40 or 45lb radian?

Melodiya99

Dd is almost 3, but has a connective tissue disorder, so I do want to keep her rf as long as possible. But she is a tall and thin one, so I'm not sure what would be best. She currently goes between 31-33lbs in a tf. She's just shy of 42" tall. She was a bit wiggly when I measured, but I think her torso is about 14.5" with a longer neck and head, so in the tf, her head hits right at the top of the words in the headrest.

Obviously, I could get a great deal on a 40lb radian right now, but if the sl would last her longer, I'll get that as she gets closer to 35lbs. I guess I'm just not sure how long the radian will last her heightwise...if she'd outgrow it by height before 40lbs anyways, I might as well save my money, kwim? What do you all think?

ADS

sunnydayz

Also on BabyCatalog sign up for their 45 day trial membership for $10 and get an additional $25 off the seat. Total for the XT SL using coupon code and the trial membership is $216.50!

Melodiya99

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't use the wings on the xt rear-facing, can you? Since I'm mainly using the seat rf (and it can and probably will be passed down) I was thinking I'd just go for the ra65 for the 40lb version, which would only be around $150 with the coupons. Or possibly get the 80sl. Now if the wings had a benefit rf, I would totally consider it...

swtgi1982

If your child is on the lighter side no the 45 lb RF limit is not worth it and they probably will outgrow it by height before weight.

DahliaRW

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't use the wings on the xt rear-facing, can you? Since I'm mainly using the seat rf (and it can and probably will be passed down) I was thinking I'd just go for the ra65 for the 40lb version, which would only be around $150 with the coupons. Or possibly get the 80sl. Now if the wings had a benefit rf, I would totally consider it...

You can use them rfing, but they don't go low enough for the bottom two shoulder slots if I remember right (and SK says not to use them with those harness positions, but if they do end up coming low enough it's a parental decision). If you think after the rfing limit is reached you'll put your LO in it ffing at all, I would get the wings.

Northriver

Our Radian is 33# RF and I never actually used it RF.

My dd is 4.5 years, 42" and 35#. Give or take.

FF, she has tons of room in the radian and when I'm looking at it installed FF, it *looks* liked she'd have tons of room RF. However, with the newer ones at 40 &45#, I installed RF just to see, and with the steep angle, I was very surprised to find that she doesn't have nearly as much room RF as I expected because of the angle of the seat.

Our kids are about the same size and I just can't imagine that my DD would outgrow the Radin RF by weight. I really don't think you need the 45# RF. Hope that helps!

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i would think at least the 40lb is worth it my 48lb 46 in tall 4yo would still fit rfing with plenty of room to grow.
although the SL's have awesome patterns :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC