Quite impressed with the thrift store

selinajean

The big thrift shop in town is run by all of the churches. They have an auction there a couple of times a year for antiques and nice items that are donated so I went down yesterday to check that out. Every time that I am there I notice really ratty looking car seats out front with all of the baby items.
There was a booster seat there yesterday, one of the backless ones with the abdominal shield. I decided to say something about it but before I did I wanted to see what the actual DOM was on this thing! I was poking around, looking for a sticker and a man that volunteers there came over. He said, "I haven't checked those ones yet". I guess people just plop their baby items in with the stuff for sale but the volunteers do actually come and check the items before they can be sold. He said there is another man that knows all of the years/expiries and he checks that part of it. The man that I was talking to sorts them for this other man to check. We looked over them together and decided that the three that were there needed to visit the dumpster.
I was getting disheartened by all of the old seats but am glad to learn that they check them and do get rid of them if they are too old or missing parts.

ADS

selinajean

That's good. Now see if you can convince them it's a liability to sell seats at all... ;)

Yeah, that's a tough argument. If $2 is all someone can afford I would rather see them buy a used seat than not use one at all....or have to scavenge at the dump for the ones that have been thrown out.

Qarin

People who can only afford $2 no doubt (really) qualify for programs which will help them get a seat. The more common issue is people who are only willing to pay $2 (and why pay more if you can find a seat for two bucks?), and I'd rather they not find that they could buy any seat at all for that so they have to at least try to reevaluate their spending priorities.

selinajean

People who can only afford $2 no doubt (really) qualify for programs which will help them get a seat. The more common issue is people who are only willing to pay $2 (and why pay more if you can find a seat for two bucks?), and I'd rather they not find that they could buy any seat at all for that so they have to at least try to reevaluate their spending priorities.

I'd be interested to hear about government funding on car seats actually. The local resource centre here for families in need gets their car seats off of freecycle so I don't see how that is any different.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That was an American reply. There aren't really any programs in Canada. The US does have a few ways for lower income individuals to obtain seats.

-Nicole.

Qarin

Someday I'll learn to notice what forum I'm responding in. :whistle:

(but I'm really surprised that there isn't help up there. Not that I actually know there's always help here, but it's the impression I have.) (And I'm shocked and saddened to hear the freecycle reference. :( )

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
CPS isn't really all that valued by our government agencies here.. Most techs I know have paid at least $200 to become certified, are never paid, etc.. Carseats are twice as expensive here, and if you can't afford one you pick one up at the side of the road waiting for trash :(

-Nicole.

selinajean

That was an American reply. There aren't really any programs in Canada. The US does have a few ways for lower income individuals to obtain seats.

-Nicole.

Someday I'll learn to notice what forum I'm responding in. :whistle:

(but I'm really surprised that there isn't help up there. Not that I actually know there's always help here, but it's the impression I have.) (And I'm shocked and saddened to hear the freecycle reference. :( )

CPS isn't really all that valued by our government agencies here.. Most techs I know have paid at least $200 to become certified, are never paid, etc.. Carseats are twice as expensive here, and if you can't afford one you pick one up at the side of the road waiting for trash :(

-Nicole.

This is what I thought. That's why I'm really just happy that they are checking the seats at all before selling them. I know that for a lot of people, it's the only option. The cost of living here is insanely high and there are a lot of very poor people. Also a lot of working class people that make enough to just be above all of those assistance levels. Unfortunately with the cost of rent, utilities, transport, groceries, etc there is absolutely no extra money left over. There's no debate over whether a new or used seat is better....we all know the answer to that. But if someone must have a used car seat, I'm just hoping that we can do our best to make sure that it is safe.
I can't wait to take my (BC version) CPST course next month. Then I will be volunteering at all of the thrift shops and family agencies to educate staff. We currently don't have a CPST in town so I'm really looking forward to helping out where I can.

Oh, I wanted to add to that our town is extra-speshul. lol. We don't have city-wide garbage services. Everything is privatized and a paid service. So in order to dispose of an old car seat, people have to pay to take it to the dump or have it picked up. This is why so many old seats end up at the thrift shop. I want to see if the city will host a car seat smash-up day where people can bring their old seats and a local construction company can go nuts on them with the jackhammers! Then they can be dumped for free. I think it would be fun.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC