locking clip or locking seatbelt

melrose7

I finally got a pool noddle so I can install my scenera RF. DH installed with the seatbelt and locking clip. Then the seatbelt was also locked but it was tipping the seat up. Without the locking clip and only locking the seatbelt the seat wasn't that tight. So DH just did the locking clip and did not lock the seatbelt. He got a install that way but is he suppose to use the seatbelt locking feature or the locking clip? I thought the locking clip was for those seatbelts that didn't lock but this was a tighter fit. I jus want to make sure it is installed correctly before we decide if it is worth keeping as our second seat. Thanks.

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
You can use a locking clip if the seat keeps tipping. Locking seatbelts are easier but as long as you use the locking clip correctly (1/2" to 1" from the buckle, closer the better), that is totally safe.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd use the locking clip...try a couple times, maybe with both of you, to see if you can get it as tight as you like it. I only say that because I once installed my Scenera RF perfectly (with the seatbelt, and switched the retractor), then when I was driving I had to slam on the brakes on a curve once, and it tipped totally up on it's side... fortunately my dd slept through it! Here's the pictures... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/TippyScenera#

tiggercat

Wow Jools, that is quite the tip! I've never seen a seat tip that much so suddenly before.

To the OP, I'd also use a locking clip in this situation, and leave the seatbelt unlocked.

urchin_grey

Ditto what the others said. I installed two Sceneras rock solid in my car with just the seat belt but the shoulder belt was slowly making them tip towards the center more and more. I've always had tilt problems with the Scenera though, even in the center with the lap belt only. I reinstalled with the locking clip though (left the belt unlocked) and now they are both perfectly level.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My Ford has retractors on steroids...in fact, the reason that other seat was folded down was because it was STUCK down, the seatbelt had switched when it was down. We had to get it replaced at the dealer to be able to get the seat back up again (so no, normally I don't drive around with groceries free-floating in the back of my car with the seats down :eek:)

melrose7

Thank you all!! I am so happy I can tell DH that it is installed correctly with the locking clip and leaving the seatbelt unlocked. There was a lot of arguing about getting a "cheap" seat for a second occasional seat when it was hard to install. Now that we have a good tight install I am happy we can keep it. I also loved the video on youtube about rear facing install. That helped DH a lot.

tiggercat

My Ford has retractors on steroids...in fact, the reason that other seat was folded down was because it was STUCK down, the seatbelt had switched when it was down. We had to get it replaced at the dealer to be able to get the seat back up again (so no, normally I don't drive around with groceries free-floating in the back of my car with the seats down :eek:)

Mmmm, corn flakes. Well you know, in case the kid in the sideways seat gets hungry there is food in easy reach? LOL!

tiggercat

Ditto what the others said. I installed two Sceneras rock solid in my car with just the seat belt but the shoulder belt was slowly making them tip towards the center more and more. I've always had tilt problems with the Scenera though, even in the center with the lap belt only. I reinstalled with the locking clip though (left the belt unlocked) and now they are both perfectly level.

Are you using a locking clip on the lap only belt also? If so, it's not allowed. Locking clips are for lap/shoulder belt combinations only.

urchin_grey

Are you using a locking clip on the lap only belt also? If so, it's not allowed. Locking clips are for lap/shoulder belt combinations only.

Nope, I'm just referring to the shoulder/lap belt. :) Up until a month ago, I only had one seat in my car and I had it in the middle with the lap only belt. Always got a tiny bit of tilt just from pulling the belt so tight. :eek:

Then a month ago, my sister and her son moved in so now we have two seats in the car, both outboard. It was the first time I ever installed a seat with the shoulder/lap belt and the tilt from the shoulder belt was even worse. I learned how to fix that from lurking here though. :love:

tiggercat

Nope, I'm just referring to the shoulder/lap belt. :) Up until a month ago, I only had one seat in my car and I had it in the middle with the lap only belt. Always got a tiny bit of tilt just from pulling the belt so tight. :eek:

Then a month ago, my sister and her son moved in so now we have two seats in the car, both outboard. It was the first time I ever installed a seat with the shoulder/lap belt and the tilt from the shoulder belt was even worse. I learned how to fix that from lurking here though. :love:

Just double checking!

Bahaha, man that's quite a tip.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with the clip. It's just harder to use. But if you know how to use it and it works, stick with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC