just curious...anyone ever have a 31" 11 month old?

aisraeltax

i am never good at predicting the future, but i am about to go play car seat swap/return/ purchase again and before i do that, i want to get some ppl's perspective that have had tall kids.

my ds4 is 31 inches at 11 months.

did you ever have a kid that height (i realize its more torso height).

if you did, how long were you able to keep them RF'ing?

my 3.10 year old is 36.5 lbs. and 38 inches and will make it past his 4th birthday...but im thinking that ds4 may not be able to make it.

before i return a 40lb. Radian XT and buy a new Radian XTSL, i want to consider whether ds4 has a chance in H*ll of staying RF'ing as long as ds3?

thanks for participating in my crazy future predictions! lol!

ADS

Shaunam

DS was that tall at a year old and in today's seats, he could easily still be rf'ing at 4 1/2 and 43" with a good-sized torso. He has enough room in the radian rf'ing (siggy pic is deceiving) that he would last past 40 lbs, maybe to 45.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At her 9 month checkup, my youngest measured 31-32, I think. So, taller, and half torso.

She's slowed down some, as all kids do at about age 1 1/2, and I expect another slowdown soon.

She still has OODLES of room over her head in the Radian. OODLES. Especially when it is at a more upright angle. Tons of room in the Radian.

My 3 1/2 year old is 97th %tile for height, with a long torso and long neck. 37-ish lbs. Still has an inch and a half or so to grow in the torso and head before outgrowing the Radian, and that's when it's at 45 degrees. More than that when it's more upright-- more like 2 1/2 inches.

Jennifer mom to my 7

My dd was 32.5 inches (and 22 pounds) at her 1 year checkup. Also long torsoed. She made it to 25 months rear facing in a 33 pound decathlon at 36.5 inches 32.5 pounds or so. Now, at almost 4 (next week!) she is 42 inches, 42 pounds, top slots of the nautilus, and outgrew the decathlon by height in January.

Yoshi

It was a LONG time ago (1990- wayyyy before rearfacing past 1 yr) but my DS was 32" at his 1 yr checkup (and only 22 lbs, LOL, my skinny bean) so I have no idea what his torso height was. :confused:
But by age 2, he was 36", by age 3, he was 38.25", and at age 5, he was 43.5". So you may have no problem RF to age 4 or so once your son grows some legs:p
At age 20, he is now 5'11" and 130 lbs. Still a skinny bean, LOL!

melniemi

DD1 was 32" and 23#s at her 1 yr check up. She outgrew her marathon rearfacing by weight at 2y 7m (33#s). Still had room above her head, though. I bet she would've made it at least another year rfing by height. And she was really chunky!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
My DD2 was also about 32" and 22 lbs. at her first birthday, and she outgrew her SafeSeat 1 infant seat by height a couple of weeks before her first birthday due to her long torso. She outgrew her Blvd. RFing by weight at 33 lbs. around age 2.5 and still had a tad more room left to RF heightwise at that point. She maxed out her Como and Signo's RF 35 lb. weight limit around 33 or 34 months, and is still using the Signo FF with some room left to grow heightwise at age 4 and 42" tall. She also needs to use the top slots in our Radian80 FF with a bit of growing room left. It's an older Radian80 with the 33 lb. RF limit so no ERFing potential left in it anymore for her, although she might just fit in it RFing heightwise depending on how upright I could get it installed RF. Hope this gives you some idea of what to expect, although your mileage may vary depending on growth patterns. :)

armywife12

Caleb was around 32-33 inches at a yr old. He is 25 months now and about 37.5 inches tall. He still fits rear facing in his MyRide and True Fit. Height wise, he still had room in his Marathon to rear face but he hit the 33lb weight limit it had for rear facing. He'll soon hit the weight limit on the True Fit too since he is hovering between 33-34lbs. He'll probably be able to stay rear facing in his Myride to at least 3 yrs old though

aisraeltax

thanks everyone!

It was a LONG time ago (1990- wayyyy before rearfacing past 1 yr) but my DS was 32" at his 1 yr checkup (and only 22 lbs, LOL, my skinny bean) so I have no idea what his torso height was. :confused:
But by age 2, he was 36", by age 3, he was 38.25", and at age 5, he was 43.5". So you may have no problem RF to age 4 or so once your son grows some legs:p
At age 20, he is now 5'11" and 130 lbs. Still a skinny bean, LOL!

that is almost exactly ds4's stats....31 inches and 22 lbs..he's super skinny.

i was thinking he would grow insanely tall but my 19 year old is 6'3 and was only 21 inches at birth (ds4 was 23 inches at birth). so, i guess this size is no indication of how tall he may actually get. taller than 6'3 is scarey! lol!

TiaxMarie

At her 18 month check, my dd was 36" (100%) and 25lbs(75%). At a year she was about 33", and she's still got plenty of room in both the marathon and true fit.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
thanks everyone!

that is almost exactly ds4's stats....31 inches and 22 lbs..he's super skinny.

i ol!

LOL...um....dd is 30 inches and 20 lbs, so I can picture what you are saying...
DD was about that at a year. Her growth did slow down, but not as soon as people said.....but honestly, for the last 18 months or so (she just tuirned 5), her torso has been the same, right at 16 inches, which would allow her to rearface in about any ERF convertible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC