B-Safe or CCO?

JlynnB

We will be flying from San Diego to Maui at the end of May on Alaska Airlines, a Boeing 737 aircraft. This will be our first flight with DD, who will be 6 months at that time and has her own ticket. Her two seats are a Britax B-Safe and a Combi Coccoro. I know either seat will be okay but would love to get some input as to which one we should use. DS is 6, so I haven't flown with an infant in a very long time, and back then we only ever used his Marathon. I was able to seat DH and DS in front of us on one of the flights but not the other, so recline issues merit some consideration I suppose. We had some very bad experiences with that with DS. :mad:

We do have a B-Nimble, but we are going just to stay with family and I don't anticipate having tons of need for a stroller while we're there. We are also planning a trip to Seattle later this year, which is likely to be on a 737 as well, and we will want a stroller there. Just in case that impacts the recommendation...

Thanks in advance! :)

ADS

meljc

I just flew (again) with our CCO last night on an MD83. DS is 2yo so we have the option to RF or FF. Unfortunately when I installed RF the buckle made a horrid lump under the seat pad. It's awesome FF on a plane though. On our Keyfit, the lap belt only routing was over the child's legs, which was perfect and easy at 6mo, though it got harder by ~10mo when DS was curious about the buckle and able to undo it.

So for your trip now, I'd take the bucket (and probably the matching stroller, if only to help with getting through the airport) but leave the base at home. For your trip later, you might consider taking the CCO if you think your LO will unbuckle the seat belt, but otherwise I'd also take the bucket+stroller there.

JlynnB

Sorry, one other question about buckets, then. Do I need the towel/noodles for the baseless install on the plane as well, or just for cars?

Thanks again!

meljc

Sorry, one other question about buckets, then. Do I need the towel/noodles for the baseless install on the plane as well, or just for cars?

Thanks again!

Not necessary for airplane. With our Keyfit I never needed a towel/noodle for baseless car install either. Is the bottom of your b-safe flat or curved?

JlynnB

Thanks so much! I will definitely practice some baseless installs in our cars before the trip, but I won't have much opportunity to practice on any planes... :)

meljc

Thanks so much! I will definitely practice some baseless installs in our cars before the trip, but I won't have much opportunity to practice on any planes... :)

The airplane is really no big deal. Thread belt through guides, buckle, tighten. For the most part the seat is there to prevent injury during turbulence (much more common than a real crash).

Definitely practice baseless installation, with the understanding that the geometry of each car is a little different. You may want to stand behind the seat and push down/in with your hips while tightening to maintain the proper angle. And if you're renting an SUV, remember to recline the seat during installation and then put it back up when you're done -- nice and snug!

JlynnB

Lol. I spend so much time in the forums sometimes I miss the blog posts! Of course, DD was just over a month old at that time so I'm pretty sure I missed everything...

I hope I can master a baseless install half as well as she has! She makes it look so easy. I get good installs eventually, but they are usually not so effortless.

Thanks for the link!

ngs215

I am not really good at installing car seats, but I found the baseless install really, really easy. We have a Snugride 30, but I assume it's about the same for all of them. We were away from home for a month when DS was 2-3 months old, so I had lots of practice, but I would say I was a pro after 2-3 installs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC