2003 Jetta with twins-which convertible car seat will fit?

U

Unregistered

Our twins are ready to graduate from their infant carriers (over 20 pounds, 8 months). Need help figuring out what two rear-facing seats will fit in our 2003 VW Jetta. Anyone else that has the same car/year&make with this problem?
Would prefer to find a 3 in one budget-friendly car seat.

ADS

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
There are not many 3 in 1 seats out there that actually do all 3 things well. You are MUCH better off purchasing a good convertible seat that will get them to appropriate booster age then purchasing a dedicated booster.

Most convertible seats allow for the seat to be more upright allowing more room than infant seats, so if you fit two infant seats you should have no trouble whatsoever fitting two convertible seats.

The britax next generation models (marathon 70, boulevard 70, roundabout 55) all fit very well in smaller cars and will get most kids to 2.5-3yrs rear facing and 4.5-5 forward facing. This is what we have for our Toyota Yaris. If you buy online you will find much better prices than in store, but you can still try them out at Babies R Us if you'd like first.

Evenflo Triumph Advance is another option offers a slightly taller shell and harness height meaning more time before it is outgrown. I don't have personal experience with this seat in your car, but I have found that overall it is a pretty easy seat to install and use.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The 3-in-1 try to do everything, but don't do everything well. They fail in some way. Mostly in booster mode. Boosters can be as cheap as the graco turbo for $50 later.

My favorite convertibles are the graco myride, evenflo triumph/momentum, safety1st complete air, first year truefit and radians. I don't know what fits in your vehicle. All but the radians can be found for $150 or less. They should all last you until 4-5y.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The PP mentioned britax seats. They can be pricy. The britax classic marathon can still be bought at Target and is cheaper then the new 70 version. They do fit in tight places well, but the seats i listed either last longer or are cheaper or both.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
The 3-in-1 try to do everything, but don't do everything well. They fail in some way. Mostly in booster mode. Boosters can be as cheap as the graco turbo for $50 later.

My favorite convertibles are the graco myride, evenflo triumph/momentum, safety1st complete air, first year truefit and radians. I don't know what fits in your vehicle. All but the radians can be found for $150 or less. They should all last you until 4-5y.

I must need shopping help lol! I can't find a Radian for under $200! Also I am waiting to recommend them again until they have fixed their manuals. I still think the seat is great but at the moment not for parents who are not "here" all the time, kwim?

Jan06twinmom

I must need shopping help lol! I can't find a Radian for under $200! Also I am waiting to recommend them again until they have fixed their manuals. I still think the seat is great but at the moment not for parents who are not "here" all the time, kwim?

No, you're right. The Radians do cost over $200. The pp said that the other seats (but not the Radians) cost under $150.

What is wrong with the manuals though?

Melanie

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
yetanotherjen said:

I didn't say the radian was cheap, but it will last years longer then any Britax. Our DD is extremely tall and outgrew the britax bv at not yet 4y, so I had to go and buy a hwh. I tries her in the radian a few weeks ago and she was in the 2nd to the top slots at almost 5y. So a whole year after outgrowing the bv. She could easily make it to 6-7y harnessed in the radian and go to a lbb which would have cost me $15.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC