Question Help there are too many options

Beautiful Freak

Hello I am new here and came because I am so conflicted about which seat. The more I read the worse it gets.

I have a 2007 Yukon XL it has a 2nd row bench seat and then 3rd row 2 individual seat 50/50 split.

I have a 7 yr old. 5 yr old in Nov, 2.5 yr old and a 1 yr old next week. One due in June 09.

We currently have the 2 younger in 2nd row in Britax Marathon 2.5 yr old Decathlon 1 yr old. 2 olders in 3rd row in belt positioning boosters.

They drive me nuts nuts nuts they will not stay in their seats with there seat belts on. Going out is not fun at all. I spend all my time pulling over and putting them back in.

We were thinking about getting 5 new seats all Radian 80. But then a friend of mine suggested the Grace Nautilus for the older 2. I have read everything here and am left :confused:

Can you help me please. I really want to get them good seats that will last, comfortable, they will stay in, and fit in my truck well. We have been through so many car seats in 7 yrs its crazy. I thought when I got the Britax it would all be solved but they are huge bulky and is it just me or do they covers seem crappy on them?

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
What are the torso heights (sitting against a wall, measure from floor to top of shoulder) and weights of each child?

Are you saying that your older two kids will not sit properly in their boosters?

Do the younger kids also escape their carseats?

Are your youngest two kids rear or forward facing?

skipspin

As long as they both have room in the GNs in the harness they should work well for you.

Somday you can pass them down to the younger kids as well, so it's not a waste if you can only use one for a year or so.

Can you fit an infant seat in the middle row with the MA and DC? If so then you will be all set :)

NannyMom

I agree that if you buy 2 Graco Nautiluses, you'll get lots of use out of them. My 5 year old sits in one and he loves hit. His 8 year old sister loves his seat too :) I think you should deffinetly try them in the seat first to make sure they still fit (I suspect they will). Just realize that if they sit in it in the store, they will actually fit in the seat differently when it's installed in your vehicle. And with so many kids, I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of the seat :)

Kat_Momof3

what is the height and weight of your older ones?

could you be more specific as to what they are doing that is not correct... are they unbuckling and jumping around, or are they wiggling?

with a 7yr old, unless there are special needs, I would consider this a disciplinary issue. He can do better and should know to do better and have the self-control to sit still.

with a 5yr old, it's debateable, so I'd think going back to a harness for awhile would be best.

And you didn't say if your 2yr old and 1yr old were ff or rf. Do you know the benefits of rearfacing for older babies/toddlers??

U

Unregistered

I will have to get height/weight measurements in a bit.

Yes its a disciplinary issue. They just take the seat belt off and get out of the seat. I have had a policeman talk to them, I have pulled over, I have talked to them, they have been punished for it they just don't care they do not listen about it in the truck.

I do know the benefits of extended RF and I believe that comes down to everyone's own person family decision and whats best for them when they turn them around after the height/weight/age requirement are met. The almost 3 yr old is not the 1 yr old is.

Really my question was do I buy 5 new Radians 3 that are 65 and 2 80 for the more comfortable padding for the younger 2. Or do I buy 2 Graco Nautilus and 3 Radians.

Is there another seat I should be considering? Has anyone gotten those specific types of seat installed in a Yukon XL?

Thanks

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Remember that the Radian 80 is the same height as a Radian 65, and since most kids outgrow by height, not weight, getting the 80 isn't really worth it. Without torso heights, it is hard to tell you if they will work for you.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Remember that the Radian 80 is the same height as a Radian 65, and since most kids outgrow by height, not weight, getting the 80 isn't really worth it. Without torso heights, it is hard to tell you if they will work for you.

The 80 comes with infant padding in it right? And is more cushioned padded then the 65? It looked like to me that the 65 did not have any sort of inserts or padding.

christineka

You can buy the extra padding separately. It is less expensive to buy the 65 and the padding than the 80 unless you find a great deal.

I would check on torso hight for the oldest two to see if they would get much use out of the radians. My kids are short and will fit to age 10 or so, but other kids outgrow the seat at age 6.

U

Unregistered

Okay that was fun. All my kids think I have lost my mind but they will get over it. Oh wait when is there a day that they don't think I have lost it. LOL

Measurements

7 YR DS

Height 47 3/4 inches
Weight 45.5 pounds
Torso 16 inches

5 YR old on 11/18 DD

Height 40 inches
Weight 32.5 pounds
Torso 13 15/16 almost 14 inches

2 YR 7 month old DS

Height 35 1/2 inches
Weight 29 pounds
Torso 12 15/16 almost 13 inches

1 yr old on Oct 15th DS

Height 27 3/4 inches on a moving target
Weight 20.5 pounds

I have come to the conclusion that all of my kids are shrimps except my 2 yr old.

cookie123

Your oldest 2 should fit awhile in the Nautilus. They have 18 inch top harness slots. Your youngest 2 should be okay in the - was it Marathons? Were they escaping their seats, too? Where were you going to put the baby again?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Target.com sells the Radian but it has not really been available for purchase in actual Target stores. Target.com allows carseat returns to any Target store and I'm guessing the Radian you purchased was likely an Internet return put out on the store shelf for sale. :twocents:

MissAllyLou

I just wanted to throw something out there: if your kids are 'escaping' their seatbelts, the Nautilus might not be the seat for them. The harness is REALLY easy to open, both the chest clip and the crotch buckle; I've got a 4 year old and a 6 year old who can do it themselves.

U

Unregistered

I just wanted to throw something out there: if your kids are 'escaping' their seatbelts, the Nautilus might not be the seat for them. The harness is REALLY easy to open, both the chest clip and the crotch buckle; I've got a 4 year old and a 6 year old who can do it themselves.

What would you suggest?

Kat_Momof3

I think it depends on the kid... Even Damian, who is almost 9 and used to unbuckle and buckle his own Regent and could do the Radian can't master the Nautilus buckle... pushing down is just too much.

The only time he managed it, his thumb was all red from doing it.

Ruthie can fasten herself in, but she can't undo the buckle... though she can undo the chest clip.

Now, if they just keep escaping, you can show them what special needs kids who do this in a 5-point harness end up in....

yep... harness vests that fasten in the back!!
http://www.ezonpro.com/index.shtml

Beautiful Freak

I think it depends on the kid... Even Damian, who is almost 9 and used to unbuckle and buckle his own Regent and could do the Radian can't master the Nautilus buckle... pushing down is just too much.

The only time he managed it, his thumb was all red from doing it.

Ruthie can fasten herself in, but she can't undo the buckle... though she can undo the chest clip.

Now, if they just keep escaping, you can show them what special needs kids who do this in a 5-point harness end up in....

yep... harness vests that fasten in the back!!
http://www.ezonpro.com/index.shtml

Its sad that I showed it to him and all he said was can I have it in red.:hitselfonhead:

Well I broke down and bought 2 GN at Wal-Mart last night. I got a good install and am quit impressed with them. I can not believe how heavy they are.

I was pissed though because I looked them up online and they were $139.98 but when I got to the store they were $149.98 and they would not give me that price instead they told me I could order it have it shipped to the store and get that price. :thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC