Question I can't seem to pick a seat for DH's car!

Marinesfamily5

:scratcheshead::hitselfonhead::shrug-shoulders:

so... We need carseats for DHs car. its a 2004 Dodge Neon
I really wanted to get a regent or Frontier, but my need for Dental work means I am on a small budget for seats.
I want a seat for big DS and little DS. whatever I get for them DD can likely go in one or the other. and the chances he will have all 3 in the car is like zero, since 3 across is exspensive lol

big DS is 45" and 45lbs , I believe he will gain some weight once he gets rid of the nasty cold he has.

here is what I am thinking to get:
Recaro Vivo booster ... $65 @ big lots
First Years compass booster... $69 @ mil exchange or $69 online most places
Evenflo Gnerations 65... $? I think its $99 at BRU
and I am open to suggestions under $100 (I do not care for cosco or safety 1st stuff)

little DS is 34.5" tall and 27lbs..we call him the runt lol
for little DS I am likely getting him a Evenflo Titan Sport... $80 but I have a 10% off BRU coupon.

BTW: DD is about 41" tall, 15" shoulder to bottom, and 45lbs

ADS

NannyMom

What is little DS' seated height? Many here don't like the Titan because it has a relatively short shell, and short harness slots. It's often outgrown early. But my DD just turned 3, is 36 inches tall, and 29 pounds. She has about 1/2 to 1 inch to grow.

Marinesfamily5

lil' DS is about 12-12.5 " from booty to shoulder

ohh and big DS is about 15.5" floor to shoulder

Last edited:

cookie123

Is little ds the 2 year old? What seats do you have now? I wouldn't get the Titan for a 2 year old. It doesn't have very high harness slots and probably won't last him long. Is he ff or rf?

And dd is 3? Wouldn't put her in a booster for a long while. If dd has a 15.5 inch shoulder height, she has most likely outgrown the Titan.

cookie123

I see now dd has a 15 inch shoulder height. The Generations is about 16 or 16.5 I think. That would probably work for her for awhile. I take it the 2 year old is ff? The Nautilus would be ideal. All 3 kids could use it. Of course there is the need to redo slots for each. The older 2 would likely use the same one.

I defer to the others for booster ideas.

NannyMom

The booster seat if for OP's 5 year old DS, not DD :)

I'd choose the Vivo for older DS.

I'm on the fence with the Titan. How long do you want it to last him RF? HOw about an Avenue? It has a taller shell and higher top slots for FF. And it seems to be on sale at Sears.

Marinesfamily5

we need 2 seats, for when DS is in school DH can take he other 2 kids or something.

I am really a minority , in that I hate the nautilus. I guess I am just not a fan of Graco's convertible and booster seats but I really am not a nauti fan.

lil' DS is FF:(

I would like a booster that latches in but those are all $$$

I am heavily leaning towards the generations... just have to wait and do a test install.

The seats will not be used often, and mostly will be just DH and big DS

and DD is a tad young for a booster, almost 4 but she is well within' the height and weight so mostly its a maturity issue. I think she will do fine. she screams if DH pulls out of the driveway and something isn't buckled. SHe knows and respects car seat saefty :thumbsup:

NannyMom

Sorry, I guess I was confused.

I'd buy a Generations 65 for DD and.... One for DS too. With your coupon and a twin discount, it'd be $162 ($81 each).

Wineaux

Don't forget to check out Kohl's online for car seats. Escpecially with the readily available 20-30% off coupons. We've found some seriously good bargains there recently.

Marinesfamily5

Kohl's doesn't sell ANY evenflo seats ... bummer

ETA: you all were right about the titan. I tried lil D in the Titan sport and he was at the top slot .

so.. I got the generations 65.... Its not really going to work for big DS and DD. they are both at the top slot already. Ds will get maybe a few months of use out of it. One growth spurt and its toast...

It will work for lil DS, but I'm not crazy about the idea.

the blue ruler is in the middle slot
EvenfloGenerations65005.jpg

the harness is threaded through the bottom slot
EvenfloGenerations65006.jpg

I talked to Dh last night. We are thinking about getting another Decathlon. If we adopt my cousins son we will need it for him in my truck but until then it can be used in the car. .... now I guess I have to stare at my budget until the $ appears lol

Marinesfamily5

FYI: all the recaros at big lots have DOMs from 2007!.

They are 2 years old already... not sure if I can justify the $65 for them when I can get a compass for that price with a recent DOM :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC