Is there some sort of flier or something I can print out?

wendy1221

I have seen a few kids in my ds's preschool class riding just in a booster. This morning, it was a tiny little girl who might not even weigh 30lbs yet, let alone 40! But I didn't feel comfortable approaching her mom about it since I don't know her. But I truly think that at least a few of these parents would put their children back in harnesses if they knew how much safer they are! So is there a flier or something I can print out to hang up in the parent resource room? I know the teachers/administrator would be happy to have me put some carseat safety info up for parents!

ADS

MANDY1234

I made one...I took the most important infor from everything I've read and Put one together...and really I've learned to pick my battles. If there were in something at ALL then I give them a :thumbsup:...People just don't "care" for lack of better terms...

wendy1221

I really do think these parents would care though. Maybe not all of them. It's a really small "alternative" preschool, not a typical daycare, etc. KWIM? I think it's just ignorance, not a lack of caring. Not everyone researches stuff like this. THey go to the store, see a seat that says it's for kids their kid's size, and don't realize that just b/c the seat manufactuer says it's ok, doesn't mean it's actually the safest way for their kid to ride. KWIM?

Wineaux

I've posted this reply in a previous thread a good while ago, and it seems rather appropriate here as well, so I'll cut and paste it. Note, that this post was addressing some specific issues, but it would be incredibly easy to just tailor your responses to the issues at hand.

What is with the utter fear of confrontation? Is it just something in the feminine make-up that abhors it? Sorry, just a guy thing here. I'll just chalk it up to something else we just don't understand about the opposite sex, albeit our "list" is beginning to get as long as Santa's...

The trick is constructive criticism. Tell them about the things they are doing right, or at the very least how cute their kid is if they aren't doing anything right. Then tell them what they are doing wrong and why, and then offer a way, or ways, to correct the deficiency. Teach them how to fix the problem on their own if it happens again. Then praise them again for learning how to correct the problem.

Ie... I see that your child isn't buckled into the seat, but you are certainly using the retaining clip correctly! Cute kid btw. Aww... Gitchy gootchy, etc. Did you just unbuckle the straps for the walk in/out of daycare? Yes? Yeah, dealing with those bulky snow suits can be a real PITA. That's why I don't use them. (Insert discussion of thin fleece and blankets, car seat poncho's, and shower cap style covers here. Give her a cheap shower cap style cover if you want to buy one in advance to make both of you feel better and to engender the warm fuzzy's. This is also yet another good time to talk about fabric compression.)

No? Then you really need to have them buckled while in the car. The retaining clip is meant to break in a crash, and is just there to position the straps correctly in case of an accident. That means that if you are in a wreck, it is very possible that your child could be ejected from the seat, and we wouldn't want that would we? So, how can we fix it?

Let's see if we can loosen the straps some. Yes? Good, that works. (Insert discussion about compression here if you want, as you've already broached the subject of her child being thrown from the seat in the event of an accident.) No? Then we need to get her out of that bulky snow suit. Yes, there are ways to keep her plenty warm in the car without it. (Insert discussion of thin fleece and blankets, car seat poncho's, and shower cap style covers here. Give her a cheap shower cap style cover if you want to buy one in advance to make both of you feel better and to engender the warm fuzzy's. This is also yet another good time to talk about fabric compression.)

Get child buckled in correctly. Show Mom the correct placement of the retaining clip (tickle zone), how tight the straps should be, and how to adjust them. Make Mom show you she can accomplish these tasks. Praise her on how well she did them, how safe her child now is because it's so obvious that her Mommy loves her so much, and isn't he/she the cutest thing!

There, you've praised, you've constructively criticized, you've offered solutions, you've taught her how to apply those solutions, and you've praised once again. But... All of this hinges upon your ability to confront the issue in the first place. KWIM?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have seen a few kids in my ds's preschool class riding just in a booster. This morning, it was a tiny little girl who might not even weigh 30lbs yet, let alone 40! But I didn't feel comfortable approaching her mom about it since I don't know her. But I truly think that at least a few of these parents would put their children back in harnesses if they knew how much safer they are! So is there a flier or something I can print out to hang up in the parent resource room? I know the teachers/administrator would be happy to have me put some carseat safety info up for parents!

I agree with Wineaux. We ('girls') need to stop being so wimpy. LOL

I see exactly what you're talking about at my 4 yos prek EVERY day. And I do approach parents. The line I start with is 'Hi there! I was wondering if I could share something with you?'. No one has ever said no. And then I go on to say that I'm a car seat tech and that 'we' are doing our best but good info just isn't getting to parents like it should and 'I'm certain you didn't know but kids your daughter's and my son's age are much safer still being harnessed.' Or whatever. If they seem receptive I'll go on. If they don't I just tell them I'm happy to answer questions any time, feel free to flag me down in the parking lot.

MomToEliEm

or the regent with a kid over 40lbs using the LBP?

It probably is a pre-advisory regent. I am using a pre-advisory regent (without advisory stuff put on it) and use the older instructions so my my 40lb+ child is using the long belt path install. It installs much better in my car this way.

Wineaux

This one looks pretty decent. Too bad it says Colorado all over it, that may lead some people to believe that the general safety tips only apply in that state.

http://ext.dot.state.co.us/library/Brochures/boostseatbrochure.pdf/view

Download PDF Forge, it's free, and edit out the word "Colorado" from the document, resave it, and attach it to a message here. We really need to put together a sticky of current printable flyers and brochures for people to print out and use, or just link to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC