Question Any way to tell if he will fit before we get there?

barkles2008

We are travelling in a few weeks. My sister has a Snugride 35 that she is willing to bring to the airport for us so that we can avoid travelling with our huge Alpha omega.

Little man is just below the height limit at the moment and I don't know if he will hit it or not before we get there, hope not. BUT, do I risk it?

Ironically his current car seat has the same height limit, but I can obviously check here at home before we leave, whereas the snug ride I can't.

Does anyone know how I can measure things (getting my sister to measure the seat) to guess if he will fit? Or in general are snug rides designed to handle a taller toddler

ADS

zactayaus

If you can measure his torso height (butt to shoulder) I'm sure someone on here can measure the top slot of their SR35 for you and then you'll know.

TerisBoys

Seat fit depends a lot on the build of the child. Some have long legs, some have short torsos.

Is there a BRU near you where you could try him in one? It's a fairly common seat.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No, walmart in Canada does not carry the Snugride 35.

Measuring head torso length or body length will also be useless with the SR35 because the seat is one of those magical seats that a kid can gain body length but still fit the seat the same. It's hard to explain until you see it happen, I think it's just due to the way the shell is curved. (Which would also make it very very difficult for your friend to get an accurate measurement of.)

How long in the body is your little guy? You mentioned that he's a toddler, how old is he and what size shirts does he wear? Does he carry most of his length in his legs or his body - or is he pretty evenly proportioned?

Most kids will still fit the seat at 32". Even tall torso kids are likely to make it to close to 32" in the seat - but I can't make a blanket statement because there are exceptions to every rule...

But if you say he's 11 months, 31.5" and carries his length in his legs, then I would tell you I'm 100% sure he'd fit the seat. So the answers to all those questions will help us give a good guess anyways. :thumbsup:

barkles2008

How long in the body is your little guy? You mentioned that he's a toddler, how old is he and what size shirts does he wear? Does he carry most of his length in his legs or his body - or is he pretty evenly proportioned?

He stands around 30", lying down the nurse measured 31.

Sitting (in a cloth diaper) and marking the wall (don't tell my husband ;) ) from the floor to top of his head: 20"

To his shoulders, 12"

so I guess he is fairly evenly proportioned.

He is 12 months. Wears a 12-18 month shirt - mostly for sleeve length (he is skinny but long) - 20lbs 6 oz

tam_shops

My guy is 18 months, he has a SUPER long torso. I mean in 2T diaper shirts (for length) & 12 month pants. So long when he was born that the doc looked at him & said, "there is something *funny* with him, but i can't figure out what it is". I asked if it was his long torso...We all have a long torso, but his is Super long! LOL

Point being, he was 31" when his head started to get too close to the top of his SS1. And, even that his head was one inch from the lip, not one inch from the top of the shell. Not 100% sure which is technically outgrown, know he had a bit of space left, but why bother I had a spare MA for him...

I know Sears & TRU have the SR seats, a few days before the trip you could double check. Really, until he's in the seat at the time, you're not going to know 100%...

Oh, just re-read your last post, saw he was only 1yo. Both my guy & my two friends kids that used the SS1 were 18months when they outgrew it, so personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless he's 100% for height, which I don't think 30" is...

tam

barkles2008

Well my sister`s measurements were this:
12inches to the top strap, 21 inches to the careseat top

His measurements are:

Sitting to top of his head: 20"
Sitting to his shoulders, 12"

His current seat is:
seat to harness: 11"

Dillipop

Well my sister`s measurements were this:
12inches to the top strap, 21 inches to the careseat top

His measurements are:

Sitting to top of his head: 20"
Sitting to his shoulders, 12"

His current seat is:
seat to harness: 11"

If he is 20 inches to top of head and the seat is 21 inches to top of seat, it's unlikely he'll fit and I'd be uncomfortable counting on him fitting when you got there. ETA- this is because the snugride 35 is outgrown when the child's head is 1 inch from the top of the shell.

barkles2008

well here is an interesting change. A nurse measured him again for his immunization appt (different nurse than last time) and he was 4 cm shorter!! :doh:

Anyways, highlights to me how inaccurate "height" measurements can be and so we won't be chancing it and will bring our own seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC