high weight limit harnessed booster combination

mrswonka

hi there.
thanks for the use of this forum. i am glad to be here!
I need advice with a seat for my 40+ lb son, 4.5 years.
we have a 2003 murano, nissAN.
I liked the true fit recline, but he tether anchor strap did not reach the rear anchor!i like the britax frontier 85, but the long seat belt strap for center position was not long enough.
the short route method seemed to twist the seat as i really reeefed on the seat to get it tight, i mean really tight.
i am at a loss and know no other options, other than the sunshine radian, which i know not the model to choose if i get one. i like the idea of having a super comfy seat and was not ovrly impressed w/ the padding of the myrede or the graco nautilus.
can anyone tell me if there is a new seat of this type coming out?
thanks!!!!!!!!!
over 40 lb and good height max harnessed booster combo.
thanks so much for lettting me have this opportunity!

ADS
U

Unregistered

I couldn't install a Frontier in my SUV either so I bought a Nautiluts Elite (which we both totally love). It has some extra padding sew into the cover and built in lock offs, and you can adjust the head rest. I bought mine online at babiesrus.com.

Maedze

I'm not going to recommend a convertible for a forward facing child.

What you want is a combination seat (forward facing harness-to-booster).

The three 'best' combination seats (in terms of longevity and correct belt fit in booster mode) are the Evenflo Maestro, Graco Nautilus and Britax Frontier.

The Maestro will probably last you two to three years and then need to be replaced by a larger booster. The Frontier 85 and Nautilus will get you to seatbelt age.

I can assure you that the Nautilus is adequately padded. I have two kids in Nautiluses who are extremely dramatic :rolleyes: and they love their seats.

If you are unable to get a good install with the Frontier 85, the Nautilus or the Maestro would be your best choices.

mrswonka

thanks so much. i knew nothing of maestro.
does anyone know of new seats of this type to be released soon?
i wonder if anyone has had the issue of installing, perhaps TOO tightly?. . . .the short path for frontier 85, and having the seat twist around, instead of sitting flat?
thanks!

mrswonka

i noticed that you did not mention the sunshine radian. i looked and noticed the maestro only fits w/ harness up to 50 lb.
i would like to find one that allows 80 lb or around the highest .
that is why i liked the frontier.
thank you , again

armywife12

The radian was not recommended for your child because It Is a convertible car seat. A convertible car seat is kind of useless for a forward facing child since they won't be using the rf feature.
The radian does go to 80lbs but most children will outgrow the harness around 6 yrs of age and around 50-65lbs.
The maestro may only harness to 50lbs but the top slots are around 18-18.25 inches. This will harness many to around 7-7.5 yrs old. Unless the child Is heavy, I wouldnt worry about the 50lb weight limit.

Why are you wanting to harness to 80lbs? Unless the child has behavioral issues, it is not necessary to harness as long as possible. Most children are ready for a booster around 5.5-6 yrs old.

When you talk about the frontier and seat belt twisting, what do you mean exactly? When the seat belt Is tightened, it won't lay flat around the corners of the car seat, the belt will bunch up. Is this what is happening? If so, that is normal.

mrswonka

hi thanks
well, i pulled super hard and put my knee into it.
i wanted to reduce movement and tighten.
the seat raised up off of the murano's seat bottom and twisted around. not the seat belt.

Maedze

i noticed that you did not mention the sunshine radian. i looked and noticed the maestro only fits w/ harness up to 50 lb.
i would like to find one that allows 80 lb or around the highest .
that is why i liked the frontier.
thank you , again

The Radian is a convertible.

The weight limit is misleading. Because the Maestro's harness height is a full inch taller than the Radian's, the Maestro is likely to actually last slightly longer than the Radian in harnessed mode, and it also converts to a booster for a little bit after that.

It's not necessary to harness your child to 80 pounds, only to booster maturity. Most kids reach this around 5 or 6 :)

mrswonka

perhaps the seat belt was resting on the back of the frontier. in any case, i tried so hard to get it super tight. maybe too hard?
i wanted to keep the seat, but am prepared to send back, as i find the issues of removal of the fabric for laundering, and general installation issues to be a little more intense labor than i need to be doing

mrswonka

thanks.
my son is 4.5 and even now, he will have a whim, and unbuckle himself because he is 'hot' . . .or whatever moves him to do so.
i was under the impression that harnessed kids are safer, just as rear facing is safer,and center position. my car has no center latch.
thanks for the info. so glad to have the help.
any more info is great. keep it coming!
i was looking at recaros simply cause they look so cushy for sleepy long rides, but, the harness will be done at a lower weight!

Maedze

thanks.
my son is 4.5 and even now, he will have a whim, and unbuckle himself because he is 'hot' . . .or whatever moves him to do so.
i was under the impression that harnessed kids are safer, just as rear facing is safer,and center position. my car has no center latch.
thanks for the info. so glad to have the help.
any more info is great. keep it coming!
i was looking at recaros simply cause they look so cushy for sleepy long rides, but, the harness will be done at a lower weight!

You don't need LATCH to install a child restraint but you DO need to always use the top tether.

Boostering a child who is old enough and big enough and mature enough is certainly safe. For a developmentally typical child who is six years of age, I'd say 97% of them can be safely boostered.

I wouldn't recommend the Recaro convertibles, partly because a convertible for a forward facing kid doesn't make much financial sense, and partly because the seat is internally narrow and kids grow out of it width wise at the shoulder before reaching the top harness position.

mrswonka

thanks so much for all of the needed advice and opinions.
i bought a nautilus elite, and am looking forward to getting it in the mail soon. i hope the padding is really nice. i like to think he'll be super comfy when on longer rides. as we all would, rihgt?
the prosport caugt my attn when mentioned here, and another co is coming out with a similar seat. . . anyway, i really loved the true fit recline. it seemed nice and cushy and the tether strap was just a hair short, tho.
i realized that perhaps the seat belt was resting on the back of the frontier 85 when i tried to install short path. . .long path, the belt wass too short. it twisted the seat in short path mode.
thanks again. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC