Any tips/tricks to installing Marathon on a plane?

Ducky5306

We're flying from FL Miami to Detroit next week and i think the Marathon is the seat i'm bringing on the plane (I think the GN seems heavier) I already got a steel welding ring and weight bearing carabineer to hook the carseat up to the suitcase (and thanks to the mom on here who came up with that idea and posted pictures! beats trying to carry it around the airport!) So are there tips or tricks i should know about installing a (FF) Marathon on a plane? (its a airbus if that matters)

ADS

Pixels

You will need to either flip the seatbelt buckle over, or get a seatbelt extender and use that. If you don't do either, you will not be able to lift the lever on the buckle to release the seat. I have heard more than once that they had to take the plane seat apart to get out a very tightly installed Marathon (when buckle wasn't flipped and no extender was used).

You know the tiny seatbelt that the flight attendants hold up in the aisle while they demonstrate how to buckle up? That's a seatbelt extender. I've heard some people say that the flight attendant told them they didn't have any extenders because apparently the FA didn't understand what it was.

MomToEliEm

Besides flipping the buckle (only needed when forward facing), I found it really helped to recline the airline seat first, install the carseat and get it tight, and then return the airline seat up to an upright position. Hopefully you won't have any issues on your trip.

Since it doesn't sound like you are going to be trying to put multiple carseats in one row or rearfacing an older child, you probably won't have any issues with the flight attendants with your carseat usage. If you think you might run into issues though, it might be good to print off the FAA regulations/guidelines to have in your carry-on bags. Also, make sure you have your carseat's manual with you.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes

jujumum

I find that in addition to flipping the buckle, removing the black harness protector at the back helps get the belt on and off (even without an extender). If you can't get the seat unbuckled at the end of the flight, just recline the airline seat, and the MA will be loose enough to reach the buckle.:)

Ducky5306

Besides flipping the buckle (only needed when forward facing), I found it really helped to recline the airline seat first, install the carseat and get it tight, and then return the airline seat up to an upright position. Hopefully you won't have any issues on your trip.

Since it doesn't sound like you are going to be trying to put multiple carseats in one row or rearfacing an older child, you probably won't have any issues with the flight attendants with your carseat usage. If you think you might run into issues though, it might be good to print off the FAA regulations/guidelines to have in your carry-on bags. Also, make sure you have your carseat's manual with you.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes

I'll have to see if i can get my mom to print that out (I don't have a working printer, sadly) I'm very glad i asked because i'd hate to have not known about the buckle! Do the flight attendants really give you attitude about using a carseat on the plane? (I've never used one, we've flown twice but both times he was under 6 months and I didn't bring a seat- I honestly didn't even give it any thought, i've never seen a carseat on a plane before) I'll also have to try and dig out the manual! Thankfully I have a week before we go :D

Thanks so much!

Pixels

Attitude depends on the airline and the particular gate agent(s) and flight attendants working that day.

They're usually pretty good about allowing infant-only seats for under-1yos, and forward facing seats for 1-4 yos. It's when you try to RF after a year, or use your carseat for your older child that people more commonly run into problems.

Oh, one other tip - Make sure you know where the sticker is that says it's FAA approved, or know where to find it in the manual. I had a gate agent ask for it once, she wouldn't let me board until I could find it. It took about 10 minutes to find it because on that particular seat (ComfortSport) it's on the bottom of the seat, and I had my DD strapped in.

TXAggieTech

Our steps for buckling (on American Airlines):

1. Ask first attendant for a seat belt extender. Won't get it right away but they will bring it when they get a chance.
2. Check the back pocket of the last seat in first class on the right hand side of the plane for an extender. Usually a few are in there then you don't have to wait.
3. Recline the plane seat.
4. Shorten the plane lap belt as much as possible to where the buckle release is right next to the seat bight.
5. Buckle the MALE end of the plane belt into the FEMALE end of the extender.
6. Feed the MALE end of the extender through the belt path and buckle.
7. Check to make sure the plane belt is tighten all the way, then reach into the belt path and tighten the seat belt extender.
8. Put the plane seat back upright.
9. Take shoes off child and reiterate that they can't kick because it isn't nice to kick our neighbors.

To remove, recline the seat and unbuckle the plane belt first. I either leave the extender over the seat back if they brought it to me or put it back in the last seat of first class.

Have fun on your trip! It isn't as complicated as it sounds, promise!

Ducky5306

Attitude depends on the airline and the particular gate agent(s) and flight attendants working that day.

They're usually pretty good about allowing infant-only seats for under-1yos, and forward facing seats for 1-4 yos. It's when you try to RF after a year, or use your carseat for your older child that people more commonly run into problems.

Oh, one other tip - Make sure you know where the sticker is that says it's FAA approved, or know where to find it in the manual. I had a gate agent ask for it once, she wouldn't let me board until I could find it. It took about 10 minutes to find it because on that particular seat (ComfortSport) it's on the bottom of the seat, and I had my DD strapped in.

Anyone know where the FAA sticker is on a MA? :eek: I'll try to locate it when I take the seat out of the car..

I am so worried about him kicking the person in front of us! he ALWAYS kicks the seats in front of him in the car to the point that he is only allowed to ride in the middle seat and even then he still kicks :mad: I'm praying that he'll either sleep on the plane or that I cant bring enough new dollar store junk to keep him entertained! its a 3 hour flight!!

Off topic but I was buying some benadryl at target the other day and the lady in front of me other heard me tell dp I was buying it so we wouldn't have to take the open bottle on the plane and she said ohh so smart!! I always gave my kids a double dose of benadryl on flights! LOL Honest i bought it because my son has allergies!! I swear I won't use it unless he is having an allergy issue.. she called it "Baby Xanax" :eek:

indie

Make sure they don't put you on the very back seat because it doesn't recline or have any give. I got a Boulevard stuck there once and I ended up at the back of the plane with three flight attendants, 2 pilots, and a mechanic before the pilots (who arrived last) finally got it off.

Its worth noting that I had flipped the seat belt, but it somehow flipped back but was still in too tight. I ask for a belt extender now when I fly. One time I had an attendant tell me he was just about to offer me one and another time I had to wait forever.

M

melisabeth

I'm also going to be traveling with my daughter (she'll be 12 mos.) with her MA on a plane in a couple weeks. So I'm going to piggyback on this thread. :whistle: I don't mind FFing her on the plane, but I have one question about that: should I change the harness strap height? She is RF in my car and I plan on RFing her in my sister's Tahoe when we get there, so I'd rather not change the strap height. Would it be a big deal to have the straps below her shoulders while she's FF on the plane?

morninglori

I'm also going to be traveling with my daughter (she'll be 12 mos.) with her MA on a plane in a couple weeks. So I'm going to piggyback on this thread. :whistle: I don't mind FFing her on the plane, but I have one question about that: should I change the harness strap height? She is RF in my car and I plan on RFing her in my sister's Tahoe when we get there, so I'd rather not change the strap height. Would it be a big deal to have the straps below her shoulders while she's FF on the plane?

I would just RF her on the plane an not worry about moving the harness straps. It is easy to do and you don't need an extender. Just use the RF belt path and route over the seat cover. I found that the buckle was conveniently in the center, and DS didn't mess with it at all.

The person in front can't recline, so you might want to mention this to them. No one has (directly at least) said anything to me about not being able to recline...I think they know it is better than having the seat kicked.

GL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC