carseats and airplane travel

aimeethompson

so we will be travelling to california and then a few months later traveling to brazil. i am wonderign if i should use a carseat for my 4 year old or if the seatbelt would be suffice. i know the rule is that it is by choice but not sure what would be best. i wonder what would be the most comfortable for sleep especially for the long brazil flight.

also, my 1 year old will be in a carseat for sure but should he be FF or RF? does it matter?

lastly, being that the nautilus is so big, does anyone know if it fits in the airplanes well. i am assuming the armrests will have to be up as it is a wide seat.

thanks in advance

ADS

mcomommy

We just moved to Cali a few weeks ago and few here from NC.

My 4.5 year old daughter used her Nautilus on the plane and it fit great and installed super easy. She was very comfy and safe and I think we just put up one armrest.

What seat do you have for your 1 year old? My one year old rode rear facing in his Marathon on the plane just as in the car. I figure if they are safer in the car that way why not in the plane too? I would try to rear face your 1 year old too because mine slept they whole way and was comfortable cradled in his seat and easy to take care as he was facing me.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What do you plan to do for a car seat in California? What about Brazil? You're in Canada, right? How long will you be staying in California? Under what status? (If you will be staying under certain statuses, you establish residency and within 10 days in California, would need a U.S. carseat for both children, and a CA driver's license unless you have an international license.)

aimeethompson

ketchupqueen - we are just visiting both places and plan to bring both seats with us. i just wasn't sure if my son would be more comfortable and safer in a carseat ont he plane

mcomommy - my 1 year old has a aoe. he also has a enspira so we might bring that one to cali because we need to fit the smallest carseat in my SIL car.

thanks for you input

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay. If you are bringing your car seat with you, you'll want to bring it on the plane! Checking a car seat, or even gate checking, is not a good idea. Have you seen that video that floated around about "United Breaks Guitars?" Well, they break car seats, too... Using it on the plane is the easiest and safest way to get it to your destination without damage. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC