1959 Bel Air vs 2009 Malibu

ADS

crunchierthanthou

oh, this one's better. it has view from inside the cabins.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwYBBpHg1I&NR=1"]YouTube - Crash test: 1959 Chevy Bel Air[/ame]

InTheWoods

Wow, look at the windshield fly out of the '59 Bel Air! Pretty much intact, like a frisbee.

Beyond that, car safety's come a long way, thank goodness.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Very cool!

(When I read the title, I thought you were trying to decide between the two cars! Guess the answer would be pretty clear now, huh? Well, that and the fact that the Bel Air probably doesn't have seatbelts...)

mama2Cecelia

I second the "wow"!!!

I can't believe the damage.....those older cars were like tanks, but after watching this I don't think so

I've owned a few older Pontiacs from the mid 60's and thankfully never got in a wreck

thanks for posting this-----definitely one to share

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I need to find the link, there was an article on examiner.com that stated the curb weight of the Bel Air isn't all that different from the Malibu's weight. Seatbelts, crumple zones that act as crumple zones and protect the passenger compartment, etc. have come a long way in 50 years, thankfully.

ETA: Here's the examiner.com article with the curb weights of the two cars, with the Bel Air outweighing the Malibu by 179 lbs., not as much of a weight difference as one might think: http://www.examiner.com/x-10974-Kan...ash-test-as-seen-on-ABCs-Good-Morning-America and another article discussing the X-frame used in the Bel Air which isn't as optimal a design as other cars contemporary to it, although other 1959 models were also lacking in comparison to today's safety features: http://www.examiner.com/x-1006-DC-A...IIHS-crash-tests-a-1959-Chevy-was-it-a-set-up

crunchierthanthou

I need to find the link, there was an article on examiner.com that stated the curb weight of the Bel Air isn't all that different from the Malibu's weight. Seatbelts, crumple zones that act as crumple zones and protect the passenger compartment, etc. have come a long way in 50 years, thankfully.

that CR link I hid at the bottom of my first post says 300-400 lbs. Which I don't think is all that much in terms of vehicle weights, especially when comparing one from 50 years ago.

Jeanum

Staff member
I edited my earlier post with the article link and a second article from examiner.com. 179 lb. weight difference, and the Bel Air's frame is an X-frame which wasn't the most optimal of frames.

Jeanum

Staff member
Apparently there were some detractors who suggested the Bel Air didn't even have an engine under the hood and/or it was nothing but dusty bits of rust ready to crumble at the slightest bump, etc., and that the IIHS had "rigged the test." The NY Times did some digging to find out more details about the specific Bel Air used in the crash test. While it wasn't a museum quality piece of automotive history, it did have an engine and a relatively sound frame and body panels for a 50 year old car: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/ You might need to register to read the NY Times article.

HisMommy414

The '59 looked as if it crumpled like paper! I am so glad I ride in my parents' made-in-2009 cars! The video that shows the view from inside the vehicle is scary. I mean, the Malibu looks a lot safer but both accident POVs are scary to see.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC