Well, it finally happened

mping

I've heard about kids being embarrassed by their booster usage in front of friends before but it has never happened to my kids (7 and 9). I was picking up two girls (9) who are in camp this week with my daughter (9) and I had two Harmony Literiders for them all set up in the car for them. The one girl gets in and says "I haven't used a car seat since I was 6." I was this close to saying, well, your parents suck. I used my standard line, "well, in our car, kids use boosters." I didn't really want to go into the safety aspect of it. My daughter has never been bothered by this before but I think this time she was. She's also really close to 5 stepping but has two younger brothers so we will be using car seats in our car for at least the next 9-11 years. We also live in an upper middle class neighborhood so there's simply no excuse for this! Mind you, the same friend isn't allowed to walk home from school by herself TWO BLOCKS because it wouldn't be safe. [emoji33][emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

Mary_Ann

Eek! 6 yo!!! I think your answer was perfect!

I've never run into this situation, but I fear the day it will happen!

mping

It's appalling! Especially seeing as though my neighborhood is overrun with helicopter parents who won't let their kids do anything but they can sit in the front seat! [emoji24]

aeormsby

My 9yo DD is getting to that point also. DH let a friend of hers ride without a booster in our car (her older sister was babysitting so it might have been a tougher sell when big sis said she doesn't use boosters anymore).

Luckily in our Saturn there's one spot in the 3rd row that kids 5-step in early (DD has for a year already). So if we have one extra kid I have DD in her booster on the 'bad' side and let the friend sit in the 5-stepping spot. Hopefully our new Incognito will help if we need more than one friend in the car also.

I think you did fine, it's tough for the kids even if they understand the safety benefits and what 5-stepping means.

jaemom

I've heard about kids being embarrassed by their booster usage in front of friends before but it has never happened to my kids (7 and 9). I was picking up two girls (9) who are in camp this week with my daughter (9) and I had two Harmony Literiders for them all set up in the car for them. The one girl gets in and says "I haven't used a car seat since I was 6." I was this close to saying, well, your parents suck. I used my standard line, "well, in our car, kids use boosters." I didn't really want to go into the safety aspect of it. My daughter has never been bothered by this before but I think this time she was. She's also really close to 5 stepping but has two younger brothers so we will be using car seats in our car for at least the next 9-11 years. We also live in an upper middle class neighborhood so there's simply no excuse for this! Mind you, the same friend isn't allowed to walk home from school by herself TWO BLOCKS because it wouldn't be safe. [emoji33][emoji51]

Funny, I let my 9 and 10 year olds ride their bikes to school several blocks away, yet they still use boosters in our cars, except for the now 11 yo in the rear center seat of my ford fusion, since he 5 steps there.

mping

I asked her about this later on in the day and she said she wasn't embarrassed at all. She says she understands why I'm as strict as I am too. I hope she wasn't just appeasing me but it seemed genuine.

DabOfLoven

My dd is 10, will be 11 in December. She's not bothered at all by hers. She knows it's it keep her safe. She is maybe 62lbs but tall. She does fit okay in the seat belt in the back of our mazda 5. She loves her pink zebra booster. I honestly don't think she realizes other kids her age aren't using them. But she's not ready to give it up anytime soon

mping

My daughter is very aware that her friends (except for 2 of them) don't use boosters at all. Some even sit in the front seat! My neighbor's son is the same age and he sits in the front seat all the time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC