Very big boy! What seat is best?

coleslawcat

I have a 33lb limit Marathon. My son just turned 1 last week and is 32 inches and 29 pounds. I want to keep him rear facing until at least 2. He's so big I'm not sure I will able to do it any longer than that. I can't imagine our Marathon will get him there. I thought perhaps the MyRide would be good since he's so heavy, but he's also very tall. He was off the charts for weight and right at 99% for height. My husband doesn't want to buy a new seat, but he's willing to in order to keep our boy RF to 2. We do have another seat, a Recaro Como, that my almost 3 year old daughter is using. It rear-faces to 35, but it's pink and I don't see her happily giving it up or my husband wanting to put our boy in a pink seat. I also doubt those 2 pounds will get us very far so it makes the most sense to just get a new seat.

ADS

Blondie87

Probably the newer Radians that RF to 40 lbs, the Complete Air, or the new Radian XTSL that RFs to 45 lbs.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Rear-facing longer is better, of course, but if you are truly only going to RF him until age 2, the My Ride will probably do the trick. My DD is about 39" and still has at least an inch of torso growth before she outgrows the seat RF. It's a nice seat, and DD and I have been very happy with it. :thumbsup:

On the other hand, if you think there's a chance you might RF him past two (start working on DH now ;)), you might want to go with a Radian instead. Current Radians RF until 40 lbs. and are a good amount taller than the My Ride. And in the next few weeks, Sunshine Kids is expected to release the "Super Latch" version of the Radian, and the Radian 80 SL and Radian XT SL will RF up to 45 lbs.

coleslawcat

I drive a 7 passenger 2008 Sienna.

My husband isn't opposed to rear-facing him longer than 2, I just wasn't sure I would be able to find a seat that could accomplish that considering how huge he is. At the rate he's going I worry he might hit 40 pounds pretty early. He was just hoping our Marathon would make it to 2 and if so he thought that would be good enough, but since it obviously isn't going to make it to 2, he's willing to buy a new seat to at least accomplish that. I can probably talk him into a Radian, especially since I have some time to try and hunt down the best deal. Does it have any install issues?

My daughter is FF now because she is 35 pounds and that was the best limit on seats back when we bought her convertible. At almost 3 she should be ok forward facing right?

romanoma

With a sienna you should have a place to install it successfully, there is a thread here that will tell you what cars and what seating positions will work for the radian.

I too would get the radian XTSL, I think that will get him to 2 and likely to 3. My nephew is 11 mo old and 29lbs, and that is the seat I am getting for him. It is expensive, but it has a very long lifespan, 8 yrs, and it has tall harness slots. If you have any other kids to pass it down to, you'll get your $$$ worth for sure!!!

for a great deal on this seat, go to babycatalog.com and use coupon code bcsv10 to get another 10% off.

rochelle

How about the Radian XTSL for your 35lb daughter to use rear facing until she outgrow the rearfacing limit of the seat, than your son use the car seat?

Spam

Austin was close to the same size, slightly taller. We also have a 33lb blvd. I tried the Myride.. it didn't work for us, and I don't love the Radian, so I'm just going to wait until he reaches 33lbs and then decide what to do. Weight gain slows down a lot after turning one usually. We have 35lb truefits as well, if he reaches 35lb before I feel ready to turn him, I'll likely look at another Radian.

DahliaRW

I have an '09 seven passenger Sienna and the radian was fine to install. But, it won't install much more upright of 45*. So if you think your ds would prefer to be more upright, it's not the seat for you. I had it both behind the driver and in the middle (in the captain's chairs) and it worked just fine. I also have found the complete air to be a pretty straight forward install in the captains chairs (with LATCH) and have installed it both with and without a pool noodle to adjust recline.

armywife12

Caleb was 32-33 inches at his one yr appt. He is now 25 months old and 37.5 inches tall. He is rear facing in the MyRide with tons of room left to go. He'll make it close to another year rear facing in it. I think the MyRide will get you to at least 2.5 yrs old rear facing, if not longer, so I'd go with that if you are ok with turning your child at that point. If you want one that fits longer, the Radians would be a better seat. I'm ok with forward facing at 2.5 yrs old though and I might be the odd one out on that...lol. I love the MyRide

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC