RFing & carsickness?

Michi

I had a parent ask me what to do about kids who get carsick riding rear-facing.

I have never personally had to deal with this issue, so I wanted to see what others have done when faced with this.

ADS

canmom

I have found with my son it isn't which way he is facing but the length of time spent in the car. Anymore than an hour and he may get sick.

Shaunam

I guess it would depend on the situation and the severity. If it only happens one out of every 15 times in the car, I'd just deal with it. If we're talking every single time, I'd consider ff'ing IF that actually helped a lot. If it only happens during long car rides, I'd rf most of the time and only ff when necessary. If the child were under 2, I'd try ginger lollipops before going in the car to see if that helped. Or a few other safe motion sickness remedies. I wouldn't just ff after the child puked a few times and claim they had carsickness ya know?

Lea_Ontario

I had a parent ask me what to do about kids who get carsick riding rear-facing.

I have never personally had to deal with this issue, so I wanted to see what others have done when faced with this.

How old is this child ?

What length of trip makes the child sick ?

Is this carsickness just FEELING ill, or actual puking ?

NannyMom

I'm curious here too. I talked to a Mom who was waiting for her 16 month old to hit 20 pounds (she was 18) to go FF. DD hated the carseat (KF) and always cried. I suggested a more upright convertible. They bought a 3 in 1 (not my suggested seats) and said she threw up every ride. When FF itt wasnt as bad. They also had to make sure she didnt eat or drink 30 mins before they went anywhere.

I just didnt know what to tell her :(

Michi

Actually, this parent has older children....

I had posted some info about ERF on my Facebook page, and she posted a reply "What about kids who get carsick." (Because her kids apparently did when they were younger)

I just posted that ERF is safest - and to make sure that the child is as comfortable as possible ( hydrated, fresh air.)
I know that some peds say it can be a balance/inner ear thing, so get the child checked out for that...and that if it is severe, anti nausea meds may help.

Other than that.... :confused: I don't know what else to say.

Lea_Ontario

We went through a phase - several months to a year or so - where we had to give Bug a 1/2 dose of Benedryl or Gravol before every car trip longer than about 5 minutes.

She was RF.

RF had NOTHING to do with her being carsick.

From a clean-up perspective, RF was good because everything was 'contained' - we'd lay a towel or two over her, clipped around the seat kind of like a giant bib. Keep water, baby wipes, change of clothes, febreeze, etc in the trunk.

Limit driving - we walked everywhere it was feasible to avoid having her in the car.

Once she was past that point (this was, for us, something that started while she was very sick with a nasty scary virus and was still becoming sick while her body was healing after it) we've had no further problems.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC