Older(7+) dress wearing, harnessed girls

christineka

Anyone have one? How do your girls feel about being harnessed? Anyone have any pictures to share? A harness means the buckles are up front. I have no issues with my dds in boosters- the problem is buckling. I'm just looking at the options right now. Would you reharness a 10 yo who has been in a booster for 5 years, just so she could buckle easier?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper is 7 and the crotch strap doesn't bother her (except the RSTV).

If the 10 year old is ok with it, and fits, sure. My Nautilus took a trip to the airport and I wish it was here. Piper takes so much longer to buckle her Parkway.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Dresses are one reason my daughter wanted to be in a booster (at age 7+).

If I *had* to reharness a 10yo because there was no other way for everybody to be safe, I'd do it. But otherwise, I'd give her the choice.

skaterbabs

Joy is only 6, but she's gotten funny about modesty issues (hilarious considering she preferred being naked for about three years! lol) She doesn't really have a preference between her booster and her harnessed seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My girls are not that old but they wear dresses in the car all the time. They wear shorts, leggings, or capris under so the buckles don't bother them as much. And my oldest gets her own straps on and assists in pulling the dress where it needs to go (she can't quite buckle herself yet.) I think it will depend on the girl.

Maedze

No, I would not reharness a 10 year old, particularly a 10 year old who all ready may have social adjusting issues.

Nisha

No, I wouldn't re-harness a 10 yr old.

DD wears dresses / skirs most of the time and wears shorts/leggings/capris under them so buckling isn't an issue.

christineka

I think I have come up with a booster solution. My kids are already weirdos by sitting in booster seats. Their peers haven't sat in a car or booster seat for 5-6 years.

What if my almost 10 yo decides she would like to be harnessed? Back when ds1 had a radian, dd would ride in it whenever he was not around. She said she felt "secure" in the radian.

Pixels

If she *wants* to be harnessed, truely wants it, I would, probably. I'd also evaluate how the child is socialy, and if it would make her "weird"er, etc, I'd try not to.

You can turn the belly pad around and flip it upside down to help protect modesty. I saw pics on here, somewhere, once.

Nisha

What if my almost 10 yo decides she would like to be harnessed? Back when ds1 had a radian, dd would ride in it whenever he was not around. She said she felt "secure" in the radian.

If she *wants* to be harnessed, then I would be ok with it as long as it was her choice.

I would be more inclined to use a booster for school activities / around town and a harnessed seat for highway driving and longer distance travel though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC