Safeseat 2 ?

mominabigtruck

I know that graco is revamping the safeseat 2 so that it will go up to 50lbs. My question is are they actually changing the seat or just testing it to a higher weight limit on the same base? I'm wondering because I was looking online and I love the built in lockoffs and I can't afford another britax right now but I could afford a ss2 of clearance. If I knew they were testing the same base up to 50lbs I would have no problem using it to 50 even though it was only marked to 40lbs.

ADS

Splash

Graco says that the change will not be retroactive. Whether or not they are actually changing it or just re rating it isn't known (that I can find) but they are stating that the old ones must stop at 40 pounds.
Where are you finding it on clearance? This is the one I want my SIL to buy.

mominabigtruck

My tru has it on clearance for $110 and I have a friend that works there and gets a discount. I imagine it hasn't been selling real well for them, being as it was $180 for a seat that you can only use ff for 20lbs.

Splash

I've seen it at BRU for $130 almost always. I thought $130 was reasonable. $180 is ridiculous. Target charges $150 for it, which I think it bordering on too high.
I wish Graco would have made it a convertible. It would be awesome then!

mominabigtruck

If you google it you can find versions of it that are almost $200. I looked at it when it first came out and thought it was really nice but I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to install it rfing. Then the sales lady told me that it only ff and I though well that's just a big waste of money. I love the lockoffs though because none of the vehicles I use (except for the semi of course:rolleyes:) have latch.

Yoshi

When is the 50 lb. version going to be available? I would love it as a spare seat in my Mom's car because DD tried one in BRU and she had like 4 " of harness height left. It has EPS foam, correct? That would be awesome!

Splash

EPS foam and super deep sides. Deeper than a Boulevard definitely. I love this seat. However it is HUGE. I would not fit in a very small car. It is an EXTREMELY deep seat because of the 'recline on the fly' aspect. It's basically an entire huge heavy frame, and THEN they put a big car seat on top of the frame on rollers. It's BIG. But awesome. I love it and might buy it for my dad's car once he starts watching Charlie (not till this summer) a few days a week. I might get the RY Sport though, can't decide between the two. But if a 50 pound version is out by then for about the same price as the old one (and why wouldn't it be?) I'll pick the Graco hands down. IF it fits in his car!

crystal vowell

EPS foam and super deep sides. Deeper than a Boulevard definitely. I love this seat. However it is HUGE. I would not fit in a very small car. It is an EXTREMELY deep seat because of the 'recline on the fly' aspect. It's basically an entire huge heavy frame, and THEN they put a big car seat on top of the frame on rollers. It's BIG. But awesome. I love it and might buy it for my dad's car once he starts watching Charlie (not till this summer) a few days a week. I might get the RY Sport though, can't decide between the two. But if a 50 pound version is out by then for about the same price as the old one (and why wouldn't it be?) I'll pick the Graco hands down. IF it fits in his car!

I know it's a parental decision but isn't Charlie way too young for ff?

Splash

Charlie is 30 pounds and I am almost certain he will be 33 by July. He'll be two in August.
Even if he were under the weight limit to rear face, I would put him forward facing in my father's car. I believe that my dad is more likely to correctly use a forward facing car seat than a rear facing one, not out of lack of caring but lack of ability. Also his car has a small backseat and if I installed a rear facing seat, I would be more likely to be constantly installing it (due to the passenger eating the dashboard) than if I put in a forward facing seat.
The rides he would be taking with my father would be a few times a week at most, almost exclusively to the park about 2 miles away through neighborhood streets. And my father is a big walker and prefers to walk most places, so walking to the park would be more likely than driving anyway. Plus since he will be so close to the limit (within a pound or two at the least, if he is not OVER the limit) I do not see the point of buying a lesser quality convertible seat when I could get a fabulous forward facing only seat for the same price. A larger Britax would likely not work in his car forward facing for the same reason it doesn't work in mine (we both drive Subarus), the degree of recline forward facing is just too severe in regards to the angle of the back seats. And since he has already outgrown all other convertible seats RF by height, except a few Cosco seats that I will not consider for him, I would essentially be paying $200+ for a convertible seat to rear face him for a pound or two, before the seat became obsolete.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
The Graco representative at one of our car seat checks at BRU told us the old Safeseat 2 would be pulled at the end of the year (2006) and the new one was due the by the beginning of 2007... as we can all see that didn't happen. They are making changes to the Frame of the SAfeseat 2, so it will have a different shell then the current one. She could not tell us if they were making higher harness slots or not. So you can not use an old safeseat 2 to 50lbs when the new ones come out cause it isn't tested to that weight and the new ones will be different... supposedly... Now will any of this really happen?? I have no idea!! LOL just thought I would pass on info I was told.
Jen

Yoshi

The Graco representative at one of our car seat checks at BRU told us the old Safeseat 2 would be pulled at the end of the year (2006) and the new one was due the by the beginning of 2007... as we can all see that didn't happen. They are making changes to the Frame of the SAfeseat 2, so it will have a different shell then the current one. She could not tell us if they were making higher harness slots or not. So you can not use an old safeseat 2 to 50lbs when the new ones come out cause it isn't tested to that weight and the new ones will be different... supposedly... Now will any of this really happen?? I have no idea!! LOL just thought I would pass on info I was told.
Jen

Thanks, I will keep my fingers crossed. Maybe they will make it a convertible with a limit to 50 lbs? Even so, there is still time. It's only the first week of January!

Splash

If that seat was a convertible, it would be the tip top of my list. It might even surpass the Britax convertibles... okay, it wouldn't, but only because of the RF tether. But it would definitely move into my number two (after all big Britax but before the RA) pick for a convertible seat.
But it won't happen. I don't see Graco doing that. They're mean.

But if they DID do that, then the 3 step system would be adequate for almost every child. Rear face until 30 pounds (probably around two for most kids), harness until 50 pounds (roughly 5 for most kids), and then a good booster until they're done with their car seat days. Graco would have a real winner with that system, *if* they did it that way.

Yoshi

I had a conversation with Graco about this whole 3 step system last year. I told them basically what you said in your last paragraph. they said they were working on it.....We'll see.

Simplysomething

If that seat was a convertible, it would be the tip top of my list. It might even surpass the Britax convertibles... okay, it wouldn't, but only because of the RF tether. But it would definitely move into my number two (after all big Britax but before the RA) pick for a convertible seat.
But it won't happen. I don't see Graco doing that. They're mean.

But if they DID do that, then the 3 step system would be adequate for almost every child. Rear face until 30 pounds (probably around two for most kids), harness until 50 pounds (roughly 5 for most kids), and then a good booster until they're done with their car seat days. Graco would have a real winner with that system, *if* they did it that way.

We need to badger Graco with this post. It's perfect. Well, the last paragraph, the first, they might take issue with..heh.

Seriously though, it would be perfect. And that way most parents who don't know about the Britax and other higher end seats would still have their kids in appropriate restraints, kwim? (Rather than the booster at age 3 that many parents do)

As I've said before, my oldest could have remained harnessed for another year in his cargo if the weight limit were higher. (Actually another TWO years, as he wasn't 48 lbs until after he turned 6. If we lived in Canada, then it would have been a non issue).

As for forward facing, my 21 month old is forward facing in my mothers car.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC