Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

highest harness height?

Insurance is buying us new seats and I'm taking advantage of DS hopefully getting a new seat that can harness him for hopefully longer.

He has a bit of growing room in the radian (installed) but we were hoping to go for the frontier or CA and we tried them at TRU today (uninstalled) and he seems RIGHT at the top of the harness... I thought they were both higher then the radian???
    DS(7) 54lbs, 50" in a Parkway SG & Monterey
    DS(5.5) 50lbs, 45" mainly harnessed in a Nautilus & sometimes cruising in a Parkway SG

DD (17m) in a RF'ing Paisley BLVD & occasionally a MyRide65

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: highest harness height?

I didn't think the CA was supposed to be taller. But both the Frontier and Nautilus should give a little bit of growing room over the Radian.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

You need to take the seats out to your vehicle, install them completely, and then see where your son's shoulders are in relation to the top harness slots.

Seats fit differently once installed... each vehicle is different, each kid is different... telling you which is technically "taller" doesn't matter as much as how it translates for your kiddo in your vehicle.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

5. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

I have seen a few people on the board here post that the Frontier is outgrown at basically the same time as the Radian for their child in the vehicle they use it in.

I'd give the Nautilus a try. It seems to fit higher and measure slightly higher as well. I'd expect the CA to fit very similarly to the Radian - I believe the top harness position on it measures around 18" or so - just double check that you had the headrest all the way up - you can flip the seat around and look for the indents where the metal bar locks in. If you can see an indent above where the headrest is locked, then it's not all the way up. You'll need to loosen the harness up in order to raise the headrest, and I found that last little bit takes some encouraging.

My dd has a little more growing room in the CA than the Radian - we're talking maybe 1/2" at the absolute most though... She has at least 1" more growing room in the Nautilus than in the Radian - I was shocked when we started using the radian in our 2nd car for her and she was an inch under the top slots when she's just barely needing the top slots in the Nautilus...

But like Angie said - give them a try in your vehicle and see how it goes.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Yep, I know the best bet is to go install them...

I'm already feeling HUGE this pregnancy so it doesn't seem like a fun idea lol.. Even though normally I'd be jumping on the chance to install carseats!

Thanks
    DS(7) 54lbs, 50" in a Parkway SG & Monterey
    DS(5.5) 50lbs, 45" mainly harnessed in a Nautilus & sometimes cruising in a Parkway SG

DD (17m) in a RF'ing Paisley BLVD & occasionally a MyRide65

We're getting quite a lot more growing room out of the Nautilus than we did with the Radian.
    Mama to :
    Boo (2002), apramo backless booster
    Bug (2004), Parkway SGL
    Bear (2006), Parkway SGL