Is There a Carseat Like this?

Chely7425

Ok... this may seem like a strange question but here goes. We currently have my 1 year old RF in a Scenera, which works well in our 3 across but I am having a hell of a time getting it installed more upright than 45 degrees because of the stupidity of our Liberty's backseat design. This is the issue:

CIMG3323.jpg

CIMG3322.jpg

The plastic bit of the door frame curves into the seat which, when combined with the way the bottom of the Scenera is shaped means I can't get it more upright without moving it toward the center of the car which I can't do and still fit 3 across. Are there any other seats that don't have that weird foot thing that are about the same size as the Scenera? I really need a more upright install because my kid hates it and the passenger seat is a pain in the butt to sit in. If it helps the seat needs to fit well next to a SR35...

ADS

capeKO71

I find many times, a britax seat will fit great in 3 in a row because it's up high on a small base (the old versions). I know albeebaby has the roundabout 50 for $169 I think... check around... they are clearancing them all over the place because of the redesign.

First, you don't need that towel under the seat. It's serving no purpose.

Second, you can put the front of the base at the seat bight (where the back & the seat of the auto seat meet) & install that way. Your DS is old enough for that install. If you want a picture of what I mean let me know & I'll run out to my van & snap a picture for as I have Sceneras installed this way for my girls.

Chely7425

First, you don't need that towel under the seat. It's serving no purpose.

Second, you can put the front of the base at the seat bight (where the back & the seat of the auto seat meet) & install that way. Your DS is old enough for that install. If you want a picture of what I mean let me know & I'll run out to my van & snap a picture for as I have Sceneras installed this way for my girls.

The towel is mostly there to keep my 2 year old from shoving crap UNDER the car seat... he shoved some apple slices under there last week and it took us 2 hours to figure out what the disgusting smell was!!

If I put the base at the seat bight the seat ends up basically vertical, which doesn't work so well because when he falls asleep (which is pretty often) his head does all sorts of weird things. That piece of plastic curving into the seat also prevents that... if I were to try and put the foot directly on the seat then it pushes it further to the middle of the seat, does that make sense?

littleangelfire

What PP said, if you want a more upright install, you definitely don't want to be using a rolled up towel, and it's put in a place where it doesn't seem to be doing anything anyways. Try pulling the Scenera out from the seat bight a bit.

ETA: okay, so there's an ulterior motive for the towel, lol.

Chely7425

Yes, if you want it more upright, lose the towel.

The towel isn't the thing keeping it from being more upright.. its the stupid bit of the frame of the door, like even if I push down on the part of the seat where his feet go then it hits that plastic unless I scoot it in which I can't have happen because then my other seats won't fit.

Chely7425

What PP said, if you want a more upright install, you definitely don't want to be using a rolled up towel, and it's put in a place where it doesn't seem to be doing anything anyways. Try pulling the Scenera out from the seat bight a bit.

ETA: okay, so there's an ulterior motive for the towel, lol.

LOL yes... definitely ulterior motive for the towel!!!! Apple slices in 100+ degree weather in a car?? GROSS!! My kids are menaces...

I will try pulling it out more from the seat bight though...

What year is your Liberty?

I have a Jeep dealership down the street. I'd be more then willing to go there & try out my Sceneras in a Liberty to see if I can find a solution for you before you have to buy a new seat.

But, other questions for you.

What are the ages & weights & heights of ALL your kiddos (yes, the 1yo too)?

What seats are you using for your 3 across?

What is your budget for a new seat if the Scenera can't be used?

ETA: What state are you in?

Chely7425

What year is your Liberty?

I have a Jeep dealership down the street. I'd be more then willing to go there & try out my Sceneras in a Liberty to see if I can find a solution for you before you have to buy a new seat.

But, other questions for you.

What are the ages & weights & heights of ALL your kiddos (yes, the 1yo too)?

What seats are you using for your 3 across?

What is your budget for a new seat if the Scenera can't be used?

ETA: What state are you in?

My Liberty is a 2010... and if you really didn't mind that would be amazingly awesome!!! I just need it to be as close to the edge of the seat as it can be...

My kids are: 2 years/36 lbs/36 inches, 1 year/25 lbs/32 inches, and baby blob who has yet to be determined since he isn't due to make an appearance for a few months :D

My 3 across is: FF CA drivers side, SR35 center, Scenera passengers side, all seatbelt installs. The SR35 pretty much needs to stay center because it is the only one I can get a good install with since the stupid middle belt doesn't lock like the outer 2 do.

My budget is 200 or under.

We are in Louisiana :D

Also... if for some reason the CA would work better RF I would be open to purchasing a new seat for my FF kiddo... people have mentioned the Maestro is pretty similar to the CA FF but I think the bottom of the CA (I have the one without the adjustable base) might be an issue as well...

Chely7425

The center belt locks. It is required to. I just don't know how it does :) but somebody will.

I know it locks, it has a locking latch plate (the one where it locks at the buckle) but I have a really hard time with it and car seats seem to make it not lock well or something. I don't have a tech anywhere near here (but one might be coming through next month... hopefully she does!) so she could show me. For now though since I am on my own I am only confident with my SR35 there because it has the lock off in the base.

Pixels

The center belt is a lightweight locking latchplate. The outer belts lock at the retractor. Strange, I know. For the center belt, all you do is buckle it and pull it tight. The shoulder portion will stay loose, but the lap portion will stay tight. That's what you need for a carseat install.

Chely7425

The center belt is a lightweight locking latchplate. The outer belts lock at the retractor. Strange, I know. For the center belt, all you do is buckle it and pull it tight. The shoulder portion will stay loose, but the lap portion will stay tight. That's what you need for a carseat install.

I did that but... I dunno. It just seemed so NOT secure, if that makes sense? If I had someone else who could verify that it was in there correctly I would be good but it just... doesn't seem right when I do it? That is why the SR35 is there... it has that built in lock off in the base so I know I am getting a good install.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If it slips you can either add a locking clip, or flip the buckle 180 degrees and rebuckle it that way (after it's all tight and everything).

Wendy

Pixels

Do you have less than an inch of movement when you're done? I know, it seems so simple, like it can't possibly be safe.

Chely7425

If it slips you can either add a locking clip, or flip the buckle 180 degrees and rebuckle it that way (after it's all tight and everything).

Wendy

Me and the locking clip don't get along... but I might try flipping the buckle around! Do I flip the metal buckle part or the part that is in the seat? It would be nice to have more arranging options...

Chely7425

Do you have less than an inch of movement when you're done? I know, it seems so simple, like it can't possibly be safe.

It seems like I do... but then it seems like it loosens after a kiddo rides in it? The only other seat I could get installed there that I felt ok about was the nautilus and that doesn't fit with my 3 across and it seemed to loosen after awhile too. I wish one of you guys lived near here and could help me! Apox on living in the middle of nowhere...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Me and the locking clip don't get along... but I might try flipping the buckle around! Do I flip the metal buckle part or the part that is in the seat? It would be nice to have more arranging options...

You flip the metal buckle, the male end.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC