Question What is that plastic button do-hickey and can I remove it from the seat belt?

mom1mg

Quick question-
In my never endin quest to get 3 across in my Rondo - I am temporarily using my Snugride without base in the middle of 2 boosters. The seat belt has this little round plastic button thing which sometimes gets in the way of the belt path. Anyone know what that thing does and if I can snap it off??? :confused:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The plastic button is a convenience thing meant to prevent the latchplate from sliding to the bottom of the belt thus making it easier to reach.

Yes, it's fine to remove it. Take a dull flat object like a credit card and slip it between the belt and the plastic piece and just pry it apart. There will be a tiny hole between the weave of the webbing where the one half comes out, but it will fill itself in - it's not actually a hole per se, it's just a space that disappears with time.

I believe all 3 are gone from the 2nd row in my truck. 2 on purpose, one broke off from sitting on the MA LATCH bar. Our previous car dh caught the passenger seatbelt in the door and it broke the plastic piece off. The dealership told us then to not worry about it since it was just a convenience thing - which matches up with everything else I've always heard. :thumbsup:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Another option, in order not to "damage" a vehicle, is to twist down the female end of the buckle stalk in order to re-position the button outside the beltpath. I use this option at checks.

-Nicole.

skaterbabs

that little round plastic thing is for management of the seatbelt buckle, and you can take it off as long as you do so carefully. If you do it the wrong way you can tear your seatbelt, but it's not difficult. I used a spoon to pop off the one in my old Jeep.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I popped mine off with a spoon, and put it in a bagging with a little note, reminding me what it was, its location and to not throw it out. Its in my glove box.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC