Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Coccoro vs Cheap "Travel" seat? Input please.

In my never ending quest for a the perfect travel seat I have come up with yet another scenario. I have read and seen pics about the coccoro and think it looks really neat and small which seems like it would be great for flying and for my carolla when kid #2 comes around (if everything goes according to plan the next kid would likely be born some time next fall.) I currently have a Safety 1st All in one which is pretty narrow compared to some but is pretty heavy to have to haul (we have a TEN HOUR layover in LAX after flying 13 hours in a plane!) so I think I want another seat to travel with. My options I think are: The ever popular Scenera OR I figured out how to get a Coccoro from diapers.com for under $130 and that is pretty tempting. What would you do? Also, how do you like the Evenflo Tribute? I saw one at Kmart last night and unless my eyes were just tired it looked a little shorter than the Scenera and perhaps slightly narrower? Thanks so much!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Coccoro vs Cheap "Travel" seat? Input please.

How old is your child? How big? Does s/he have a long or short torso? What slots is s/he in in his/her seat?

I would not recommend the Tribute, it's not a very long-lasting seat at all. It's definitely shorter than the Scenera but I don't think it's narrower; not sure though...

The Scenera will last longer rear-facing by both weight and height than the Coccoro (though only slightly by weight.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    How old is your child? How big? Does s/he have a long or short torso? What slots is s/he in in his/her seat?

I would not recommend the Tribute, it's not a very long-lasting seat at all. It's definitely shorter than the Scenera but I don't think it's narrower; not sure though...

The Scenera will last longer rear-facing by both weight and height than the Coccoro (though only slightly by weight.)

DD is 14 months, 21lbs and skinny and long. She's on the second to last slots on her Safety 1st all in one. Maybe I'll go to Walmart tonight and put her in the Scenera. I guess my concern (though it might no be a legitimate one???) is the lack of cushion in the Scenera. Compared to her current seat it seems really hard but maybe she won't care? Thanks for the reply!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

If she's skinny and long I would not recommend the Coccoro. The Scenera maybe but if you prefer more cushioning, you might prefer the Safety 1st Avenue, which has a nicer cover and also has EPP foam for energy absorption. It also has a taller shell and top slots and will last longer both rear- and forward-facing. It's at Kmart and Sears.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I second the vote for the Ave, I was going to replace dgd2 scenera with one for Christmas but she's over two and her parents won't keep her rf even though she's small and would be safer so I'm now onto the new EG65 but thats a tangent for you the AVENUE would be great!

Mommy to my 1st*princess*Born@Home7/23/2010 in a S1st OBA35
    Grateful Godmommy to my loves :DGS1-07/26/01,DGD1-12/02/05,DGD2-06/01/07,DGS2-11/21/08,DGS3 09/10/09