Tech's in Iowa (or anywhere), why should I get certified?

starbuck8088

Hi! My name is Megan, long time lurker here, infrequent poster. Sometime around a year ago, I developed a fascination with car seats. I've spend a lot of time reading here and doing research on my own and I've learned quite a bit. I've tossed around the idea of getting certified for a while now. I was really close to taking a course in Des Moines but it was a week after my wedding and I couldn't afford to take more time off.

The issue I'm having with this, is that as far as I can see, there isn't a whole lot going on with CPS down here (Southern Iowa.) Currently I work at a daycare, and have actually talked to a few parents about car seats. But that's about the extent of what I see. I've never heard of a seat check in my area; the closest is most likely Des Moines, which is an hour away.

I'd love to be able to say, "I'm a tech" when I answer someone's question, so they don't think I'm just some weirdo looking at car seats (not that I might not still get that response... It is the truth!). I just want to make sure there's going to be seat checks to participate in, and ways to keep my certification up.

Any advice? I'd really love to do it. My husband is encouraging me to do it. I'm just not sure it's worth it if I'm still going to be that car seat weirdo who can't do anything useful with all my knowledge.

ADS

Anne

Maybe you should get certified for all the reasons why you're considering not getting certified. Be the one to bring CPS awareness to your community. Organize a seat check (you'll have to get a senior checker on board). :twocents:

I wasn't sure if I should really get certified since I'm "just a mom" and not with any organization, so no "real" reason for it. But I'm very glad I did it. And to be honest, I'd never heard of a local seat check, couldn't have told you if they even had them around here. Apparently I just don't get the memo's, because they do happen. Now that I know how to find them, I see there are many going on around here. I'm participating in one just down the street from me this Thursday. It's been planned for a while, but I only just found out after getting certified and contacting my local Safe Kids coordinator.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I'm a tech in Iowa. There are a couple of us, actually, and one of them may be in your area. I'll send her a PM and see if she wants to chime in on this thread. The communities that have no techs are the ones that most need them, though.

BTW, I have family near New Market.

starbuck8088

I just decided to go through the list of Techs on the SafeKids website, and there's none listed where I'm at. There's a few in Sigourney, one in Pella, and one in Albia. None listed anywhere in Mahaska County. That might just be good enough reason to get certified.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
GRRRRR! I just had a huge posted typed and it disappeared. :mad:

Anyway, a very quick re-cap. Get certified! Every tech is needed and it's ok to be the only one.

I'm in the Quad Cities, if you ever need help over this way.

Must get to bed, sorry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC