Radian FF minimum limits ever gonna change?

obamamama

I wonder (and I apologize if this has been asked before) why SK lists the Radian products as FF 22-80lbs. If they are now offering those seats to Rf up to 40lbs (and in some cases new seats at 45lbs) why do they still allow using the seat FF at 22lbs. I mean, yes, it would defer some people from buying their products...
BUT, since a lot of people like "us" use their seats and won't use them FF for a child under that 35-45lbs anyways, why don't they start saying that it can't be done under that weight.
Would people not pay anymore attention to that warning then they do to anyother seat? I think it would be beneficial-- I mean some parents would actually follow the directions, right?
Right?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I think you run into the problem of differently sized kids. My ds is going to be 2 years old in 3 months, and barely weighs 20 pounds. following his curve, I see him hitting about 2.5 before he's 22 pounds. As opposed to dd, who was 22 pounds at 4 months old.
and sadly, I don't see it deterring someone who is determined to FF...if they have "1 and 20" emblazoned in their mind, they are not going to care if an individual seat says 22 or 25 or 30. Dorel seats have a 22 lb ffing limit, how many barely 1 yo/20 lbers do we see in AOe's,?? eleventy billion? Judi - how many parents have you had to try and discourage from buying a frontier for their 1 year old, under 25 lb kid, hmmm?? And how many kids do we see who don't even meet the ridiculous 3yo/30 lb or 4/40backless minimums of turbos??
I think the parents who want to do what's best are going to do it, regardless of the laws or labelling. And parents who don't...aren't.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I wonder this too about the new higher weight limit seats. Why still start at 22#. You'll never convince me a 22# child would be too tall for those seats etc. Why not start at 30# instead?

fyrfightermomma

For the simple reasons that kids come in all shapes and sizes. My daughter was 24.5 lbs on her 4th birthday but was 41" tall. I had already turned her FFing by that point. Had there been a higher limit, say even 30 lbs, she could not sit in a forward facing seat until probably age 6-7 which is not practical. There are some littles out there who need lower weight minimum seats, like a 22lb forward facing limit or a 30 lb booster. Even the 25 lb limit on the Frontier sucked for us. I had to use it against manufacturers advice. But she was 4 freaking years old!

ETA: By her 4th birthday at 41" and 24 lbs she had outgrown most "normal" seats by height RFing including 40 lb forward facing seats, the Marathon/blvd/decathalon etc. She still fit in the Radian and True Fit however the Radian days are quickly coming to an end. So while there probably aren't 22 lb kids who will outgrow a seat by height, there are some 24-28 lb kids who will. What do you do with those kids then, KWIM? Force parents to buy the tallest seat? What if it doesn't fit in their vehicle? Then what? That's the problem we run into. That's why I have a feeling those FFing minimums are going to stay where they are for a while because while most 1 year olds are the same size, once you get to 2-3 years old kids drastically have different sizes and shapes.

So while the majority aren't weirdly shaped, there are still plenty of super big/super little kids those rules just won't work with. There are numerous kids who don't hit even 30 lbs until 4-6 years old (i can't imagine a 35 or 40 lb FFing minimum) and to not allow a seat they can forward face in even if they are too tall for RFing opens a whole nother can of worms

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC