Seat Belt Extension

AceRider

So, I just bought a new seat from Target, the Eddie Bauer or something similar, $125ish.

It's made by the same company that makes Cosco, and its very similar in dimensions to the Cosco High Back Booster, which I like because its small and will be able to fit upside down between the seats if the baby wants to be free from shackles for a while or sleep laying on the seat.

It also may work rear facing without stopping the front seat from reclining, as it's dimensions seem very narrow; the Cosco seats everyone talks about for travel (Scenara? and a similar Evenflo that I purchased and returned) have VERY thick/deep plastic sides. My new seat also has many more adjustments available and a head rest.

Its not as light as the High Back Booster, but not much worse. It fits into our Graco folding stroller as well.

So my impression pre-travel:

- Light enough for travel, not as light as High Back Booster, but manageable
- Reversible for those who are sticklers about rear facing
- Similar dimensions to High Back Booster, which is hands down the easiest/lightest travel seat around
- Much more versatile than High Back Booster due to headrest, reversible, more harness slots
- Reasonable at $125ish, not the $35-70 that Cosco/Evenflo costs, but not outrageous either

Buckle in the back will STILL be an issue, which is why I am thinking about rear facing option.

ADS

1mommy

That's the same as the Safety First Guide 65, with just a different cover/name. It is a nice lightweight and fairly narrow seat and recommended for travel. FYI, to install in the car rear facing you often need pool noodles to assist with the recline and I have heard several children don't like the headrest pushing their head forward, especially as they get bigger, but my 2.5 year old has no problem rear facing in it, and I have a friend who FF her 18 month old in it and he had no complaints, but YMMV. It also does cause their head to fall to the side or forward while sleeping so if that bothers you you should look at a different seat. Not trying to talk you out of it, its a good inexpensive lightweight travel seat, just wanted to make you aware that are some complaints about it (as I guess every seat has).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Guide-65-Sport-Convertible-Car-Seat-Oceanside/26845783

AceRider

...I have heard several children don't like the headrest pushing their head forward, especially as they get bigger

You mean the head falls forward for bigger kids because of the headrest, correct?

My kid is 9 months, so if that is an issue I'll just raid the rest to the highest position and it will be WAY above him.

Also, are the headrests removable?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You mean the head falls forward for bigger kids because of the headrest, correct?

My kid is 9 months, so if that is an issue I'll just raid the rest to the highest position and it will be WAY above him.

Also, are the headrests removable?

No, but it can go up.

Not to burst your bubble, but it's not FAA approved under one year, 22 pounds, or 29" for forward facing.

Not all seats on a plane recline. It's considerate of you to think of the person in front, but there are ways to make kids safe and people comfortable. The last time my younger daughter and I flew to Asia (actually, this was on the way home) I spoke to the person in front and he moved to one of the amazingly empty seats on either side of him to recline. That also gave him two seats for his legs. On the way over to Korea I can't remember what we did. She just rear faced and I didn't worry about it and the person in front didn't seem to mind, I guess. I honestly don't remember an issue. I used a small travel seat (the Combi Coccoro, perfect for Japanese cars) and so it fits everywhere and usually left room in front for the other person.

Wendy

AceRider

I guess if I face him forward and they break out the measuring tape, scale, and birth cert, I'll have to concede and face him rearward.

Given that I could choose to hold him on my lap, I don't understand that they would have ANY issues with whatever you choose to do with or without a car seat. That simply makes zero sense.

"We'll allow your kid to flop around the cabin in the event of a crash, but IF you use a car seat, we'll follow all of the rule of that seat."

The world is totally illogical.

1mommy

The world is totally illogical.

Yep.

Hope things work out for your flight, try rear facing him first to see if it fits and the person in front you can use their limited amount of reclining, and then if it doesnt work, you can make the parental decision to FF face him on the plane. It is not suggested, but as his parent you will ultimately do what you think is best (note I am NOT a tech and I am NOT advocating you ingore stated limits or laws just because you make the decision as a parent that its best for your child.)

I know for children over 1 its considered ok on a plane to ff as the child seat is mainly to protect against turbulance (up and down motion). If you end up FF against advice and against the seats stated limits, I would highly recommend you at least rear face him during take off and landing - the person in front of you can't recline then anyways.

Brianna

To be frank, our passion on this board is child passenger safety. I vaguely remember the FAA or someone else pushing for child restraints for all children on flights. It was shut down because it was believed that if that happened, more parents would choose to drive than to fly, and flying is inherently safer than driving, so it did not pass. We here would like to see children properly restrained during flights, as turbulence or a bad landing, or a sudden braking during can not only injure the unrestrained child, but the child can turn into a projectile and injure or kill other passengers.

The vast majority of members here believe that rear facing to the max of the car seat, or until age 4 is safest. Although some are comfortable forward facing on a plane before they would in the car, I don't think you'll find anyone here who would recommend forward facing before the minimums that the car seat manufacturer sets.

Keeping your under 1 year old rear facing will keep the buckle out of his back and allow him to sleep at a comfortable recline. Most children are quite accustomed to sleeping in their rear facing car seats, and it's generally easier for children to sleep in a familiar situation.

Also, I don't think anyone here recommends renting a seat at your destination. Bringing a car seat for each child on the plane means you have a safe car seat that you are familiar with to use once you land. You won't have to make any adjustments so the seat fits your child, and you won't be stuck reading a car seat manual at the airport to see the installation instructions.

AceRider

Brianna, to be frank, put your kid in a helmet and roll cage, then.

Unfortunately in life there are a lot of compromises that we make. I hope you bought the MOST expensive, highest tech, all metal frame, balloon sided car seat, have a car with blind spot monitors, automatic braking, full curtain airbags, Onstar emergency accident reporting, a LARGE SUV so the mass of something bigger hitting you is lessened. On board fire extinguisher, seatbeltcutting tool, lifting airbag, extensive medical kit, etc. and etc.

Do you have all of that, because anything less is not in the full interest of your child's safety.

My daily use car seat looks more protective than yours. Was I more concerned about my child's safety then you?

AceRider

No, but it can go up.

Actually, I looked the other day and it is removable. I was looking at this seat for my older child for traveling, since he's close to maxed out on the Cosco HBB shoulder harness slots.

I sat him in it and he didn't like the headrest. So I started looking and found:

- remove the cover from the headrest
- the foam will fall away from the plastic headrest
- two screws on each side are revealed.

Presumably removing them will allow the front of the headrest to detach from the tabs which extend through the back fo the seat to the height adjusting bar and it will just come off.

I haven't done it, because this seat is for the infant. But I may buy another for my December trip and let the older one use it without the headrest.

We'll see.

Brianna

Actually I don't have a child. I was just trying my best to point out you won't find anyone telling you it's ok to forward face a 9 month old. I did keep my godson rear facing until he was 3, just about 40 pounds and 40 inches. He's just about 5 now and is still harnessed because he's not mature enough to be in a booster full time. The brand or features of car seat he rides in isn't relevant, what is relevant is that he stayed rear facing and harnessed beyond bare minimums.

Setting all that aside- this is your child and your choice. Our goal here is for parents and caregivers to make informed choices. You have the information, what you choose to do with it is up to you. I certainly hope I didn't offend you, we're all here because we want to promote child passenger safety, not to make others feel attacked.

1mommy

Setting all that aside- this is your child and your choice. Our goal here is for parents and caregivers to make informed choices. You have the information, what you choose to do with it is up to you. I certainly hope I didn't offend you, we're all here because we want to promote child passenger safety, not to make others feel attacked.

Yes, also as this is a public forum so I know I am very hesitant to put in writing anything other then "best practice" because I don't want someone else to come along and read it and think it is ok or that I recommended to go against manufactures directions.

But I hope you understand that why people are so adamant about rear facing your child is because they honestly want what is safest for your child :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Brianna, to be frank, put your kid in a helmet and roll cage, then.

Not really necessary, literally or otherwise. Correctly installing and using a child restraint in a rear seating position greatly reduces the risk of a child without going to extreme measures. My interpretation of Brianna's post was to say that you are not likely to find many advocates here that are willing to condone or rationalize something that is contrary to instructions, labels or accepted best practice. Just as you wouldn't expect many physicians to state something or endorse an action that is contrary to policy statements from the American Academy of Pediatrics, for example.

Unfortunately in life there are a lot of compromises that we make. I hope you bought the MOST expensive, highest tech, all metal frame, balloon sided car seat, have a car with blind spot monitors, automatic braking, full curtain airbags, Onstar emergency accident reporting, a LARGE SUV so the mass of something bigger hitting you is lessened. On board fire extinguisher, seatbeltcutting tool, lifting airbag, extensive medical kit, etc. and etc.

Motor vehicle crashes remain the #1 preventable cause of death for kids above 1 year old and young adults. Hopefully, if you are going to make a compromise for a child's safety, it is in an area that involves less risk. But the compromises no one should make involve driving unimpaired/undistracted and correctly installing and using an acceptable restraint system in the rear vehicle seat. Those actions reduce risk to relatively insignificant levels for children. Most other actions are icing on the cake in comparison.

In any case, since we are talking about aircraft, the risks are much lower anyway. Most injuries are to unrestrained and lap children and are due to turbulence or bumpy landings, rather than crashes. And those that involve crashes are often unsurvivable anyway. While not safest practice, if you were going to make a compromise to have a child forward facing before age 1, an aircraft would be the best place to do it. The benefits of facing the rear are not nearly as advantageous as they would be in a car. I suspect that the risk of hitting another plane head-on on the tarmac is exceedingly low compared to head-on motor vehicle crashes...

AceRider

You have the information, what you choose to do with it is up to you. I certainly hope I didn't offend you, we're all here because we want to promote child passenger safety, not to make others feel attacked.

Thank you and you are right, sorry.

Anyway, I still haven't figure out the seatbelt issue which was my original intent in coming here.

Oh well, flight is tomorrow so nothing can be done.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Brianna

I hope your little one is comfortable and that you all enjoy your trip. I hope you'll come back with any other questions in the future :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
No worries at all. Simply having a baby or child restrained in their own seat carseat mitigates the main risks on an airplane.

If I understand your seatbelt concern, any carseat model with an enclosed belt path should work. I've never used an extender for an airplane so can't say if it would be a reasonable solution for you or not. Does your baby still fit in their infant carrier? Using it without the base would put the buckle above the baby and may work as well.

featherhead

Actually, I looked the other day and it is removable. I was looking at this seat for my older child for traveling, since he's close to maxed out on the Cosco HBB shoulder harness slots. I sat him in it and he didn't like the headrest. So I started looking and found: - remove the cover from the headrest - the foam will fall away from the plastic headrest - two screws on each side are revealed. Presumably removing them will allow the front of the headrest to detach from the tabs which extend through the back fo the seat to the height adjusting bar and it will just come off. I haven't done it, because this seat is for the infant. But I may buy another for my December trip and let the older one use it without the headrest. We'll see.

Please do not remove the headwings! They are an integral part of the seat, and the manufacturer did not mean for the seat to be used that way. If your child does not like the headwings, then you could look for a seat without them.

1mommy

Please do not remove the headwings! They are an integral part of the seat, and the manufacturer did not mean for the seat to be used that way. If your child does not like the headwings, then you could look for a seat without them.

:yeahthatlove:

If you need a recommendation for a lightweight travel car seat for your oldest just let us know his age and weight/height/shirt size and we may be able to recommend a better one for your child.

Oh and if the belt behind your child's back bothers him on the plane you could try putting a folded up receiving blanket between him and the buckle.

AceRider

So, I was able to wrap the male end of the seat belt once under the metal frame of the seat when I lifted up the seat cushion. This shortened that side just enough that when using an extension, I was able to position one buckle on either side of the seat and avoid any buckle being center of back.

Again two seats with no enclosed paths - cosco high back booster and Eddie Bauer sthg or other.

Faced both kids forward and they were happy and still alive despite this.... There was no way to rear face in the Eddie Bauer seat without wedging it against the seat in front.

Funny thing in japan no one seems to much care about car seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC