Looking for new car seat rec's - starting over

night

Hi everyone!

I am looking at starting fresh with my car seats as I am expecting my 2nd. I have two car seats and both of them I've had issues with, mainly because my DD is very tall for her age.

When my DD was a baby we used the car seat from this travel system from Graco:

http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=3656&s

I think that is that SnugRide (but correct me if I am wrong). The seat itself worked great, the problem is she outgrew that one and we had her in a FF seat sooner than I was intially comfortable with.

We then moved her to her current seat which is also from Graco - Platinum CarGo Booster Seat:

http://www.sears.ca/product/graco-platinum-cargo-harnessed-booster-seat/32275020?ptag=1

http://www.graco.net/e/item.asp?code=10969&s=0707HAH

She is still in the 5 point harness.

I'm trying to learn from past experiences and the problem is this. My DD who just turned 3 is 40.5" tall and 37 lbs. When I say she's tall for her age, I mean it. Because of her age I am not comfortable getting her out of a 5 Point Harness just yet into a booster - even though she's about to be able to fit in one. The Graco's Height Straps are just at their last possible fit and they won't make it to winter with her growing.

In which case I am looking 2 new car seats that I can invest in that would last me with both kids and any future children.

So I need advice on:

A) Best Car seat for tall kids for Infant to Convertible stage

B) Best Car seat for tall toddlers that'll keep 'em in a 5 Point Harness the longest. That meants the Tallest Height Strap.

I've done some research and I think in Canada, Britax's Frontier's straps go up to 18" in a 5 point.

In my parents car she uses the First Years Tru Fit and while the height straps are great, she's very uncomfortable in it because of the buckle in the seat. It's way too close to her body and it's a tight fit.

Any suggestions on makes??

:)

Thanks!

-

ADS

LittlePeanut

Actually the newest model of the Frontier is the XT and it harnesses to 20". This would be your best bet I think given her height and age. It also converts to a highback booster and has an 8 year expiry (I believe).

The bucket would still be suitable for the newborn and once the baby outgrows it, buy a good convertible to RF longer.

oddduck

In my parents car she uses the First Years Tru Fit and while the height straps are great, she's very uncomfortable in it because of the buckle in the seat. It's way too close to her body and it's a tight fit.

I just wanted to respond to this... The True Fit has multiple crotch adjustments. Push the crotch buckle and slide it out, there are multiple adjustments on it. It sounds like it is on the one closest to the body. You should be able to move it further out so it's more comfortable for your daughter.

dogmelissa

Can you sit her against a wall and measure her current torso height? It sounds like she is tall in the torso but just a confirmation: it'll help get better recommendations.

Have you checked out the high-weight harness seat thread? It lists THS (top harness slots) for all seats available in Canada.

My DD is in the Radian Premier - which not only has tall top harness slots but has a really high weight rating for ERF. Your daughter could still fit in it - by weight - rear facing!! It's one I'd highly recommend looking into for both children (it also has an 8 year expiry so if you have a third once DD has outgrown it, you would probably still be able to use it). It can be a tricky install though so you should be sure to try it before you commit to buying it (and check the successful install thread).

Melissa

Last edited:

night

Little Peanut - 20" for the Frontier XT? Wow! That's good to hear.

oddduck - That's one of the first things I checked in the True Fit when I saw her in it and from the looks of it, it's on the furthest one out. There's a huge measurement difference in the True Fit crotch buckle furthest slot position vs the Graco seat she's currently in. I don't know if they did something to shorten the buckle strap from underneath or if they just got a defectively short strap but I've read some other online reviews from parents who have a similar issue. Maybe it's just unfortunately her body shape and it doesn't work well with her. I am going to re-check it the next time they visit.

dogmelissa - That is a GREAT list that I stupidely didn't notice til after I posted my post. Her torso sitting with her bum against the wall to her shoulder top is almost 16". She's about 23" from head to floor.

Another huge issue with us with the car seats. We had to buy a new car just to accomodate them b/c our teensy Ford Focus ZX5 Hatchback wouldn't allow us to put the Graco SnugRide in any other place than the center. Then if I tried to add another car seat to either the right or left, forget it. Our front chairs would be moved so far up that either the driver couldn't properly drive or the passenger would be a sardine can. My husband is 6'2 and I am 5'11. Not comfortable.

I truly wish I had known then what I know now about my children's potential growth patterns. I also never would have gotten a Graco Quattro Tour Travel system just for the sake of saving a dollar with the stroller/car seat combo. I positively hate it. It's like a clunky beast. I'd rather now have invested in a Britax Marathon or something that could have stretched out for longer use with our kids. Go figure. You live and learn. That's why I don't want to make the same mistakes twice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC