IF I become a tech

my3girls

I've been obsessed with carseats for a little over 2 years now. My dd outgrew the Graco CS @ 24 months and I was so confused, "the quest" began. My friends (2 - 4 people) know I'm a carseat nut. One lets me help her install seats and pick them out (her baby's almost ready for a convertible and she promised me she would keep him RF until he's 2! YAY!!) And another is preg, but will let me help her install a baby bucket when she gets one.

So... in the near future I will be able to take the tech test (as long as it fits in my schedule) I have had some contact with our local SafeKids rep and she knows of my obsession (I had to turn in a tech spewing incorrect info to a mom group I belong to, about 20 women) But I'm just nervous about becoming a tech! Pretty much the only time I come into contact with incorrectly harnessed kids is the WM parking lot. My town is pretty small, I only know of 1 carseat check here in the last 2 years. I'm not sure if becoming a tech will make my life more or less peaceful. Today I saw a FF 6-9 (?) month old, no way was he 1, I feel like if I was a tech I would feel even worse about seeing something like this. I know now that it's wrong, but if I'm a tech I would feel more responsibility. But then do you techs ever approach people on the street and offer to help?

I guess I'm just looking for your opinions on it all. How often do you get re-certified? Is there any fee? Can you offer any advice at all? I'm just a SAHM with VERY few friends, I do go to one of the largest churches in our town, but don't know about doing somethin like sending out a flier (once I'm certified) that I can help them. I was telling my dh, probably about less than 25% of parents want help with carseat installs, but IF you educated 100% of parents only about 3% would choose to (say) FF a 7 month old, KWIM? I'm in a VERY rambling mood.... SORRY!.... anyone have any comments to help me? THANK YOU VERY MUCH IF YOU MADE IT TO THE END!! :eek:

ADS

Dolly

i dont know what a tech is, do you have a link to a page with info about tech?

Out of what you writing it seems very interresting. Absolutley my kind of thing I think;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Dolly said:
i dont know what a tech is, do you have a link to a page with info about tech?
From the SafeKids National Standardized Child Passenger Safety Training Program website:
  • The National Standardized Child Passenger Safety Training Program certifies individuals as child passenger safety technicians and instructors. Tens of thousands of individuals have been certified as since the program began in 1997. CPS technicians and instructors put their knowledge to work through a variety of activities, including child safety seat checks where parents and caregivers receive education and hands-on assistance with the proper use of child restraint systems and safety belts.
CPSTechnician Finder

One of the most important things (personally) that I gained from the course which could not be learned here was how to effectively discuss CPSafety issues with parents face-to-face + when not to (for my own family's safety) :eek: That last bit took a bit more time to really "sink in", but now I leave only business cards/brochures on windshields or at most try to merely fit my certification into normal chitchat & hope the parent asks for help -- unsolocitied advice is reserved only for those times when I'd also call 911, but I usually call 911 instead of giving unsolicited advice because some people are just CRAZY! You never know how a seemingly sane person will react (from telling the police you harassed them to looking up your home address, etc.) *SIGH*

I love being a CPST, though & am willing to do everything I can to maintain my certification even through the various obstacles (finances, time, frustration, etc.)

Dolly

That sounds great!! I wish they would have some thing like thet in Norway..

Here we dont get info about car safety if we dont want it and know what to look for.

I think it is hard aswell to talk to my friends about this, especally those who know what i mean about RF/FF and turns the child ff for no other reason then it is easyer.

I always show my friends this video before they are buying child seat.
http://atvs.vg.no/player/player.php?id=554

advertising first..

it sometimes help but some says, it wont happen to me...:( but this video says more than 1000 words

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ah, yes -- the Maginal Thinking.... *SIGH* We do our best, but even those who want the advice often don't take it :confused: :(

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Don't stress about it. You can't save the world - or even your little corner, but you CAN help keep your family and friends safer. As far as your responsibility, it's as much as you want it to be.

I seldom/never help people I see in the parking lot. I have asked people if they knew that their seat had been recalled or expired for a really bad seat. . .(FP T shields, etc.)

In the car seat aisle, I'll add my two cents and state that I'm a tech.

Occasionally, I've asked about specific vehicles I see (the pizza delivery guy had an older FF seat with the harness still in bottom slots. A car parked in the school parking lot had a FF seat w/the LATCH through the RF slots - Never found the owner but was teased by teacher friend that I was a "stalker." The sister of one of the teachers is also a tech, so she knew I was obsessed in a good way).

Also as a tech, YOU can set up check up events or a fitting station in your area, and work with daycares, parent groups, and retail managers to educate families about CPS.

Being a tech is about an educator, not a cop. If you find people willing to learn (ie - when they're shopping for a seat vs. USING it), you'll be successful.

Good luck. I look forward to having you join the ranks.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Being a CPST is about education, not policing -- so true.... I wish more people who need the educating understood that "seatchecks" do NOT = tickets! (Leila's old school was unwilling to cooperate with me on a free event during a fundraiser for fear it would scare people away *UGH*)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC