Compare SS1 to SR

jewlsvern

We are flying in 2 weeks and IL's are picking us up and will have our new SS1 with them. I have only used a SR and am wondering how it compares to the SS1. Any tricks or anything I should know to install the SS1? I would rather figure this out now instead of at the airport at 11pm.

ADS

arly1983

Oh, you are going to love the SS1 base if all you have used is the SR. It is a dream to install with latch or belt with the built in lock-off and knob-adjusted recline foot.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
With LATCH, it's about the same. Does their car have LATCH? Simple, nothing to it. If they have only seatbelts, then pop open the red and gray lockoff in the middle of the base, put the seatbelt in the belt path (same as the SR), pull the shoulderbelt so the lapbelt gets super snug, and then clamp the lap and shoulder sections of the belt in the lockoff. Voila, that's it. No need to even pull the belt all the way out to lock it, if they have switchable retractors, and it should get totally tight just pushing it down with your hand, no need to get your knee in the base to tighten it or anything. Harness is about the same, but they have extra loops in the lap straps AND the shoulderstraps (SR only has them on the shoulderstraps).

TheNimpsGirl

Just wanted to add, incase your installing it center with a lap belt only, only the lap portion of the belt goes in the lock off, not the tail end of the belt (the part that you pull on to make the belt tight) per the manual. You just lay the tail portion over the lock off.

Also, adjusting the angle is super easy. All you do is turn the red knob on the base. The adjuster angle is only on the one side but it is much easier to adjust than the SR base. But if you think you will install it without the base I would have your in-laws bring a towel or pool noodles to ensure the angle is correct.

Mae

Just wanted to add, incase your installing it center with a lap belt only, only the lap portion of the belt goes in the lock off, not the tail end of the belt (the part that you pull on to make the belt tight) per the manual. You just lay the tail portion over the lock off.

Really? :eek:
Um, I guess I missed that part...

Mae

Actually, I believe the SS1 manual says to "Close lock-off over lap belt AND free end..."

Page 34 of SS1 manual here.

Whew! Thanks for clarifying. I didn't think I would have missed that, it would mean that I had it installed wrong for the duration I was using it!

TheNimpsGirl

Actually, I believe the SS1 manual says to "Close lock-off over lap belt AND free end..."

Page 34 of SS1 manual here.

Whoops sorry everyone! :eek: I guess I had been installing it wrong with the seatbelt (it's now installed with LATCH). But hmm, I even asked the senior checker at the event we went to who checked our final install when I was still pregnant and she said it didn't go in the lock-off. She even found it in the manual, pointed it out and I swear when I quickly read it I didn't catch that. But I went out to the car just now and sure enough. It's even bolded :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC