Vent It's no wonder people don't use car seats around here

myliljunebugs

When even policemen don't. :mad: I saw a policeman dropping off his child at DD's school (prek only, so 4 year olds and some 3 year olds) with her riding in the front seat in nothing. :eek:

ADS

hboo22

When even policemen don't. :mad: I saw a policeman dropping off his child at DD's school (prek only, so 4 year olds and some 3 year olds) with her riding in the front seat in nothing. :eek:

Do you live in my town?!? Happens all the time here too :thumbsdown:

susanx4

i am not surprised my brother and his wife ( both police officers) are terrible with car seats and letting kids ride up front

myliljunebugs

It just peeved me. And there are NO techs in NW Arkansas so I can't even suggest a car seat event to the preschool. :( Even if I could afford the class, I don't think I can take one around here to become a tech myself. *sigh*

Wineaux

You call 911 immediately and report the incident. I'd also report it to the school principal if your state law mandates car seat usage. Especially if they not only mandate proper use, but also restrict the age of front seat passengers like the Louisiana state law does.

BigDaddy

I think we may in fact live in the same place. No one here does the right thing either.
Same here. I see unsafe children all the time, I'd bet that my region has a 99.5% misuse rate. Most do not even comply with the state minimums outlined by the law. It's really sad. :(

myliljunebugs

We don't have a backseat law. Our law only states that they must use a child restraint through age 5. They may use a seat belt only if they are 6 or 60lbs. I HATE our laws. I'm going to talk to the Family Coordinater at the school about seeing if I can at least give out flyers to everyone. The Arkansas Children's hospital actually has a pretty good flyer out right now and I think it being AR will have more impact than anything else. http://www.archildrens.org/pdf/injury_prevention/Car_Safety/CPS Brochure, wo logo.pdf

Wineaux

Same here. I see unsafe children all the time, I'd bet that my region has a 99.5% misuse rate. Most do not even comply with the state minimums outlined by the law. It's really sad. :(
Again, just grab your cell phone and call 911. They really do respond!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Again, just grab your cell phone and call 911. They really do respond!

That probably does depend on your area.

OP, just to clarify, this was someone you know is a policeman, but in his private car, right? When I first read your post I thought maybe he had the kid in his cruiser.

Wineaux

Nope, he is in his cruiser, she is in DD's class and he drops her off before he goes to work.

Then you get his license plate number, note the date and time, and then call the police department. Ask to speak to the Chief of Police. Tell him exactly what you are seeing. He's breaking the law, and doing it in a department vehicle. In my book that should result in serious disciplinary action. Follow up. If you see him do it again, call back and give the Chief one last chance to fix his behavior. If he refuses to address the problem, then call and report everything, including the Chief's reticence to address the problem, to Internal Affairs. When you call refuse to let them transfer you to anything BUT Internal Affairs.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow! Yes, besides breaking the law in a department vehicle, the department might have its own regulations against people under a certain age being in the car, or people being in the car for non-department purposes.

If you really want to get picky, you can complain about taxpayer resources being used for personal matters.

But focus on the improper restraint first.

Kaede's_Mom

That's realy sad, but I see that kind of stuff all the time here in NE Oklahoma. Not just police, but firemen too. The sheriff in our county rides around with his 5 year old grandson in nothing but a seat belt, at least he is in the back seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC