Tech classes

Michi

I really want to take a tech class, and my DH has given the approval if I could find a sitter....
I checked our 'local' schedule (the closest class is about 45 min. away), BUT the class is 5 days! (Tues- Sat) Is that common?
I am so bummed, because I was expecting 3 days, but 5? :(
Start Time End Time
Tue Feb 20 01:00 pm 4:30 pm
Wed Feb 21 08:00 am 4:00 pm
Thu Feb 22 08:00 am 4:30 pm
Fri Feb 23 08:00 am 4:30 pm
Sat Feb 24 08:00 am 1:00 pm

Also, what does it mean if a class is "controlled?"

ADS

scatterbunny

Yes, 5 days is pretty common. Usually it's 4 days of actual class and one day of a check-up event. They want you to actually put to use what you just learned to help cement the knowledge and give you lots of hands-on experience.

A controlled class is, I believe, one where you must be approved to sign up?

Lys

Senior Community Member
Yep it's a jam packed course! It takes that much time to go over all the material in the manual PLUS time to do "hands-on" activities with the seats.
I had to wait till the kids were out of school for the summer and I had to go to SC to take the course (I live in NC)
My mom lives in SC, so I just stayed the week with her.
And I'm glad I did stay with her too. It was alot of re-reading at night after the class. I could have never done it at home with my kids around.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I'm taking one this month... it's on thursdays from 8-5, 4 of them in a row... i have to travel and hour each way to get there an back, not to bad...

flipper68

Senior Community Member
You can look for classes at the NHTSA or the Safe Kids website. Look for info on 'technician' or 'certification.'

The class is a 32 hour course, plus a check up event (another day) - 5 days.

Last edited:

nisi

Senior Community Member
Since you're in WI, you can also get the class schedule here
http://www.wcpsa.com/Certification.htm

Controlled classes mean that they don't want "just anyone" to register on line. You'll probably have to call to register and I believe they still want you to send in the registration form, downloadable here http://www.wcpsa.com/Downloads/CPS_Certification_Registration_Form.pdf. I'd call either your nearest SafeKids coordinator or the state training administrator (her name is Kareen, she's very nice, her contact info is at the bottom of the reg. form). Explain that you want to take the class and they'll tell you what to do from there. They'll probably think you're an overzealous parent and try to refer you to the nearest fitting station first ;) , but after that it's all good.

Four day classes are the norm. Looks like yours is 3 full days and 2 half days, so that sounds about right. Between the review and the test and the final check up event, the actual classroom portion is closer to 3 days.

I took the class as "just a parent" 3 years ago and though some things have changed, most of the same instructors, etc. will be running it. If you have questions or want to chat about it, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC