recall about a year ago. This is the one we have. :rolleyes:

*Off to see if ours is recalled.*

Thanks.
Hadn't seen this recall yet.

ETA:
Is mine recalled? I don't quite understand and I can't find the model number. I see how they said...
This recall involves all drop side cribs with a different or “newer” style of plastic hardware from those cribs recalled in September 2007. This newer style of Simplicity hardware can be identified by a flexible plastic tab at the top of the lower tracks
As I understand this, mine would NOT be involved in the recall because the "flexible plastic tab" is at the BOTTOM.
Correct?
My crib:
DSCI5344.jpg

The recalled image:
09260d1.jpg

Last edited:

mykidsmylife

My model number isnt on there, but mine has that tab on it. I am so pissed. I cannot just take mine back to Walmart as I am in Germany.

2BunniesMommy

This same crib had a recall about a year ago. This is the one we have. :rolleyes:

*Off to see if ours is recalled.*

Thanks.
Hadn't seen this recall yet.

ETA:
Is mine recalled? I don't quite understand and I can't find the model number. I see how they said... As I understand this, mine would NOT be involved in the recall because the "flexible plastic tab" is at the BOTTOM.
Correct?
My crib:
DSCI5344.jpg

The recalled image:
09260d1.jpg

When was yours bought? I am pretty sure it was recalled in the 9/2007 or the 9/2008 recall. Go to the CPSC website, or call them to be sure.

Hopefully you are lucky and it is ok, but I wouldn't use it until you know for sure.

I knew I shouldn't have bought this crib.. we bought the first one and it was recalled in the first recall. now this one. It's going back to Walmart monday morning (I am not about to fight the sunday crowd there! Luckily, my son only naps in it and has only been doing that for a couple weeks. he is a cosleeper. However, my older son used the same crib full time.

Mae

When was yours bought? I am pretty sure it was recalled in the 9/2007 or the 9/2008 recall. Go to the CPSC website, or call them to be sure.

Hopefully you are lucky and it is ok, but I wouldn't use it until you know for sure.

Yep you're right. We didn't have the crib at that time of the recall, a friend of ours was using it.
Here's the link to the older recall http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07307.html

Read the red at the very top.
Note: The firm appears to no longer conduct day-to-day operations. Repair kits are no longer available to fix these recalled cribs. Parents and caregivers are advised to dispose of these cribs, even if it is believed that the hardware and drop side have been installed correctly. All of the recalled cribs have the potential to pose a danger to young children.

Uh, so what am I supposed to do??

2BunniesMommy

Yep you're right. We didn't have the crib at that time of the recall, a friend of ours was using it.
Here's the link to the older recall http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07307.html

Read the red at the very top.

Uh, so what am I supposed to do??

Yeah, Simplicity is no longer around. Found that out just before my Fisher Price labelled but made by Simplicity Rainforst Playard was recalled. I called Fisher Price because one side kept collapsing and they told me that they didn't make it, Simplicity did, but Simplicity had gone out of business. They also said since it had their name on it, they would stand by it and had me send it in and sent me a refund. A very short time later it was recalled for the same reason.

Sorry to hijack.

Now to answer your question of what to do...did you buy it at a store you have locally? If so, I would call and see if they will take it back. Since the company no longer exists and you can't repair it, you should not be stuck with something unsafe and being out the $ on it too. You need to be able to replace the crib. So, even though it is an older recall, they may take care of it. I figure it is worth a try, worse that will happen is they will say no and you will be where you are now. They may even just think it is one of the current recalls because they are probably getting so many and don't even check to see where the tab is. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

My baby is sleeping in her pack and play until I have help to get the crib apart and back to the store. Something I am really dreading because it is huge with a changer and drawers etc at the end.

mine is # 8745 purchased at Walmart. I cannot for the life of me recall how much I paid for it because I bought it with a slew of other items when we had to start from scratch after Hurricane Katrina. Does anyone know what the price of it was? I want to know what I am getting so I can immediately come home and purchase another crib... and figure out what hte heck I am going to do with no crib for a couple weeks... It was the 4 in 1 that has a trundle drawer.

crunchierthanthou

mine is # 8745 purchased at Walmart. I cannot for the life of me recall how much I paid for it because I bought it with a slew of other items when we had to start from scratch after Hurricane Katrina. Does anyone know what the price of it was? I want to know what I am getting so I can immediately come home and purchase another crib... and figure out what hte heck I am going to do with no crib for a couple weeks... It was the 4 in 1 that has a trundle drawer.

the Aspen?

You should be able to find something in-store locally. It might not be your #1 pick, but is probably better than being without for a couple weeks. Kmart had some nice ones 40% off when I was there today. If I would have been more insistent about cash back at walmart, there was one I would have bought.

yep, I think that is the one. I couldn't find it when I searched earlier. Do you think I could insist on cash? I don't have a receipt or even the box. I called this evening and they told me to bring it in the morning when highler level managers are in. I feel it is going to be a huge pain in the butt. Walmart sucks with returns, which is why I RARELY ever set foot in one these days. My MIL bought my son a toy for christmas year before last. she taped the gift reciept to the box. she showed me the toy online before purchasing it. Well, turns out he got 2 of the same toy for christmas. I returned the one she bought because she included the gift reciept. they tried to give me like $18 for it when I KNOW she paid $42 plus tax for it BEFORE christmas. They told me that they give the refund for the current selling price because it wasn't bought at that specific store. it was bought at her store an hour away. I threw a fit and the manager went in the back for a good long time to "look up the selling price the day it was purchased". sure enough, it was $42 plus tax. I was returning the stupid thing only like 2 weeks after it was purchased! Had I now known what my MIL paid, walmart would have screwed us over. I avoid them as much as possible now..... So yea, not looking forward to tomorrow. LOL I wish I could get cash because I would certainly shop elsewhere. they don't have any decent cribs i like in store.

crunchierthanthou

I think I could have pushed for cash at my store, but was already feeling fortunate enough to get full original price because I'd bought it on CL. :eek: The manager was kind of hemming and hawing and asking if I'd be alright with store credit. I said okay and he sincerely thanked me - like he would have given cash if I had insisted but was glad to not have that fight. :shrug-shoulders:

I guess I will play it by ear. I would love to walk out with cash so I can go somewhere else. I really hate walmart with a passion these days... .. plus, I don't see any crib I want.

2BunniesMommy

I returned mine yesterday. Other than it taking 4 employees before they figured out what they were supposed to do, it was pretty painless.

I went in armed with a printout of the recall and one of my walmart.com order from the history. First person, that puts the sticker on returns didn't have a clue what to do with a recall, but did feel the need to tell the CS person why I was there for me. She wasn't sure what to do and pulled out a recall book and flipped to the right page, but couldn't find the right model number. I was of course reading it upside down trying to get this taken care of. I showed her where at the bottom of the page it said page 1 of 3 and suggested she take it out of the sleeve to see what the other pages said. Then I found it and showed her where the numbers matched up with the models number on my crib.

It was a little strange because it was listed as box 1 and box 2 with different upcs on them. I showed her that on my order it was listed as two different things too, even though it was really only 1 item. It did come in two boxes. Ours was a crib with an attached changing table at one end. She was asking the other CS next to her and she didn't have a clue either. Then they saw someone higher up walking by and she said you should ask so and so. So this other person came over and walked her through it.

Here is the part that is important to you...
I had my order printout, but no receipt. So, it was the same as no receipt. When the one was asking the other, she kept telling her she needed to override the no receipt so that she could give me cash because it was a recall.

Then it came up at around $2.50 more than what I paid and they couldn't figure that out. I said I thought that the tax rate had gone up since I bought it and maybe that was the reason. The one that knew what was gonig on asked when I bought it and when I said a year ago she agreed that was the reason.

DD is using a pack and play at this point. I am having trouble finding a crib I like. Since she is almost 9 mo old, I don't want to pay as much as I did. We were still using the storage area of the changer portion, but she had gotten too big to change her on it. I also would like to get one with a rail the doesn't move so I don't have to worry about it having any issues and those seem to cost more.

Anyway, as long as yours has the model number on it, it should not be a problem.

it took me close to 45 minutes to get mine returned this morning. Someone from baby dept had to be called, then that person had to go look it up. tick tock she finally comes back. Tick tock to wait for a manager to come up to assist in the return since it was a recall. Then, it rings up for $100. I KNOW I paid like $150 or so for it and even on their website its saying 128.84. So, manager goes off to a computer to look it up. He comes back with the 128.84 number. I just took it and got it on a gift card. Honestly, I jsut didn't even feel like fighting. It was already taking way longer than it should have. I just wanted it to be done. I am normally confrontational when I am being shortchanged. I may call corporate and speak to them and see if I can go back in and fix it all. Sometimes fighting with them in the store is pointless.

swtgi1982

it took me close to 45 minutes to get mine returned this morning. Someone from baby dept had to be called, then that person had to go look it up. tick tock she finally comes back. Tick tock to wait for a manager to come up to assist in the return since it was a recall. Then, it rings up for $100. I KNOW I paid like $150 or so for it and even on their website its saying 128.84. So, manager goes off to a computer to look it up. He comes back with the 128.84 number. I just took it and got it on a gift card. Honestly, I jsut didn't even feel like fighting. It was already taking way longer than it should have. I just wanted it to be done. I am normally confrontational when I am being shortchanged. I may call corporate and speak to them and see if I can go back in and fix it all. Sometimes fighting with them in the store is pointless.

Did they force you to get this on a gift card? Because it is a recall they are not allowed to do that. You have to be given the option of cash back. Also where was this at? Just from the sound of things I think I already know where but just want to check before I take mine back.

it was at walmart and they told me they could only give me a gift card. I sucked it up and ordered a crib from their website last night. Part of me wants to cancel and fight for cash....

ETA... I just called customer service and that was ZERO help. She advised me to call the store and ask them. um.. hello.. I just told you they told me they could only give me a gift card! Aren't the people at the corporate call center suppose to know more about policy?

As for the order I placed less then 14 hours ago, it can't be canceled now per the website.

swtgi1982

it was at walmart and they told me they could only give me a gift card. I sucked it up and ordered a crib from their website last night. Part of me wants to cancel and fight for cash....

ETA... I just called customer service and that was ZERO help. She advised me to call the store and ask them. um.. hello.. I just told you they told me they could only give me a gift card! Aren't the people at the corporate call center suppose to know more about policy?

As for the order I placed less then 14 hours ago, it can't be canceled now per the website.

I know someone who works at a Wal-Mart and your store went against policy. They are only suppose to give gift cards like that for normal returns over 90 days or with out a receipt. With a recall like this they are suppose to offer you cash, but they can give you the option for a gift card if you want it. But at 21 months I would honestly just go with a toddler bed for you child, why buy another crib with all the recalls as you child is getting close enough anyways to using a toddler bed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC