i dont think common sense is common much

outnumberedby6

i was at a mom2mom sale last weekend and i was talking to a wonderful foster mom. we got to talking about seats and she mentioned her 10 mo old foster child ff because her legs were squished.

then she had a question about her straps not being able to be tightened on her new seat. (i am almost positive it was an Evenflo Tribute 5) so i go to take a look and she thought the straps tightened from behind the seat like the infant carrier she had. so, the baby is 7 mo and weighed all of maybe 12 lbs maybe a bit more. she was born addicted to drugs so she has had it pretty rough start but doing great now! she had the buckle in the second position, the harness on the second to the top slot and the excess harness straps dangling in the back of the seat. at least she had this kiddo rfing but i put the baby in her seat and moved the harness down 2 slots moved the buckle in and took the knots out of the harness where it was attached to the yoke, and of course showed her where the harness adjuster was. i told her to find a tech immediately. she had the seats in good and tight, just didnt understand that u couldnt put a 12 maybe 13 lb kiddo in a swimming harness and buckle? how does one know to get the seat in really tight but just figures the harness is for what? lol its not funny and i hope and pray the harness stays that way and that she turns the other kiddo around and sees a tech. (we discussed web sites and her local fire dept)

i didnt feel comfortable her leaving with her restrained (or should i say not) that way. but she had no car seat manual, i had never worked with that seat before, and not to mention im not a cpst.

just hope i made some difference.

ADS

henrietta

You did well!!! :thumbsup:

The Tribute can be very difficult to tighten the straps, as they can get caught up underneath the seat, so it's not surprising that one would have trouble, even if it was used correctly. We had trouble w/ours all the time when we used it a lot. Luckily, it's a very easy seat to install, even rearfacing.

henrietta

outnumberedby6

You did well!!! :thumbsup:

The Tribute can be very difficult to tighten the straps, as they can get caught up underneath the seat, so it's not surprising that one would have trouble, even if it was used correctly. We had trouble w/ours all the time when we used it a lot. Luckily, it's a very easy seat to install, even rearfacing.

henrietta

thanks. the harness appeared to have two sets of "loops" where it could be attached to the yoke. i, never have seeing this before and not having the owners manual, attached the harness to the yoke using the loops at the end of the harness. make sense? i told her though, i have no idea if this is correct, never seen this before and take it to a tech IMMEDIATELY. i checked to see that it would tighten, loosen and of course stay secure.
??? nervous either way

christineka

If it has two sets of loops, the seat was likely the titan. You use the inner set if you can't get the harness tight enough with the end set.

Also, Evenflo has all their manuals online. You just put in the model # and dom.

outnumberedby6

If it has two sets of loops, the seat was likely the titan. You use the inner set if you can't get the harness tight enough with the end set.

Also, Evenflo has all their manuals online. You just put in the model # and dom.

thanks for that, didnt have internet access in the parking lot lol but for future refrence perhaps i should look now lol

she said she got it at walmart for 50 dollars and it was the pink and brown cover. i just went online to see what it was today before posting the owner didnt know what it was. of course.:(

Wineaux

thanks for that, didnt have internet access in the parking lot lol but for future refrence perhaps i should look now lol

she said she got it at walmart for 50 dollars and it was the pink and brown cover. i just went online to see what it was today before posting the owner didnt know what it was. of course.:(

That's why I love my smartphone. I can access the internet whenever I have a cell signal, so it's great for grabbing online manuals in a pinch!

christineka

Well, a pink cover $50 evenflo seat sounds like the tribute. Maybe they added a second set of loops since the redesign. (Mine only has 3 harness slots.)

macmomma

I have noticed that quite a bit with foster parents:( I wished that during the foster classes they would have a car seat class! I have talked and corrected 3 seats in the last week alone. I am by far not as good as most people here but I do know that the harness has to be tight, infant seat has to be RF and a seat made back in the 80'S !! is long expired- all these I saw within the last few days from fellow foster parents:(

Lot of them have older kids and have no idea how to use the new seats. My birth son is 15 years old and when I started foster parenting I had NO clue what the tether was and the latch....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC