Signo v Signo G2, any difference?

Splash

AJ saw the Signo G2 yesterday and really liked it. I am reluctant to buy it since the Recaro convertibles have been pretty widely disliked, but if she likes it, her van, oh well. I just want to know if there is any difference that should warrant paying full price for the G2 versus sale price (or buying used) the old one.

ADS

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i should be getting two any day now and can let you know, if no one answers i will post back

Splash

Sam.
I know it doesn't last long RF because of the short seat pan. I can recline the vehicle seats some, to give him more room. Really, if it gives me another 1.5-2 years, I'd consider it money well spent. Even if it only gave me a year RF I could live with it. But, Sam is a pretty small kid (esp compared to the kid we are used to). I can get the G2 local for $270 total, I can buy the Signo used for $150.

As long as it's comfy and safe for the kid, that's all I care about. If AJ gets a hernia loading him, well, I warned her. Although it really doesn't seem any higher than the BV.

Sam has been through-
Priori
Roundabout
Marathon
Boulevard
SS1
Cocorro
True Fit
EFTA

Yes, I have owned every seat on that list for him trying to find him THE seat. The Roundabout was the absolute worst, the MA and black BV (which I sold) were fine (BV was great) but too big in the backseat. The Priori (which I lusted over and fondled and loved) made him inconsolable with life hatred. The EFTA dug into his belly BAD. The TrueFit was my all around fav but the crotch strap was too short. The SS1 was/is perfect and I have no complaints about that but it's time for a convertible. The brown BV is defective, you can see pics on an earlier thread. The Cocorro, even though we never got to use the amazing infant insert (he was too big by the time we got it), is fabulous and fits him wonderfully and so cozy and honestly I am really thinking of buying another one of those... but it's a niche seat that is perfect for my car but the van can take any seat I throw at it, why buy the teeny one?

My baby is very short, with a very round belly and very very very fat thighs. He's cloth diapered and his rise is too short for his fat belly so his diapers bunch and that, I think, creates a lot of the problem. And, overall, he's just an oddly shaped little mutant. I just want a comfy seat for him that will last at least a year, maybe two, that he will love and be happy in. I don't care if I have to import it from Mongolia.

firemomof3

Ya, you should totally try the G2 :D
I think you'll love the smooth harness adjustor and hopefully Sam will find it warm and cozy :love:

all together ooky

Heh heh. I was going to mention the Recaros for Sam but figured you had ruled that one out. Go for it, but I still think you should just get another Cocorro and wait to see what new comes out in the next year. Since he's short it'll last him a while. :twocents:

So, what is the real difference in the G2 vs. the old one? Anybody?

firemomof3

According to elitecarseats they G2 has an improved latch bar and the shoulder pads are not quite as big and "puffy". Plus the cover is a little different and oh the price is higher...other than that its the same.

romanoma

If those are the only diffs, I'd get the cheaper one, especially after all the seats you've already had to try!! My DD always seems very comfy in her original signo, FWIW. And she seems to have TOO MUCH room at her hips/thighs.

And have you tried a myride yet?

arly1983

I liked the original Signo and if I needed to have kept mine, I would have happily BUT I like to change seats...

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I think you should get another Cocorro and be done with the seat parade :love: You love it, it fits him and all the vehicles well, and it will last him at least 2 more years :)

marjen

I had the original Signo, and now have the G2. I would definitely get the original...especially with the much lower price. Don't get me wrong, I love the G2 (I got it as a replacement for my recalled original Signo)...but I don't feel the differences are that great. The harness covers are definitely much better on the G2 (I didn't even use the ones on the old one because they were so bad), but the other improvements are minor IMO.

I know a lot of people have issue with the Recaro seats, but I love mine. It does have cons (what seat doesn't?)...but I like how cozy my DD is in it, and I LOVE the harness adjuster :D

disbugsmomma

Have they changed the crotch strap on the Recaro seats yet? If not, that strap is super long and the buckle will dig in. I'm almost at the point where I'm considering switching that out with a Britax buckle. :rolleyes:

Splash

I haven't tried a MR in the vehicle, I really think she'd like that and he would as well. But it's so reclined she refuses to believe me when I tell her I can force it more upright. It's okay, I'll just buy him the Signo and he'll enjoy it.
Though I also told her to put the infant insert back in the BV and see if that helps the head slump. It should, because it should even out the level of the seat and the headrest. if that helps, then we might just leave him in the BV.

Mommy0608

Tyler is in an old-style Signo. It does have a very long crotch strap, which for him, is nice. He's very round and long in the belly/butt area, so this works great for him. He's rather basketball-shaped when he sits. :p

It's getting a bit tricky to get him in the Signo in our van ('09 GC) because of the deep sides and headwings. However, part of that is because he hit the "there's no way I'm going to let you buckle me in without a massive fight" phase. Fun stuff.

Once Jessica has to go FF, we'll switch seats. She'll use the Signo FF and Tyler will use the True Fit RF (assuming the shorter crotch buckle isn't an issue).

As for the differences, I think I read somewhere that the distance between the shoulder straps is slightly wider on the G2.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I was thinking the same thing about the long crotch strap - it might just work out great for you. I think I am going to get DD a raspberry G2 when DS is old enough to go into her original Signo, so the new colors alone make the G2 worth it to me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC