1985 Carseat photo of my nephew

Yoshi

My nephew in his infant seat circa 1985. He is currently a junior at Towson University in MD and is about 6' tall, but here he is back in the day! Check out the ORANGE harness- and how loose he looks in it!:eek: Also notice my sister was back to her 105 lbs immediately! Sorry for the fuzziness, it is a photo of the orig. photo.
100_3749.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

southpawboston

boy does that infant seat look primitive. but then again, it was 1985, when seatbelt use was only beginning to become mandatory in some states. it's good to know we've come a long was since then.

myliljunebugs

Wow, I wasn't even IN a car seat! I was born in 1980. I know they HAD them, but at that time very few people even knew about it. My mom consistently points out that my brother and I were always in a seat belt though, so in a way she was a car safety advocate too :D

Yoshi

All you young'uns!!! LOL! I've been driving for longer than you have been alive! I'm going to try to dig out a couple more of my son in 1989 tonight.

Wineaux

All you young'uns!!! LOL! I've been driving for longer than you have been alive! I'm going to try to dig out a couple more of my son in 1989 tonight.
I was about to say... I graduated in 1982! :eek:

When I was baby my folks were driving an old Chevy from 1950's. No seatbelts, metal dashboard's, and no AC. No AC in Louisiana in the summer is U-G-L-Y to say the least. I just sat, or stood, in the back seat, this was the late 1960's by the way. When I was around three years old some guy in front of us stopped very suddenly so my mom slammed on the brakes. I hit the back seat with my face. Face red, and tears in my eyes, I leaned out the side window shaking my fist and yelled at the driver in front of us, "Hey mister! You killed my nose!"

A portent of things to come my mother always said...

Yoshi

I was about to say... I graduated in 1982! :eek:

When I was baby my folks were driving an old Chevy from 1950's. No seatbelts, metal dashboard's, and no AC. No AC in Louisiana in the summer is U-G-L-Y to say the least. I just sat, or stood, in the back seat, this was the late 1960's by the way. When I was around three years old some guy in front of us stopped very suddenly so my mom slammed on the brakes. I hit the back seat with my face. Face red, and tears in my eyes, I leaned out the side window shaking my fist and yelled at the driver in front of us, "Hey mister! You killed my nose!"

A portent of things to come my mother always said...

Wineaux, that reminds me- there was a thread on here about a month ago (sorry, no time to find the link..I am making cupcakes instead of DINNER!) but it was about the scary stories of all of us kids in cars from the 60's and 70's. It was a trip down memory lane. Just go back about 4 or 5 pages, maybe you can find it!

Wineaux

Wineaux, that reminds me- there was a thread on here about a month ago (sorry, no time to find the link..I am making cupcakes instead of DINNER!) but it was about the scary stories of all of us kids in cars from the 60's and 70's. It was a trip down memory lane. Just go back about 4 or 5 pages, maybe you can find it!

Cupcakes? I can give you an address to send them to... ;)

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Your nephew and I had the same seat--that's an Evenflo Dyn-O-Mite. Here's mine, circa 1984 (but mine didn't have the cool orange harness):

crsjq8.jpg

Yoshi

Oooh...red gingham with eyelet- that's so retro and you were soooo cute! I guess my nephew's seat must have been denim. "Dyn-O-Mite"!!:p What a silly name for a carseat! My son's carseat was like that with the lapbelt over the seat. I was a PITB to keep installing it each time with baby in it. The only good thing was that I had a center lap belt that automatically locked upon tightening- so no need for a locking clip or anything. I'd ratchet that thing down so tight, I'd break a sweat. I kept him in the center forever! (he was my only child for a LOOOOOOOONG time)

canadianmom2three

The blue one with the red harness - how long do you think they made that model??? Here is the sad thing - when I had my first in 1997 we were unmarried and dirt poor, a friend of the family gave us what looks to me like the identical seat, that she had used for her two kids (the oldest of her two was nine at the time - YIKES - I was obviously a little uneducated) and our little guy almost ended up riding home from the hospital in it. Luckily Grandma to the rescue and he got a brand new evenflo...whew. I guess you don't know what you don't know - and luckily I am a wee bit more knowledgable now;)

soygurl

Oh my! I was born in 1985, so that is really weird to see!

Yeah that! I was born in '85 too... so weird!

I don't know if there are any pics of me in an infant seat though.
I might have to go on a photo search when I visit my parents next! :p

I DO remember the Fisher Price T-shield seat that I had as a toddler though... and the shield booster I had in my dad's truck. :rolleyes:

My parent's RAVED about that T-shield seat too! I think they loaned it out to several other families when I stoped using it too. :eek: At least it hadn't been in any accedents...

Robert

CPST Instructor
That is a cool picture of the 1985 car seat. Buts whats scary is they still (thou rare) show up at checkup events.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I was born in 77'. I asked my mom if we had carseats and she said she didn't think they had seats for under 20lbs, so as a new born she put me in a cuddle seat with a seat belt around it. Once I was older we were always in a carseat and then a booster, her friends thought she was crazy! In '86 & '87 when my two youngest brothers were born, my mom had a strollee carseat for both and they both started rearfacing, then forwarded and a booster around 4. I remember her putting in the seats and making sure they were tight!
7669964_104.ts1168530458000.jpg

DH in his cudle seat, just so you can see what a cuddle seat is. His parents never used it in the car, they just laid their kids in a drawer on the back seat :eek:

Last edited:

Kellyr2

I was born in 80 and I shall be asking my brother (who currently lives with my parents) to dig through the photo albums and see if there are any pics of us in seats.

bp2002

Wow.. I was born in 83, and my parents had a seat belt installed in the floor of their conversion van, in between the front seats! I rode rear facing there until I moved to a convertible (FF) at like 9 months (and only 14 lbs! I was tiny).. I remember riding in my strollee car seat until i was almost 5 (with the vinyl cover that burned me a few times).. then a booster.

the sad thing is, the first kid i nannied for (with my mother home), was an infant in 1994, and we still used the strollee carseat! We didnt know they expiried! It was bought for my older bro or sister, making it atleast 12 yrs old when I used it for the baby. YIKES!

Lauren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC