new here

OnTheBrink

Hello all! I am new here and already learning so much!

A little about me:
I'm Nancy (31), mom to Emma (5 1/2) and John (2). We live in Lakeland, Florida (between Tampa and Orlando). I am a stay at home mom. My husband, Rob, is a theology teacher and chaplain at an Episcopal college prep school.

I became a bit obsessed with carseats and car safety after my first husband (Emma's birth dad) was killed in a car accident. (Emma was 5 months old.) I immediately ditched the flimsy infant seat and bought 3 Roundabouts - one for me, one for my mom, one for my sister.

Now, John is in a Roundabout and Emma is in a Marathon. He is about to move up to the top strap setting. She is a little over an inch from her shoulders being at the top slot. I have been freaking out a bit about that - not sure what to get her next. (I know I want a 5 point harness.) I realize that inch or so could take quite a while, but I like to be prepared.

Anyway - thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge and information. What a wonderful resource this is!

ADS

Lys

Senior Community Member
Hi Nancy,
Welcome to the board.
I have family in both Orlando (Sanford) and Tampa.
We are planning to move to Tampa when DH retires from the military in about 4 years.

skipspin

Welcome! Glad to have someone else from FL!

If you ever need your seat checked let me know. I'm "close" enough and am in Lakeland every once in a while!

BrookeSLP

Welcome! Glad you are here! I have 4 yo, 2 yo and 2 month old, all in Marathons. I too am pondering the next step for my 4 yo.

Best wishes on your search.

scatterbunny

Welcome to the board, Nancy! :) I hope you find answers to your questions, and also hope you enjoy your time here. This site is a wealth of wonderful information, as well as a FUN place to be. :D

Splash

Welcome to the board! I'm Estelle, my partner and I (and our son Charlie) live in St. Pete. We're over in Lakeland (well, Auburndale) a lot to see my grandmother. I was also a student at Santa Fe Catholic for a few days (I'm sure your husband knows that one!), before my dad realized that it was insane to drive that far (we lived in Plant City and he worked in Tampa at the time). Then he briefly picked Lakeland Christian before realizing that was just as insane... and I ended up at a school in Valrico. Apparently there were no schools in Tampa???

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
Welcome!

I grew up in Orlando (my dad was born in Orlando 65 years ago and my mom was born in Florida too...TRUE Floridians!) but moved West for college and still live out here. We visit often since my family all still lives in the Orlando area.

My dh is from California, but lived in the Tampa area for a couple years. He loves Lakeland and would love to live there. He would love to go to work for Publix/Publix vendor.

Splash

Welcome!

I grew up in Orlando (my dad was born in Orlando 65 years ago and my mom was born in Florida too...TRUE Floridians!) but moved West for college and still live out here. We visit often since my family all still lives in the Orlando area.

My dh is from California, but lived in the Tampa area for a couple years. He loves Lakeland and would love to live there. He would love to go to work for Publix/Publix vendor.

I want to work for Publix! It is consistently rated one of the best companies to work for. I have a cousin who lives in Wisconsin but contracts for Publix, and he loves it. You know that big birthday cake water tower they have? My grandpa was one of the designers for it. I still go out of my way when I am out there to drive by it, just because it makes me happy to see it. He used to tell me he made it for my birthday.

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
That's sweet, Splash! My dh works in the grocery industry (has worked for Safeway and Albertsons so far and now works for a vendor and his teams call on Safeway, Albertsons..now Supervalu, etc.) Publix is TOO good of a company to work for...they rarely have openings that dh wants!

Splash

Hey, I've got connections. Our favorite cashier knows AJ well enough to get the manager to give Charlie a Mylar balloon instead of the normal ones (latex). I mean, that must make us special, right? Surely I can talk to someone to get him a job. ;)
I love Publix. I MISSED Publix when I lived up north. We had Lunds and Byerly's which were super upscale very posh grocery stores, and i liked them a lot, but I still missed Publix. Funny that I shopped in a carpeted grocery with chandeliers and personal shopper assistants, and yet I still missed Publix, which really is just another grocery store! I rarely go to Albertsons, and I NEVER go to Winn Dixie (mentally spraying myself with Lysol here), I've been in Kash and Karry (now Sweetbay) a handful of times... I'm just a Publix girl. I love their organic section, I love their special ordering, their prices, their policies... I just love Publix!

Okay... must stop raving about a grocery store.

My grandmother has had the same bag boy for several years now. She only goes when he's scheduled to work. He's not a boy, he's an elderly guy (not as old as her though). Tipping is against policy, and she always tried and he would refuse it. So she started just leaving $5 in the cart for him. After a few times he started putting $5 back in her bags every week. This has been going on for years but neither one will give up!

OnTheBrink

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Splash - When were you at Santa Fe? I graduated from there in 1994, my sister in 1995 and my brother in 1999.

Lakeland is a great place to live! I moved here from Miami. That took some adjustment time (loved Miami so much), but now I know that I'm home!

bp2002

Welcome! I'm in Orlando, so not too far away! I can only imagine the adjustment from Miami tho.. very different cities!!

Lauren

jamesmommy

Hi there,

Welcome to the board. I am new here too, and let me tell you in advance......It is very addictive :) It is also very informative.

I live in the Orlando area as well, after moving here 2 years ago from the Ft. Lauderdale area. We love it here.

Amie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC