6-hour flight with 2 kids

Elee

We will be flying cross-country in 2 weeks... Yikes! Please help us figure out what is the safest for the kids.
DD - 15 months, 24 lbs, 31.5 inches.
DS - 3.5 yrs, 38 lbs, 41.5 inches.

Both kids will have their own seats on the flight. DD will be RF in Cosco Scenera. DS will have his cousin's extra car seat at our destination, but what should we do with him on the flight and for the 40-min taxi ride from our home to the airport?

Was going to order the CARES harness for DS, but I just found the height limit of 40". So, is it safe for a kid under 40 lbs to travel "naked" on the plane? And we'd still need something else, like the SafeRider Vest, just for the ride to the airport?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

What seat does your son use at home? With the need to have a seat for the taxi ride, it seems to me that it would be easier to just take his seat along and use it in the plane and the taxi. That sounds cheaper and easier then buying a harness/vest for use in the taxi.

Is there anyway to have someone pick you up from the airport so you would have the extra seat right at the airport?

I don't have a problem with a 3.5 year old in a regular airplane seat, though he would probably be more comfortable in a carseat, especially if he might take a nap during the trip.

Elee

What seat does your son use at home? With the need to have a seat for the taxi ride, it seems to me that it would be easier to just take his seat along and use it in the plane and the taxi. That sounds cheaper and easier then buying a harness/vest for use in the taxi.
He's in the Graco Nautilus. We have an extra Cosco Scenera but it's tight both height-wise and weight-wise (he's 40 lbs w/ clothes & shoes). Should I still use it for this trip?

Is there anyway to have someone pick you up from the airport so you would have the extra seat right at the airport?
Yes, once we land, my sister will pick us up w/ her car seats, so we're all set. The problem is between our own house and the airport at the start/end of the trip; hate to drag an extra car seat just for use on the taxi ride there & back (40-min each way). That's why I was hoping to avoid having to carry TWO car seats through the airport. Guess I have no choice but to buy the RideSafer Vest then?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If he's at the weight limit of the Scenera, no, you shouldn't use it for the trip.

How about a Ride Safer Travel Vest for the taxi? You can get them for under $100 shipped right now (there's a thread in the Deals forum about it) and a size Small starts at 35 lbs., my daughter fit in it from about 37-- so he should fit. It can be used with a lap/shoulder belt in the taxi, and is small and light enough to fit in your carryon without trouble. :) I'd be fine with him in nothing on the plane, as long as he stays seated well and doesn't unbuckle. If not, I'd probably use the CARES even though he's over the height guideline.

Jan06twinmom

Could you drive yourself to the airport and park there? Or have a friend drop you off - someone who can keep the car seat in his/her vehicle to pick you up? We've found that easier for us with twins and two sets so car seats. I was just thinking that between the cost of the taxi and buying the harness, it might be cheaper to pay for parking - depending on where you live of course.

Melanie

Elee

Driving ourselves to the airport is possible, but NYC airports are annoying to deal with and we've found it to be more trouble than it's worth in the past... Guess we may have to reconsider due to this car seat situation though.

Regarding the RideSafer Travel Vest, I've read several reviews about its negatives -- kids not comfy in it, gets hot (I do have very "hot" kids!), not quick & easy to hook up in the car, etc. So I'm a bit hesitant about it still...

Do you think that a backless booster is an acceptable option? No, I normally wouldn't use it for a 3.5-year-old, but it's only for the two 40-minute taxi rides. I know he WILL be able to sit still and stay in the shoulder belt for the duration of our ride to the airport. Plus I'll be in the backseat to make sure he does. If so, any suggestions on which is the smallest/lightest and easiest to travel with?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Would you be in the manufacturer's weight and age limits? Yes, on at least one brand. Should you do it? I think not. Why? You almost certainly will not get an acceptable fit in the brands that I know of that "allow" use by a 3 year old who is not yet 40 lbs. And if it doesn't position the belt right, even if you are sitting right there making him sit still (can you really do that 100% of the time, while being driven in a cab by who knows what kind of driver?), it could actually cause serious injury were you to be in a crash. So I would not do it, personally.

I do not find the RSTV to be hard to use or to take very long in most cars (really the only time it takes time is when it's in the middle of a 3 across and you have to climb over seats to get to it!)-- it is far quicker than installing a car seat and takes about as long as putting a kid in a high-backed booster, for me, and if it's hot or uncomfortable, as you say, it is only 40 minutes each way. You can re-sell it and probably make most of your money back after this trip, if you don't like it and want it for future situations. I think it's your best choice. If you don't want to use the vest, the next best option may be to bring along a regular car seat for him and use it on the plane and at your destination. But that's going to be even more trouble than the vest. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC