Problem Swappers - Please Read before you Swap!

ADS

April

I don't agree that we need more regulations with swap. If you go through PayPal, you have protection there--double if you use a credit card.

If you swap, there is an honor code there that is much more easily broken, but I don't think it's a moderator's job to police that.

I'd rather have buy/sell/trade at your own risk than not at all.

I do feel that a ban from swap isn't enough. I agree that at the very least, SCM access be removed. She violated a trust.

:yeahthat: to all of the above.

canadiangie

I will only add that crap like this makes me scared to swap again. Up until reading this thread I wouldn't have thought twice about trading/selling/buying with a regular poster like SIMHOB.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Me either. Had no issues. Did a phone order for a seat, like I did for a lot of other people. No problems. Kinda thinking, maybe she is going through something that we don't know about?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In the interest of fairness, to the best of my understanding the group of problematic transactions resulting in the ban all came to the attention of moderators at the same time. So this was not a case of this individual being given repeat chances. It was a case of this individual having a number of transactions at close to the same time and not following through on her end of the deal with any of them. This same thing can - and does - as those who have been members on other swap forums can attest to, happen on any swap forum regardless of how organized and regimented it is.

There have been cases of people who run coops (aka group buys,) on other boards repeated times with a great track record, and then all the sudden take all the coop money, don't order the goods, and are never heard from again.

Until I develop mind reading abilities, there is really no way to prevent anybody from doing this - swap is after all always going to involve a degree of trust and a degree of buyer beware, with extra insurance available through paypal or a credit card company when funds are involved.

Could there be more rules? Probably, but the more rules involved the more effort moderation becomes which will either result in longer delays in things being posted, or potentially becoming a burden more than the moderators are willing to deal with resulting in the closing of swap all together. And in the end, swap would still be buyer beware no matter how many rules are in place. However, if people have constructive suggestions then I would encourage you to start a thread in the feedback area of the forum suggesting them. (And please don't start more than one thread on swap feedback, keep it all within the same thread there to make it easiest.)

In the end, the forum guidelines are quite clear that action taken against a member is at the discretion of admin, and I would encourage those of you with concerns to PM Admin regarding them instead of discussing it further on this thread.
http://www.car-seat.org/announcement.php?f=6
Interpretation of our guidelines is at the discretion of the staff and not the member.
and
18. Moderators and the Admins have the final say on anything. While we try to be uniform and fair in our interpretations of the guidelines, this is not always possible among all the different moderators. If you have a problem, you may make a complaint to them directly and not publicly on the website. Creating threads or posts that question or reference administrative decisions or potential administrative decisions, such as post removals, infractions, negative feedback or thread closures, is not permitted.

Admin and moderators are not cold hearted and are sensitive to situations and flexible when a situation warrants - which is why complaints are allowed, but requested they be sent directly to the person.

In the spirit of that, I would ask that further discussion regarding whether the action taken against this member was appropriate or not be ended on this thread. Any further posts questioning the decision will be deleted without notice. Feel free to PM Admin with your suggestions or concerns regarding this matter instead of discussing it here.

Care to share?
(in response to Maedze's post)

I'm going to ask that this not be discussed in this thread although feel free to PM Maedze if you'd like more details. :thumbsup:

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
In the interest of fairness, to the best of my understanding the group of problematic transactions resulting in the ban all came to the attention of moderators at the same time. So this was not a case of this individual being given repeat chances. It was a case of this individual having a number of transactions at close to the same time and not following through on her end of the deal with any of them. This same thing can - and does - as those who have been members on other swap forums can attest to, happen on any swap forum regardless of how organized and regimented it is.

There have been cases of people who run coops (aka group buys,) on other boards repeated times with a great track record, and then all the sudden take all the coop money, don't order the goods, and are never heard from again.

Until I develop mind reading abilities, there is really no way to prevent anybody from doing this - swap is after all always going to involve a degree of trust and a degree of buyer beware, with extra insurance available through paypal or a credit card company when funds are involved.

Thank you-

Swap is not ebay. Unfortunately, we simply do not have the resources to handle day-to-day complaints, to judge the fairness of transactions or to intervene when problems happen. People can say anything they want in a private message or email. Even a note from Paypal saying that they have issued a refund does not prove guilt, only that Paypal elected to make a refund. There is almost no way we can be 100% positive as to who is at fault in a transaction gone bad. So, at most, if numerous complaints are registered and there is a high degree of confidence that a member has not fulfilled their part of multiple transactions, Swap access will be removed. Anything beyond that would be taken on a case-by-case basis and would probably be the result of other factors as well.

Please use swap as you would use Craigslist. Assume the other party is a complete stranger. Having a forum with a feedback system can help you decide if someone is trustworthy, but there is never any guarantee. Even close relatives and friends can prove to be untrustworthy if their job, financial or personal situation changes. It is no different here. If you need security for a high priced item, I suggest using Paypal at a minimum. Even better would be to setup a private auction at ebay or to use an escrow service.

More information can be found in the announcements and sticky posts in the swap area.

monstah

I just wanted to express thanks to the admin & mods. There is an element of risk when engaging in internet transactions and sometimes things just don't go as planned. So, thank you for everything you do and handling everything in all fairness. :thumbsup:

ctbcleveland

Brooklynsmommy, just wondering where my Halo sleep sac is. You told me you would ship it out on December 21, 2009, and I haven't received it yet. Could you please respond to the PMs I sent or the email I sent you?

Thanks so much!

BigDaddy

She's still on here all the time, though. Having her cake and eating it, too, I guess.
*Spoiledinmyhouseofblue*
user_online.gif

Senior Community Member

Last Activity: Today 01:02 AM

I saw her in the list of active members yesterday, too. Looks like she may be signing on every time someone replies to this thread.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I saw her in the list of active members yesterday, too. Looks like she may be signing on every time someone replies to this thread.

I think your right!!!!

*Spoiledinmyhouseofblue*
Last Activity: Today 12:24 PM

No, she's just really on all the time. Almost every time I check the "active users" section on the front page, she's there. It has nothing to do with this thread. (And no, I'm not specifically looking for her. Her name just pops out because it's so long.)

brooklynsmommy

Brooklynsmommy, just wondering where my Halo sleep sac is. You told me you would ship it out on December 21, 2009, and I haven't received it yet. Could you please respond to the PMs I sent or the email I sent you?

Thanks so much!

I only have internet on the weekends or every other weekend. When I posted that I wanted $5 for it, I didn't put PP after it. It was assumed that shipping was included. Only $5 was sent via pay pal. The item was brand new still in the package and was worth more than the $1.50 I was going to make after shipping. I felt bad asking for additional money. She told Judi that she just wanted her money back. She's already disputed it with pay pal. So I cannot refund the money.

ctbcleveland

Brooklynsmommy - thanks for responding to my message. Yes, I did open a case with paypal last week because you can only request a resolution withing 45 days of paying for an item. I paid you on December 16th and my window to dispute the payment is closing.

Paypal is waiting for you to respond to my message so that it can be resolved - so refunding the money through paypal would be the best course of action.

I am not sure why you said you'd ship it to me on a certain date if you never intended to ship it for that price, or why you wouldn't have refunded my money immediately when you decided it wasn't worth it to sell it for $5.00. Right now - you have my money and the item you committed to ship on 12-21-09. My messages to you have gone unanswered, so I am responding here.

brooklynsmommy

The item is brand new in package. It is worth more than $1.50. I haven't received anything from paypal. There is zero in my pay pal account.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC