Beyond frustrated with my car and convertible car seats

altf4

So our son is 13 months and just about reaching his limit in his uppababy mesa infant car seat. Last month I got a new car. An Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV.

We bought 2 convertible car seats for my car and my wifes. We also have a Mazda CX-5. We purchased a Nuna Rava and a Britax Advocate ClickTigh with ARB.

Installing either seat in my wifes CX-5 is easy peasy, no issue.

The problem lies with my new car. The Alfa Romeo :hitselfonhead:. I for the life of me can not get the seat to tilt in this car. I've tried center (my ideal spot for it) or even behind the passenger. I don't know what it is about these seats in this car. The Nuna tilts A LOT more than the Britax. I can get it pretty close to even, but on the Britax I sinks into the seat so much that the level ball is all the way down. Is this an issue? Our son is 13m old and 25lbs currently.

Here are some pictures of both seats in the Alfa. Any advice from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.

Nuna
vivksOi.jpg

sxznUGJ.jpg

nEcEie2.jpg

Britax

Notice the ball is all the way forward facing (sorry i took picture of Spanish side)
KOsSyK4.jpg

doesnt tilt as much as the Nuna
ptt5ZTx.jpg

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! If you take a look at the rear-facing line on the Britax seat, you'll notice that it goes all the way to the end, in the same range as the forward-facing line. It's fine for it to be that upright as long as the install is secure and the baby has good head control (a typical 13 month old does.) If you'd like more recline, first try changing where you hold the seat as you push the clicktight panel closed- try over-reclining it before you close the panel as the panel closing will make it more upright, and holding it near the back of the seat more (front of the car.) If that's not enough you can consult the manual for how to use a pool noodle or rolled towel to increase the recline.

The tilting is probably due to the contours of the vehicle seat. You can try pushing down on the "up" side as you install, while pushing in with your body from behind; this is probably less successful a method with these auto-tensioning seats than many others but you can try. You can also see if you can scoot the seat into a slightly different position on the vehicle seat relative to the seatbelt before installing and see if that helps. A slight tilt is not harmful though as long as it does not cause the install to loosen, tilt more over time, lift up off the vehicle seat, etc.

altf4

Hi! If you take a look at the rear-facing line on the Britax seat, you'll notice that it goes all the way to the end, in the same range as the forward-facing line. It's fine for it to be that upright as long as the install is secure and the baby has good head control (a typical 13 month old does.) If you'd like more recline, first try changing where you hold the seat as you push the clicktight panel closed- try over-reclining it before you close the panel as the panel closing will make it more upright, and holding it near the back of the seat more (front of the car.) If that's not enough you can consult the manual for how to use a pool noodle or rolled towel to increase the recline.

The tilting is probably due to the contours of the vehicle seat. You can try pushing down on the "up" side as you install, while pushing in with your body from behind; this is probably less successful a method with these auto-tensioning seats than many others but you can try. You can also see if you can scoot the seat into a slightly different position on the vehicle seat relative to the seatbelt before installing and see if that helps. A slight tilt is not harmful though as long as it does not cause the install to loosen, tilt more over time, lift up off the vehicle seat, etc.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try some of those out. As for it lefting, I can fit a finger underneath the base of the seat on the side that is lifting where on the opposite side I can not.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks for your suggestions, I will try some of those out. As for it lefting, I can fit a finger underneath the base of the seat on the side that is lifting where on the opposite side I can not.

Are you locking your seat belt? That can cause the tilt. For the Britax seat, do NOT lock the shoulder belt. You will have to lock it for the Nuna Rava because the tension door is not a lockoff, but hold the shoulder belt as flat as you can first before closing the tension door. It may be a matter of you trying to "over muscle" the seat tight.

altf4

Are you locking your seat belt? That can cause the tilt. For the Britax seat, do NOT lock the shoulder belt. You will have to lock it for the Nuna Rava because the tension door is not a lockoff, but hold the shoulder belt as flat as you can first before closing the tension door. It may be a matter of you trying to "over muscle" the seat tight.

Yes, on both seats I lock the belt before closing the "latch". Interesting, I always assumed you locked the belt on all seats. OK I will redo it with the seat belt not locked.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The ClickTight panel on the Britax seat is a true lockoff, so you don't lock the seat belt. However, the tension door on the Rava isn't a lockoff, so you do have to lock the seat belt. This is outlined in the instruction manual for each carseat, though it's easy to miss or forget.

altf4

The ClickTight panel on the Britax seat is a true lockoff, so you don't lock the seat belt. However, the tension door on the Rava isn't a lockoff, so you do have to lock the seat belt. This is outlined in the instruction manual for each carseat, though it's easy to miss or forget.

Thanks, I read the Nuna's manual, but I'll be honest I didnt read the Britax, just skimmed it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC