Not OK to sleep in booster?

InTheWoods

Seeing the other post w/ poll about when is a kid ready to sit in a booster and reading some of the responses prompted this question: Is it not okay for a child to sleep in a booster seat?

Is it unsafe? Would s/he slump? I'm talking about a high-back booster w/ SIP.

DS is 5.5yo and sleeps in the car 2-3 times a week. Harnessed seat in my car, booster in DH's.

Kristin

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
well, the issue with sleeping in a booster would be that the child would slump or not be properly position for the seatbelt to work properly in the event of a crash.

InTheWoods

Thanks, Amber, that's what I was guessing.

With the whole slump-as-you-sleep bit, DH should be in a 5-pt. harness, too.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My daugher can sleep in her Parkway but she doesn't slup. She leans her head back and sleeps with her mouth hanging open like she is trying to catch flies. I think it depends on how the child sleeps in their booster.

supercrunch

When my dd falls asleep in the turbo booster, she often falls nearly completely out of the thing. I spend a lot of time pulling over and propping her back up. I'll have to take a pic next time she does it when I have my camera with me. It scares me to death.

I am so glad the Radian is on it's way to my house. I will feel so much better knowing that she won't slump out of the belt.

mamato2

Pulling the shoulder belt all the way out and letting it 'ratchet' back once the child is buckled into the booster should help some in preventing the 'slumping'. Once the belt is locked the child can only move so far forward. With a hbb the head should also not be able to 'flop' as far due to the wings giving some support. If I had a child who tended to fall asleep in the car ( in a booster) I'd lock the belt and use a hbb.
C.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL on that Parkway visual, that's how my DD sleeps, too!

The Turbo is kind of harder to not fall out of when you're asleep than the Britaxes... kids should be taught to turn their heads sideways, like they are looking out the window, then their foreheads hit the wings of the seat and they are less likely to fall out (this used to be a huge point of posting when we were putting little tiny kids in Starriser Comfies, which have almost no head support... someone asked this question like every day!)

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Pulling the shoulder belt all the way out and letting it 'ratchet' back once the child is buckled into the booster should help some in preventing the 'slumping'. Once the belt is locked the child can only move so far forward. With a hbb the head should also not be able to 'flop' as far due to the wings giving some support. If I had a child who tended to fall asleep in the car ( in a booster) I'd lock the belt and use a hbb.
C.

that would work IF the seat belts lock up... they don't always, so like in my land rover my dd (almost 5) can sleep well in the turbo b/c my seat blets do that, but in my intrepid there is NO way she can use a booster at all, light weight locking latch plate, she slups, falls, leans, NOT ready for a booster unless i can lock the seat belt! LOL

tiggercat

My 6 yr old sleeps in his booster all the time. He rides in a Parkway 90% of the time, and he is able to sleep without slumping out of position. He also leans his head back and his mouth falls open! LOL He can't sleep in the high back Turbo without falling over, so that seat is used only with my inlaws because they don't take him for long drives where he is likely to fall asleep.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Haha that is so funny that there are so many kids sleeping the same way in the Parkway! We should all post pictures...I crack up everytime I see my daughter sleeping like that!:D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My 6 yr old sleeps in his booster all the time. He rides in a Parkway 90% of the time, and he is able to sleep without slumping out of position. He also leans his head back and his mouth falls open! LOL He can't sleep in the high back Turbo without falling over, so that seat is used only with my inlaws because they don't take him for long drives where he is likely to fall asleep.

Hijacking thread...
No WAY! Greg is NOT 6! I remember when he was 2! :D

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Backless boosters are really impossible for most young kids to stay properly positioned when sleeping, even with ALR -- Leila does slump out of the B510 as well if the ALR isn't engaged.... But she does fine in the Parkway without ALR :)

skaterbabs

The Parkway is much better for car sleepers than the other boosters I've worked with, especially the TB.

Michi

The turbo was awful for sleeping - I would find my DD like this...with the belt cutting across her abdomen
IMG_1657_1.jpg

Our Monarchs have been much better...now she just leans her head...( and I also see her 'catching flies' a lot too!) ;)

Loves2sing

This scares me a bit! I have the Radian for my daughter so she'll be in that for a long time yet, but she is a major car sleeper! And we do a lot of travelling in the car, (she's been from Calgary Alberta, to Vegas, and back, and we drive a 6 hour each way drive about once a month) Which Booster would you all recommend for my little sleeper? Keeping in mind that there will probably be more and better options by the time she is at that stage. She isn't even 2 yet.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Parkway, if it's still out... just keep an eye open as the time approaches, you have a couple years at least, there could be way better things out!

skaterbabs

Michi, I have a similar picture of CJ at age 7 in the TB. I have it titled "why a 7 yo needs a booster". lol I used it as my sig for a while - with the VA law change I guess I should bring it out.:whistle:

Jordynsmama

For an older kid that can unconciously keep there body up I would say its fine.
We had a evenflo big kid delux and my 4.5 yr old dd would totally slump over completely. OMG. not good. So I got rid of that and got the PW. She sleeps wonderfully in it. Her head never falls. Then of course I got the regent and she sleeps the same in that and the pw, except in the regent her whole body can relax better and lean.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My dd1 does the lift the legs up thing when she sleeps too. SHe is 11yo and fits the adult belt, but I have low seat backs so she uses a BG. She says she lifts her feet up because the seat of the BG is not deep enough and cuts off the circulation to her feet. I'm considering getting her the Evenflo Confidence because the depth of the seat is adjustable. In my ex-MIL's full size van, she doesn't fit the belt in the 3rd row (the kind that turns into a bed, I don't fit either and I'm 5'5") This seat has head restraints so she uses the base of an Intera in that car.

On the other hand my DS can sleep perfectly fine in a backless booster, which is ironic when you consider I have to watch him like a hawk in a booster when he is awake.

Kim, mom to Becky 11yo, 5"1" 75#,Danny 7yo 17" at shoulders, 46#, and Hope 5yo 15.5" at shoulders 55#

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC