At her 2yr well-child visit...

snack

DD weighed in at 30 lbs. She was undressed and hadn't eaten in a few hours. She's currently in a TF and a BLVD (we returned the CA due to the financial constraints we had at the time) and now I feel like her RF days are numbered. I figure that with fall/winter clothing, shoes or boots, and a full stomach, she'll be quite close to 35 lbs in no time. I think we need a new seat... so the specifics are:

She's currently on the 2nd slots of her TF.
She rides in a 2005 CRV mainly. Alternate vehicles are a 2000 Galant and a 2007 Acura TL.

I don't like the MR very much. I've seen them in BRU and the covers are always falling off and it just plain doesn't appeal to me aesthetically.
We had the CA for a week or so and I liked it.. but no harness covers? How uncomfortable is that for children? Her BLVD leaves little red marks on her neck even with the covers.
And of course the RN.. which I think would be difficult to install in the CRV and/or too reclined to allow very much room for the passenger?

Help please. Am I nuts to be worried about her passing the TF's weight limit?
I could sell a seat or two to help fund the new seat.. so no worries about the cost. TIA!

Last edited:
ADS

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
i would probably try the radian just say i've tried it and if it doesn't work out....well then i guess you sadly move on the complete air...?

snack

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah.. I think it would be best to give the radian a go and see how it works out. Although someone on this board has a siggy pic of a RF RN in a CRV and she's mentioned how reclined it is. Won't hurt to try though..

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter doesn't mind the lack of harness covers on the CA at all. If she did, I would just put baby socks with the toes cut off on. :)

jujumum

The Target Flair My Ride is a lovely seat. Here is one with a BV for comparison:

picture.php

snack

Have you had any issues with the cover, juju? Or the harness adjuster for that matter? I know there was some talk about fraying.

DahliaRW

And personally, wait and keep weighing and save up. She'll probably put on a pound or two with winter clothes, but some kids can take forever to put on weight at this age. It could be a while until she hits 35. And new seats come out all the time or a great sale might come up on a seat you're considering in the meantime. And I think the CA is going to no longer be a BRU exclusive come the new year, so you may be able to get one cheaper then if you like it.

PHaley

Aren't the radians supposed to be a little easier to get an upright install with latch? if so having the new super latch would certainly be a benefit. I'd try the RN and if anything use it center if its still reclined too much for outboard and see if it puzzles between the two front seats. I think the RN/BLVD in one car and keep the TFs in the back-up car (she's over two so you may let her ff on rare occassion if moving the RN isn't an option, after she has definately maxed over 35#s but I bet you make it through winter and she'll be closer to 3)

Just wanted to say I understand your concern dgd1 is almost 4 and already 40# and dgd2 born 7/2007 recently weighed in at 30#! Their RNs and MA go to 33 so they're both ff :( I have dgd2 rf w/ me in EFTA and MA to 35 but will be looking for a good deal on an XTSL to hopefully get her to 4 rf with me... in other cars I just like to know its installed properly and used properly and I like that the RNs have the safe stop.

Elizabeths_Daddy

And personally, wait and keep weighing and save up. She'll probably put on a pound or two with winter clothes, but some kids can take forever to put on weight at this age. It could be a while until she hits 35. And new seats come out all the time or a great sale might come up on a seat you're considering in the meantime. And I think the CA is going to no longer be a BRU exclusive come the new year, so you may be able to get one cheaper then if you like it.

I could not agree more. My DD was 27lbs at her 2 year well check completely naked and here we are 6.5 months later and she is exactly 27lbs naked. That is after she has eaten me out of house and home!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My ds has been sitting at almost 30lbs on the nose for what seems like ages - probably a good 6 months anyways. I think it's pretty normal for kids to go in spurts, but in her age it's highly unlikely she'll just suddenly gain 5lbs.

I'd also expect her to make it through the winter before hitting 35lbs.

In terms of the CRV, I don't recall what year it was, but I've had a ff'ing Radian XT installed with seatbelt in one (outboard position) and it was a really easy install. Much easier than I expected it to be, that's for sure. I wouldn't anticipate any problems with a LATCH install in either direction - LATCH tends to be pretty easy with the Radian.

snack

Thank you all for your replies and advice!

I wasn't planning on purchasing the seat today or tomorrow, but I wanted to start doing my homework. I realize that at her age she could take a good long while to gain 5 lbs. However, with all the other variables considered: heavier clothing, shoes, full stomach, and possibly a wet diaper (she just started using the potty this past week :thumbsup:).. I just worry that she may be teetering very close. We don't have a scale here at home because, honestly, I'm just not ready to torture myself! :( 2 babies in as many years.. you get the picture. :p

Seems we'll be investing in a scale and weighing her more frequently. In the mean time, I'll be doing the research and trying seats in the car to see which best suits our needs.. and hoping for new seats to be released.

Thank you all again for taking the time to address my concerns. :)

DahliaRW

Aren't the radians supposed to be a little easier to get an upright install with latch? if so having the new super latch would certainly be a benefit.

I don't think it's necessarily easier to get it more upright rfing with latch. Just easier to install with latch in general, especially if your car has long belt stalks. But, unless you have one of the rare 40lb latch limit cars, you will be able to always use latch to install rfing. It's ffing that you might have to use the belt.

jujumum

Have you had any issues with the cover, juju? Or the harness adjuster for that matter? I know there was some talk about fraying.

I only had the Flair for a week to try out in my van, and didn't notice any cover issues at all. The pink/purple part is not stretchy, like some of the other style of MR covers that are stretchy all over. I think that helped with the stability.:)

armywife12

We have encountered the same problem. Caleb hit the 33lb weight limit on his Marathon before he turned 2. At his 2 yr appt, he was just over 33lbs and is still hovering around 33-34lbs at 25 months old. He'll soon hit the limits on his True Fit. We went with the MyRide that will be rear facing in my husband's Neon and got the Frontier for my van. When hubby deploys in Nov, Caleb will be rear facing in my van again in the MyRide. I'm not crazy about the CA and was worried the Radians wouldn't work in my van. We love the MyRide so far. We've had it for almost 2 months now and haven't had an issue with the harness fraying but the cover does slip off on the sides from time to time. It isn't a big deal but does get annoying...lol. Caleb is a big kid and he'll still be able to make it close to 3 yrs old rear facing in the MyRide

Mommy2Marcus

I own the MR from BRU in Spiral. It has not really given us any issues with the cover slipping off. It is VERY rare in fact that the cover comes off. So I think they have gotten better. I did notice a little fraying on the adjuster, but it was not much. I need to check it again.

Good Luck!

nevaehsmommy

My daughter put on a lot of weight between year 1 and 2, but has not gained more than a pound since then. Between year 1 and 2 she went up the growth curve from 15% to 75% and now is going back down the growth curve due to no weight gain. I would personally just wait and see. I bought the true fit thinking she was gonna outgrow the scenera any day and she still fits in it fine. Truth be told I spent a lot of money for nothing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC