I really dont like what I saw today.....

agurlsride

I pulled up to a stop light next to a lady with 2 kids in the back seat, one in a harnessed booster and the other in an infant seat. I thought everything was ok until I saw the little one in the infant seat lean forward and than OVER the side of the seat....I don't know if she was not strapped in or if she just had the harness SUPER loose. She then turned around in the opposite direction and was almost on her stomach in the seat. I tried to get the mom's attention but she was too busy singing to the radio. I was so sad to see them drive off...mom was oblivious.

ADS

myliljunebugs

:( Hopefully it was a one time thing where she just didn't notice and fixes it as soon as she sees it....and that nothing happens in the meantime :(

TheNimpsGirl

I would have called the police and reported a child being transported without being restrained properly (and explained what I was seeing) because honestly, being in a seat without the straps on or that lose is going to have the same result as being in no car seat, that baby is goint to go flying in an event of a car accident. It's an emergency that 911 needs to know about IMO and at least in this area, take serouisly and send out cops to try and find the car (you would need a license number, make, model, color and direction the car is driving in). Don't worry, once you call 911 a few times about unrestrained children you feel less and less like a whackjob each time you call :whistle:

Anne

I would have called the police and reported a child being transported without being restrained properly (and explained what I was seeing)

I've wanted to do this before, but it's a secondary offense here, so they can't do anything about it. They have to catch you doing something else to pull you over. I think it's secondary for the OP's state, too. It's quite annoying, I would love to call and report them!

Spam

It sucks seeing things like that and feeling totally helpless. Hopefully it was something that doesn't happen every time, and this was a rare occasion where she forgot to adjust the straps or something. The other day I was at my mom's work (migrant headstart) and a guy picked up his twins who are about A's age but smaller. He strapped them into car in just the seatbelt. NO carseat at all, not even a booster. Then later I saw a toddler in a carseat, but not strapped in at all, they were turned all the way around. I just don't get it.

ceruti82

i was actually curious about what to do about this as well.. yesterday i saw a suv driving next to me, and when i pulled up to the side of it, there was a little girl sitting on the floor of the passengers seat at her dad's (or another man?) legs .. :thumbsdown: she was proably about 7, not that age matters AT ALL in this case... but i was wondering, can i call the police, give a license plate if i ever see something like this again??! or is it out of my hands? i was going to take down a plate #, but the car turned just after i passed it, so there was no way i could see it.
i felt sickened seeing this. so sad.

what does one do in this situation??!!??!!

Wiggles

Might sound awful, but if I saw the little girl on the floor at a man's feet? I'd call the police and say that I was concerned that the little girl was being kidnapped. Because what other reason would there be to have a child in such a hidden place in the car? Whether it was true or not, would be irrelevant, but I'd place the call just in case and I'm pretty sure the police would HAVE to respond to that. I can't see any *good* reason to have a little girl sitting in that kind of position, but I can think of a lot of sordid ones.

ceruti82

not to disregard your input, but I think in this instance it was a family where there were too many people in the vehicle. I live in southern California and I have seen too many people in cars a few times, since moving here, but never with a child. Usually it's too many people in a work vehicle.
But maybe being a child, the police would do something about it!

PHaley

I call them car chairs around here because children just sit on them they are not restrained in them and I have seen too many times the seats not even installed or installed incorrectly, ie infant seat facing forward or seatbelts over the child in harness :( I have a friend whose a cop and I've gotten through to him, he always proudly reports back when he has ticketed or fixed a situation that he knew would make me throw up lol Also I don't hesitate to call the cops if I figure they can catch them like the time I say a set of maybe 2 yr old preschool kids and their 5 or so cargivers all climb into one dodge durango looking truck...I swear I thoought I was at the circus! I also leave notes if they're parked. It's so sad and I really hate seeing it, I'm so scared I will get in an accident with one of those cars and there will be tradgey!

BigDaddy

The law here was just changed so that seat belt violations are a primary offense. I still don't think that they would care enough to do anything about it if they were called. I'll find out though, and report back. I'm going to start calling and reporting all the misuse that I've seen. The thing I see most is children with no car seat, booster, or seat belt being used at all. I wish it were set up so that the parents get fined, and then the state uses the money to buy the kid a seat.

I've called several times to report drivers running the stop signs on buses, and they didn't seem to care at all. They took my name, number, and the location where it happend, and said that they would check it out. To which I reply, don't you at least want the tag number, description of the car, or the direction they were headed??

TheNimpsGirl

I've wanted to do this before, but it's a secondary offense here, so they can't do anything about it. They have to catch you doing something else to pull you over. I think it's secondary for the OP's state, too. It's quite annoying, I would love to call and report them!

Hmm, didn't know that. Thanks for the info and that sucks :thumbsdown:

When I've called in the past they ask for the info I mentioned earlier and then I can actually hear the dispatch calling it out. Now whether or not they actually ever find these people, I don't know, but I feel like at least I've done what I can do. Also in my state you can be pulled over for seat belt violations alone (as far as I understand it) so perhaps that's why?

Now don't get me wrong, I can't call about every improperly restrained child... I would do nothing but call 911 every time I drive some where, I have to personally draw the line some where for my own sanity. That's why I only call about unrestrained children who look very little (like the man driving with a toddler on his lap or the women in the front passenger holding onto an infant with a four year old with her head out the back window).

And BigDaddy my in-laws live down in Florida... I had to close my eyes when they drove us any where when we went down there to visit them last year. It was so scary to watch cars packed with 9 people... in a sedan.

BigDaddy

And BigDaddy my in-laws live down in Florida... I had to close my eyes when they drove us any where when we went down there to visit them last year. It was so scary to watch cars packed with 9 people... in a sedan.
I've seen those... back of the cars nearly dragging, and kids on people's laps. :(

Wineaux

Call 911 every time. Just do it. Keep doing it. Cops tend to respond to child endangerment calls. Even if they have to come up with a primary offence in order to pull over the vehicle. One improper lane change, 1 mile over the speed limit, or not using a blinker gives them that excuse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC