1975 VW Bug

CathyandBrandon

We are going to be getting this up and running and eventually the kids are going to want to ride in it but no shoulder belts in the back. Can those be put in? And Of course if it's just one of them riding with him then they can sit up front brandon uses a backless booster when he goes with dad anyway.

ADS

southpawboston

it may not be possible, you could check with the dealer of perhaps find some VW beetle forums to post your question (forums for specific cars often have members who know far more than anyone from a dealer, including the svc managers).

if you can't retrofit shoulder belts in there, you may be able to retrofit a saferider vest.

scatterbunny

I'm not sure the Ride Safer travel vest would be an option because it needs a tether anchor. The EZOn products would be better-suited, I think, because EZOn has their own tether anchor kit. But the seatbacks would need to be tall enough, or you'd have to use the highback booster that goes with the EZOn harness.

Hope you can get shoulderbelts installed!

southpawboston

I'm not sure the Ride Safer travel vest would be an option because it needs a tether anchor. The EZOn products would be better-suited, I think, because EZOn has their own tether anchor kit.

right, i was thinking that there's a chance a TA can be installed in the beetle, if not a shoulder belt anchor point. but there's a good chance that neither is possible in a car that old.

wondering1

Sounds like fun! There are many enthusiasts who can help you. Getting seats with headrests would be important if the car does not have adequate head protection.

TheRealMacGyver

Wondering1 try this forum: http://www.dune-buggy.com/ although they are more geared towards rail, fiberglass, and baja buggies, they are a very knowledgable bunch of people (kind of like here). I used them several years ago when I built a fiberglass Manx replica dune buggy and I couldn't have done it without them! Good luck

southpawboston

Sounds like fun! There are many enthusiasts who can help you. Getting seats with headrests would be important if the car does not have adequate head protection.

the front seats already have them for that year, but not in the rear. i don't see how you could get new seats back there with headrests without going totally custom... and way expensive.

wondering1

Nodding, the nice thing about a 5-point harness is that it gives the head protection. Are the front head rests high enough to go to eye level or top of ear level for the front seat passengers? It is hard to tell from the photos!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC