NHTSA 2006 Child Safety Seat Ease of Use Ratings

drey

Has anybody seen this listing? What do you think of the results posted? My Marathon only scored a "B", while the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 scored an "A"??? :confused:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cps/cssrating/

Criteria for the ratings (from the FAQs):
  • Whether the restraint is pre-assembled or requires assembly after purchase.
  • Clarity of the labeling attached to the restraint.
  • Clarity of the written instructions on the restraint’s proper use.
  • Ease of securing a child correctly in the restraint.
  • Whether the seat has features that make it easier to install in a vehicle.

I guess ease of actual installation doesn't count towards "ease of use"... :rolleyes:

ADS

twokidstwodogs

I know nothing about the EB seat, but I must say, I do find my Roundabout (A grade) easier to install and use than my Marathon. A C for labels, though. I wonder why.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It must not (installation count towards ease of use)...the cosco caress is utterly impossible for anyone to install in any car, but it got an A.

These ratings come out every year, and most of us scoff at them ;) (the labeling on Britaxes? They follow the FMVSS 213 standards down to the letter, yet get poor ratings by the 'testers'? Is this a prime example of our government's right hand not knowing what it's left hand is doing?)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The crash tests are at least done in a controlled environment based on exact criteria. While in need of an update, perhaps, they are mostly objective. The ease-of-use ratings have more subjectivity and don't seem to correlate well with personal experiences from many technicans and parents. I don't think either one is gospel, but the crash tests have the added advantage that their results have correlated to real life fatality statistics.

http://www.car-safety.org/guide.html#cr

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC