Expired Seat

U

Unregistered

Posting anonymously because I know people on here and I know I should know better but kind of feeling defeated. I was given a Keyfit30. I completely trust the one who gave it to me and know with all certainty that it has not traveled nor been in an accident. It expired November 2016. We are living penny to penny on my husbands one income. Even finding $50 for a new cheap seat isn't happening and I'm due within 2 weeks. I called around to hospitals, police stations, etc. to ask about free seats and have not been able to find any such program in my area. I'm at the point that any seat is better than no seat. I tried to save for a seat and the car blew up ... money gone. Started saving again and a pipe burst in our house ... money gone. One thing after another keeps wiping out our savings. I don't really like infant seats so I plan on only using it for a few months before I get a convertible. I'm at the point of, I don't know what to do. I'm sure on here I won't get the answer I like but maybe I need the answer I won't like? I'm in tears feeling like I failed this baby already.

ADS

featherhead

I'm sorry things are so hard right now. You do what you gotta do. I would start saving every penny you can, starting today. Are there family or friends anywhere that could help out with a couple bucks? A local church or other charity? I don't think it's the end of the world to use a seat that expired a few months ago for a short while (when there is absolutely no other choice), but you need to do everything you can to replace it.

laurengt

Where are you located? Maybe one of us here might know of resources.

This question for me too.

I understand those hard times trust me. I'm sorry you're going through this tough time but I do agree that an expired seat is better than no seat. You haven't failed your child. Chin up.

winndixie

Posting anonymously because I know people on here and I know I should know better but kind of feeling defeated. I was given a Keyfit30. I completely trust the one who gave it to me and know with all certainty that it has not traveled nor been in an accident. It expired November 2016. We are living penny to penny on my husbands one income. Even finding $50 for a new cheap seat isn't happening and I'm due within 2 weeks. I called around to hospitals, police stations, etc. to ask about free seats and have not been able to find any such program in my area. I'm at the point that any seat is better than no seat. I tried to save for a seat and the car blew up ... money gone. Started saving again and a pipe burst in our house ... money gone. One thing after another keeps wiping out our savings. I don't really like infant seats so I plan on only using it for a few months before I get a convertible. I'm at the point of, I don't know what to do. I'm sure on here I won't get the answer I like but maybe I need the answer I won't like? I'm in tears feeling like I failed this baby already.

Girl, you do what you got to do. I don't think it's that bad. The odds of getting in a serious accident are low. The odds of that carseat failing because it's even a few years past expiration if you get in a car accident are even lower. I know plastic does breakdown overtime, but I am guesing that they car seat manufactures are extremely careful with dates because they don't want to get sued. I a, guessing your seat is 100% fine.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You are the parent and you need to make this "choice" for yourself (if it is even a choice).

My first baby's life was saved in a terrible wreck in an infant seat I scrounged up from a yard sale. It may or may not have been expired - I have no idea when it was manufactured or even if early 90s seats had expirations.

Obviously my recommendation is to obtain a new seat. Maybe ask 6 or 7 good friends to each contribute $5 towards a Cosco Scenera NEXT?

But if the Keyfit is all you have, you've checked it over and you know it's in good condition, and it's only been expired a year (we're not talking about something 25 years old), and you really don't have another choice, what do you do? Obviously taking baby home on your lap isn't a good choice either.

I'd try to limit driving as much as humanly possible and get that NEXT from Walmart as soon as you can.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm sorry that you're feeling defeated. That's got to be frustrating, and made worse by being pregnant. {{{{hugs}}}}

If you happen to be in CT, please PM me. I'd like to help if I can. I have access to some program seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC