need help selecting a convertible for my twins

D

dapjir

I just found this website and I'm amazed by the amount of good information. I need to buy convertible car seats for my 8 month old twins. Right now we have the Graco SnugRide. We have a Subaru Forester 04. I was thinking maybe the Fisher Price Safe Voyage or the Safety 1st Intera, but I've read so many good things about the Marathon... the problem is that it's so expensive. I'll probably have to buy online since I haven't found any of them in my area so I won't be able to try them before buying and shipping will add to the cost.
I'm worried about the money but I live in a place where people drive like nuts so safety is my main concern. Help! Please!!!
Thanks!!!

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
The fisher price safe voyage deluxe (FPSVD) is the same shell as the marathon (MA) with a few differences:

The FPSVD only goes to 55lbs the MA 65lbs
The FPSVD does not tether rearfacing (rf), the MA does

Safety wise they are the same seat shell just the MA has more bells and whistles and are there for just as safe.

I am sure someone else will pipe in soon!

scatterbunny

How old are the babies? How big and heavy?

The Britax seats fit in a wide variety of small vehicles (including the Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire and even a Porsche 911 :eek: ) because their design allows them to be installed pretty darn upright for older babies with good head control. They can also be tethered rear-facing to achieve a good recline and then braced against the front seat(s).

Most kids will outgrow the Marathon and Fisher Price Safe Voyage at about 45-55 pounds by height (shoulders over top slots), so the lower weight limit of the Safe Voyage Deluxe is not a concern for most parents.

The rear-facing tether and built-in lockoffs may be features you want, though. Installing a rear-facing seat with seatbelts that lock at the shoulder (I think your Subaru's belts lock this way) can sometimes cause a rear-facing seat to tip as the shoulderbelt gets tighter and tighter. A locking clip is the usual "fix" for this, but the built-in lockoffs are usually much easier.

The rear-facing tether is great for preventing the seat from rebounding (also called cocooning) and also helping achieve the desired recline level.

I'd definitely go with a Britax Marathon, Boulevard (same as Marathon but with true side impact protection via headwings and also a harness height knob adjuster) or a Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. These will be the easiest seats to fit in small spaces that will give you the most "bang for your buck" because they will last until kids are 4-6 years old and 45-55 pounds, usually old enough and mature enough to use a booster seat properly at all times.

The 40 pound weight limit convertibles are usually outgrown by height before 40 pounds, and at about 2-4 years old, depending on the seat. So parents either have to buy another harnessed seat at that point or put a too-young/too-small/too-immature child into a booster seat.

markf1971

Senior Community Member
IMO actually the Radian 65 is the best bang for the buck. The weight limit is 65# like the big Birtaxs, but the top shoulder slot is higher, which means you can use it longer. Also, they are cheaper than the Britaxs. The Radian can be found online for $180 w/no tax & free shipping. Plus the Radian has a narrow footprint which will more easily accomodate 3 across or side by side seats. The Radian is also much easier for a child to get in and out of themselves. The Radian is going to be my next purchase when DD outgrows her Scenera/Touriva/AOE that she is currently using. If the Radian is more that you can you can afford right now, then the Scenera would be an economical option at only about $40 at Wal*Mart, then you could get a higher weight limit seat latter.

Check out the review of the Radian
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=6263

You may also want to take a look at the manufacturer's web-site for info on the Radian.
http://www.skjp.com/products/index.php?v=detail&cid=5&name=Radian&id=112

HTH! :)

didymama

my mom has a forester and there is NO way that it could Rf in her car because of the height. i can just about make it in my volvo, but a forester-i really don't think so. i have issues with a snugride in that car. doable, but not easy. try everything before you buy.
IMO actually the Radian 65 is the best bang for the buck. The weight limit is 65# like the big Birtaxs, but the top shoulder slot is higher, which means you can use it longer. Also, they are cheaper than the Britaxs. The Radian can be found online for $180 w/no tax & free shipping. Plus the Radian has a narrow footprint which will more easily accomodate 3 across or side by side seats. The Radian is also much easier for a child to get in and out of themselves. The Radian is going to be my next purchase when DD outgrows her Scenera/Touriva/AOE that she is currently using. If the Radian is more that you can you can afford right now, then the Scenera would be an economical option at only about $40 at Wal*Mart, then you could get a higher weight limit seat latter.

Check out the review of the Radian
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=6263

You may also want to take a look at the manufacturer's web-site for info on the Radian.
http://www.skjp.com/products/index.php?v=detail&cid=5&name=Radian&id=112

HTH! :)

D

dapjir

Thanks for all the great advice! :)
I won't consider the Radian if it won't fit the Forester. We found a TRU that has the FPSVD and it fits. We also saw the Marathon in another store but the price is much higher than through the web so we'll see...
I almost forgot! The kids are almost 8 months old, 16/17 pounds and 27/28 inches tall- long and skinny!

skipspin

I have a Radian and while it's a GREAT seat and my favorite Forward-facing seat for my 3.5 yr old daughter right now it isn't a PERFECT seat. It takes up more front-back room when RFing than a MA/FP because it can't be adjusted as upright. Remembering the Subaru's that I have installed in that's probably not a good thing.

Yes, a Radian can last you slightly longer (maybe a little over a year?) forward-facing, but in your situation one of the other seats is probably better and will install easier in a variety of vehicles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC