Cosco Scenera

adbourgoin

I just bought this today as our spare car seat. I needed something that was light and easy to install to get in and out of the car.

I'm finding it REALLY hard to get it in tight. I'm trying to get it in RF but it is just not working and I'm about ready to give up and take it back to the store. Would it be worth spending the $25 extra to get an uptown? ....will that be any easier.

Any tips or anything to help get the cosco in tighter? I tried doing it with out a noddle and with a noddle and get the same result! I can get the base pretty tight (Not as tight as my MA) But the shell just flips all over the place.

HELP! :confused:

This is a video of how loose it is install with the LATCH.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/...ah again/?action=view&current=Savannah394.flv

ADS

RJB78

CPST Instructor
When testing for tightness, only check at the belt path, not at the upper part of the shell. As long as you have less than an inch of movement at the belt path, you're good to go. Thanks for the video!

adbourgoin

When testing for tightness, only check at the belt path, not at the upper part of the shell. As long as you have less than an inch of movement at the belt path, you're good to go. Thanks for the video!

So that is safe for it to move that much at the top? That just really looks unsafe to me.

Is the uptown easier to install and move less on the top?

I'm just lost! Not sure what to do. To keep it or take it back and get the uptown.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
All seats that can't be top tethered when RF will have movement at the top. It's been crash tested and deemed safe.

Susan

adbourgoin

I messed around with it a little more and got it much tighter!!

The top still moves a little like you guys said it would but not nearly as much!

Sceason1972

Is the foot of the seat on the pool noodles, or are they just filling that space behind it? I would think it would be tighter if the foot was pressing onto the noodle pyramid.

scatterbunny

Is the foot of the seat on the pool noodles, or are they just filling that space behind it? I would think it would be tighter if the foot was pressing onto the noodle pyramid.

:yeahthat: It's definitely hard to tell in the video, if the foot/front of the bottom of the Scenera shell is resting on the pool noodle pyramid, or not.

Here's how my friend's Scenera looks when installed RF with a pool noodle pyramid in her 99 Sable (with seatbelt; pay no attention to that; just the placement of the noodle pyramid :p ):

Last edited:

adbourgoin

I can not see your attached photo it tells me I do not have permission to access.

This is the video I took last night with it installed with out the noddle

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/...h again/?action=view&current=Coscocarseat.flv

Savannah081-3.jpg

Savannah080-4.jpg

It is kind of dark because it was 8 pm and the sun was going down but I wouldn't give up! lol

I will take better pictures today if I have time!

Should I still be using a noddle?? I just can not get it tight with one.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi adbourgoin, I'm wondering if you've checked your email or your spam folder for your confirmation email? You won't be in moderation once you respond to it and become fully registered :)

scatterbunny

It seems like a very tight install to me, without the noodle pyramid. :thumbsup: How old is the child who will be using it (wondering if it will be too upright without the noodles)?

Mom2One+One

Someone here gave me a WONDERFUL tip about installing the Scenera. I will try my best to describe it. When using the LATCH, tighten the strap as much as you can, then pull the cover off of the side of the car seat that the loose end of the LATCH belt is on. Pull that loose end (the end you pull when you are tightening it) back through the belt path and PULLLLLL. It makes the angle at which you are pulling better and I can usually get a little more slack out of it that way.

HTH!

And if someone can explain that better than I did, PLEASE feel free!!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
When using the LATCH, tighten the strap as much as you can, then pull the cover off of the side of the car seat that the loose end of the LATCH belt is on. Pull that loose end (the end you pull when you are tightening it) back through the belt path and PULLLLLL.

Right, I pretty much always yank the LATCH strap (or lap-only belt) through the belt path: I pull from the opposite side of the seat that I want tightened ... rather than pulling straight out or up. Pretty much always works for me.

Also, it might sound silly, but make sure you're not puting your weight onto the LATCH strap while trying to tighten (you'd be fighting against your self). Lots of people do this without realizing, which is why I like to lift up the cover to see everything I'm working with.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Videos illustrating your question! I love it! :D

Both of your videos appear to show acceptable installs. You ONLY check for movement at the belt path. When you've got your hand at the belt path in the videos, the movement is quite minimal. :thumbsup: The top of the shell is going to have a lot of movement - all RF carseats will, unless they allow RF tethering. Remember, they've been crash-tested like this!

Another thing I noticed - when you check for movement at the belt path, you want a simple Push-Pull (or Pull-Push) motion. First check for side-to-side movement, then try pulling it away from the vehicle seat (again, still just one hand at the belt path.)

In a crash, the forces are not going to jerk the carseat back and forth repeatedly - in most cases, it's only going to be a single impact, so the fact that you can jerk on it several times and make it loosen doesn't mean it wasn't an acceptable install in the first place. Jiggling, lifting, and slamming the carseat repeatedly will you give you a false anxiety. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC