Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Are unrestrained kids a 911 call?

That has been my experience with it: it was faster and easier to get a response than the 2 times I called 911, and the time they couldn't catch them they had a description and a partial license plate (the people were also speeding, that was all I could do), and promised to try and track them down with DMV info. They really do take it seriously at the CHP. And 4 out of the 5 times I called, I was able to give a good location and stay with the car and saw the CHP get officers to the scene to pull them over.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Does Mass have a hotline?
    Or should I call 911 for the forward facing infant seats and standing toddlers?
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    In CA we have a number, 1-800-TELLCHP. That number is the CHP hotline and I use it to report unrestrained children (or blatant misuse-- infant seat forward-facing or in front seat with airbag, etc.) when we are on the highway.
    Thank you for posting that. My friend and I have both tried calling the local police about a woman at our kids' preschool who drives off while wearing her newborn in a sling, and the police take so long to get there they say there's nothing they can do once she's gone. I'll try this next time.
    Danielle, mom to:
    Melody, July 2005
    Dorian, June 2007

Quote Originally Posted by momtoM&D View Post
    My friend and I have both tried calling the local police about a woman at our kids' preschool who drives off while wearing her newborn in a sling, and the police take so long to get there they say there's nothing they can do once she's gone..
    I would take a digital photo using your phone or digital camera and show it to the police. It is hard for the police to reach the preschool before she drive off. And most people will buckle up their kids if they see a CHP car.

A neighbor had teenagers overturning her thrash can just for fun almost every day and the photos she took help the local police get the juveniles into counselling.

Quote Originally Posted by rochelle View Post
    And most people will buckle up their kids if they see a CHP car.
    Except I know this story and this mom apparently has a nbb as the only restraint in her van. She was sighted with the NB in the sling and a child on the floorboard (not counting the child that had been dropped off at preschool) and That is just plain not trying/caring IMO!

I concur... totally unrestrained kids (or my personally scariest catch ever - forward facing NEWBORN in convertible carseat tipped halfway to the side)... yes... 911

other minor cases... probably not.

but here in VA, as we don't have a separate number, if I know the cops can catch them, I'll probably dial... but if I know they probably can't, I just shake my head in dissappointment.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos