When to start booster training and what booster to get

teacher01

My ds is 4 1/2 and is in a dc in main car, regent in hubby's car, and dc in the car of the person who picks him up from school. He is 36.6 lbs and 42" tall. He has grown like 2 inches in the past couple of months. I am afraid that he is going to outgrow the dc before the end of the year, and I really don't want to buy 2 more HWH seats when he is only in Sheila's car a couple of blocks everyday. After this year, she will no longer be picking him up. He will ride the bus 2 blocks from his elementary school to the high school where I teach. We will probably get a regent when he outgrows the dc for my car, but what should I do for Sheila's car? I am concerned bc he is not 40 lbs, but at the rate he gains weight, it may be several years before he gets there. He was 35 lbs all last year...he is gaining about a lbs a year.

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd get a Turbo or Vivo and wait until he has definitely outgrown the Decathlon - my own ds is 4Y 8M and I haven't put him in a booster at all because he is only 38 pounds - and he won't go in a booster until he is a solid 40 pounds (and I only weigh them in the mornings before eating and after using the bathroom wearing only undies).

Raegansmom4

I agree - wait until the DC is outgrown and then get a Turbobooster. The TB especially if it is for rare, shorter trips since it's much cheaper. (I'm one to hate having a spendy spare)

teacher01

Thanks....I really hate the idea of him in a booster at all, and I am hoping that we make it until the end of the year in the dc, but I do need to have a back-up plan. :)

Thanks....I really hate the idea of him in a booster at all, and I am hoping that we make it until the end of the year in the dc, but I do need to have a back-up plan. :)
One option you might want to check out then is the RideSafer Travel Vest. A bit more secure than a booster, very portable, no expiry date, great for 3-across set ups, and a very handy back-up plan IMO (mine sits between my almost-8YO twin DDs' HBBs in the back of my '97 Honda Civic, ready for whenever I need to give one of their classmates a ride). A bit more work to buckle and I wouldn't choose it as a main day-to-day-and-long-trips restraint (DD's are much more comfy in their HBBs) but it definitely fills its niche well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC