New Graco Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

veggiegirl228

That looks like a really nice seat, next time i'm in a store i'm going to look and see if I spot it, maybe get some pictures just for fun

ADS

Brycen'sMommy

I'm going to have to disagree with others here and say that as a BACK UP seat I think it would be fine. But I'd definately leave him RF in the main car. With a 14" torso there can't be too many seats that will keep him RF too much longer, anyway.

I agree. My 18 month old has a 14.5" torso and has outgrown his FPSVD RF. I think this seat would be fine for a back up.

DiaSmall

I just called Graco 2x and talked to two differnt reps who barely knew what seat I was asking about. both gave me the standard "6yr lifespan for their carseats" spill.

*sigh* we'll wait till we get the manual for sure.

ThreeBeans

I'm going to have to disagree with others here and say that as a BACK UP seat I think it would be fine. But I'd definately leave him RF in the main car. With a 14" torso there can't be too many seats that will keep him RF too much longer, anyway.

This is incorrect.

ThreeBeans

I agree. My 18 month old has a 14.5" torso and has outgrown his FPSVD RF. I think this seat would be fine for a back up.

How do you figure? I have a 3 year old who has a 15 1/8" torso who would still fit rearfacing in that seat if he were under the weight limit.

ignora

Senior Community Member
I'm just happy they decided not to call it the Sprout... :rolleyes:

Or, was that another seat altogether?

Brycen'sMommy

How do you figure? I have a 3 year old who has a 15 1/8" torso who would still fit rearfacing in that seat if he were under the weight limit.

He had one inch of shell above his head. I don't know if it is the way he fit in the seat or the way it was installed but it was definitely outgrown. On another car seat board I visit a mom had to flip her DC in a FPSVD at 28 lbs, 38 inches and 12.5" torso so it is not impossible.

ThreeBeans

He had one inch of shell above his head. I don't know if it is the way he fit in the seat or the way it was installed but it was definitely outgrown. On another car seat board I visit a mom had to flip her DC in a FPSVD at 28 lbs, 38 inches and 12.5" torso so it is not impossible.

Any chance of you posting a photograph (you can chop out your baby's face). I'm having a very hard time envisioning this :confused:

(Also, does anyone know if Britax uses the 1" rule or the even-with-top-of-shell rule??)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

The seat should be able to be used until the head is *even* with the top of the shell... unless they've changed the rules again.

Check out this thread to make sure you are measuring correctly as well...http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

Jewels

Senior Community Member

Britax allows the head to be even with the top of the seat.

Here it shows you how to tell when a seat is outgrown by height.

If a torso is only 12.5" how can the head be that close to the top of the seat :confused:

BabyKaykes

I guess I'll have to explain myself.....

Not often is it that I recommend a seat over $150 as a backup. This rules out the Britax seats and the Radian. What's left that's actually a DECENT seat?

~The FPSVD is no longer in production, so there's no telling how old the DOM is. Also, maybe my kid doesn't weigh enough yet, but I have yet to measure the top slots over 16".
~The Apex has the headrest rule and is as much of a beast as the Regent.
~The ETA is a great choice, but the thing is a monster, and if she's putting it in a Camry, that's dang near half the back seat.
~2 more torso inches in the Scenera and my son will be too tall to RF in it, so I'd guess it's safe to say a 14" torso would be to tall.
~The Uptown is good, but I wouldn't recc a 16" top slot seat for a 14" torso'd kid
~Why get any of the Evenflo Combos when this has higher top slots, a higher weight limit, and converts to a backless?

Also, Isaiah has a good 4-5" above his head in the FPSVD, so I agree that a kid with a 14.5" torso should have a little more space for RF. But then again, my kid has NO neck, LOL!

skaterbabs

I don't think it's going to block your view any more than any other high back booster on the market.

For your son...since he's less than 2 and 30 pounds, I'd like to see him remain RF. I'm sure most others here would say the same. If you were to get it now...it would expire long before it's outgrown...so you'd need to buy something else.

Susan

:yeahthat: I have to laugh when I hear people talking about how much space convertible seats take up vision-wise. I can see FINE around my DD's seats (a MA and a Regent.) My sons' boosters on the other hand completely block off sight.

Your son should still be rear facing for a while yet, and there are several seats in which he would fit very well.

This is incorrect. There are several seats that the previous poster's child would fit rear facing. Children under two are significantly less safe forward facing. If there is a seat in which the child will fit rear facing, it is not a good choice to let that child be less safe simply because it's a "spare" seat.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It is very clearly stated in the FPSVD manual that it is outgrown RF when there is one inch of shell above the head.

Did you check out the link I provided?

My 2.5 year old, 28lb, 13" torsoed child still fits in the MA rearfacing. From my understanding the MA and FPSVD have pretty identical shells. :confused:

Brycen'sMommy

Did you check out the link I provided?

My 2.5 year old, 28lb, 13" torsoed child still fits in the MA rearfacing. From my understanding the MA and FPSVD have pretty identical shells. :confused:

Yes, I looked at the link and I am measuring correctly. I have been lurking on this board for over 2 years so I think I know when a car seat is outgrown RF.

I would post a pic but DH has the car with the FPSVD today and baby is napping. I can also link to the other board with the child that outgrew it with a 12.5" torso but I don't know if it is allowed.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yes, I looked at the link and I am measuring correctly. I have been lurking on this board for over 2 years so I think I know when a car seat is outgrown RF.

I would post a pic but DH has the car with the FPSVD today and baby is napping. I can also link to the other board with the child that outgrew it with a 12.5" torso but I don't know if it is allowed.

I was not implying that you don't know what you are doing. That thread was specifically created because it is a commonly asked question around here that confuses a lot of people. I'm sorry if that offended you.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
By the end of our conversation, she said she had three in stock...three of WHAT, I don't know, but I'm going to go find out! ;)

Uh, yeah...turns out they had three SNUGRIDES. Not exactly the same thing...:rolleyes:

I'll try to be patient until they arrive.

Brycen'sMommy

I was not implying that you don't know what you are doing. That thread was specifically created because it is a commonly asked question around here that confuses a lot of people. I'm sorry if that offended you.

I am not offended. I am just trying to show that sometimes torso height might not always be an accurate indication of when a seat is outgrown. Different kids can fit differently in a seat depending on the way they sit in it and how it is installed.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I can also link to the other board with the child that outgrew it with a 12.5" torso but I don't know if it is allowed.

I would love to see this as I cannot picture it in my head of how that is possible. If you don't want to post the link you could always pm it to me . . . if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC